Factory Grille, Air Deflector Removal?

Carlwalski

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

As some of you may know, in another thread I'm looking at ways to drop the temp down a little in The Batram. I was looking at a fairly decent aftermarket oil cooler to sit in the LH side of the bay near the water bottles, mounted vertically (top to bottom) so I can get a big bastard in there (15"+). Then, DUH, I remembered, we have those plastic air deflectors on each side. Do they REALLY deflect air and do their job or are they basically doing jack shit lol

I might/want to remove mine if others have done so or even if they haven't. Anyone have any reasons for NOT removing them? If you have, please chime in, photos without them would be appreciated. I did a search and 2 or 3 threads came up, several members stating they've done it, but no photos or comments other than saying "they've done it". Mine is all black behind there anyhow, nuts/washers etc black so I'm not worried about the eyesore factor of "having my nuts exposed", pun intended. To me, having them removed means the same amount of air into the bay, into the CAI box and into my (soon to be) oil cooler and more air directly into the radiator, no? :dontknow: For reference, the factory also calls them: "Air Blockers".

Cheers,
Carl

GrilleAirDeflectors.jpg

AirBlockers.jpg

Last edited:
if i remember correctly someone tried removing them before and noticed that there temps raised. but sure someone else will chime in shortly.

LoveThisTruck said:
I removed mine... no problems. My temp usually stays around 270-280.
Is this a joke or a typo? :laugh: Don't you mean 170-180?? :confused:

Thanks Scooby but those images are of the radiator area, the "deflectors" them self are IN the grille/hood itself. ;)

Mine are gone too Carl.

I deleted mine to get rid of plastic...

I have not noticed any major issues...they might be important at high speeds in terms of directing air flow around the engine compartment, and they may direct air towards the oil cooler too...but mine are gone and never missed.

Carlwalski said:

Thanks Scooby but those images are of the radiator area, the "deflectors" them self are IN the grille/hood itself. ;)

Oh yeah, you know what I mean:p It's 5:30 in the freakin morning and I'm still at work.:dontknow: ;)

Thanks guys! I'm sure you'll all agree, if Prof does something, it's 100% safe lol. Seriously. I've seen your engine build list Roy, you're fussy so I know you wouldn't just rip them out and left it as a guessing game without going through a check list first. Wonder how much they weigh each, they'd have to be at least 1-2lbs each, it all helps. I'm going to remove mine but would still like input from those who have done it. It would be interesting to know how many have.

Cheers!

Probably half a pound total...

Just hated cleaning them...and the plastic look was just not for me.

Fussy????

Cantankerous maybe...and maybe a little fussy...

That all, eek! I haven't touched them let alone weigh them, thought they'd be more than that looking at the photos. Well, I guess it does "all" count. I'm only doing it for the purpose of more air into the rad and more importantly, direct air flow and amounting position for an aftermarket oil cooler.

mine were taken out on the QC, didnt notice a difference. i think youll be safe

Thanks Eddie. ;)

Does anyone have any photos with them removed, curious to see what it'll look like. Probably a cleaner finish.

Carlwalski said:

lol sorry. have not had my hood open in months.

Thanks mate, that looks clean even with those big intercooler pipes, nice and symmetrical by the way, nice work!
I think it'll look cleaner, especially with everything blacked out. Thanks for the eye candy!

mine are gone too....my understanding was they are there to keep the front end from raising at speed (150 MPH)

Another new twist, thanks Sanchoba. I doubt anyone has or anything they could actually notice or see using their gauges but, worth asking.
Has anyone who has done it noticed their temperatures drop or rise from doing so? I highly doubt it but worth asking. :D

Also, just out of curiosity, the diagram I posted is a little messy, how many screws/clips/bolts per side to remove them?
I know it'll be easy but it's 4:20am and I can't get to sleep so just getting the ball rolling........

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back