Fast shifting!

ViperPete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took this vid yesterday of me shifting the Viper to about 165 mph.

I am so happy that I finally learned how to shift this car. Gas flat on the floor and tapping the clutch. Runs like a champ. I love this car. The WannaGoFast event really was amazing because I learned how to shift it properly. The first couple of runs I couldn't do it and then I got the hang of it! Can we shift the Viper trucks like this?

http://youtu.be/2wJlG-qIQ88

Last edited:
I thought Gen 5 vipers had a no lift shift feature that allows this, I know the c7 vettes do.

I wouldnt try this in the truck, these thing can be difficult to knock off a 2 - 3 shift perfectly. I remember when I first got mine about 2 weeks later I knocked a 2 - 3 shift straight into first. Not sure how many times it may have happen with the prior owners of my truck but I do now when I had it the motor rebuilt they told me a i had a few very slightly bent push rods.

Looked good sounded good. I was wondering if the truck would do it so i went and tried just now. It will, but i dont think i would want to very much. Might fuck up the synchronizers after doing it too much. I went from 1st through 4th perfect. Tried again and missed 4th. Had a little grind too. When i did it the first time i shifted at 5600. The second time at 5800 and missed 4th.

When working a short stick (as I often do) I've had the best results from palming the top of the knob (shifter) like you did on the 3,4,5 shifts. Lol

With the 1970's style Hurst pistol grip shifter in my 10 it's almost impossible to use this method. Putting the console/center seat up helped a lot.

O yea nice shorts.

I took this vid yesterday of me shifting the Viper to about 165 mph.

I am so happy that I finally learned how to shift this car. Gas flat on the floor and tapping the clutch. Runs like a champ. I love this car. The WannaGoFast event really was amazing because I learned how to shift it properly. The first couple of runs I couldn't do it and then I got the hang of it! Can we shift the Viper trucks like this?

http://youtu.be/2wJlG-qIQ88

With all due respect, I see some transmission synchros in your future.

For racing, yup!

It's not like I drive the car everyday like that lol

It's your car so have at it.
There is plenty of in car video on the web of professional drivers upshifting and downshifting the correct way. Even with a no clutch version Jerico, they advise a certain amount of clutch slippage factored in or it will be in a million pieces.

Holding the throttle down thru a shift ain't the way. But be my guest, it's your vehicle.

Here's a great writeup by Nineball... Accomplished racer and Viper owner/enthusiast.

Give it a read. Good stuff. When I'm shifting the car like that (power shifting) it doesn't feel bad in any way to the car. The transmission goes into gear smooth as silk.

I've owned many manual transmission cars, and never blew a tranny, never smoked a clutch, never ruined any part of a drivetrain. I really don't see what the big deal is as long as you don't miss a shift. The engine is spinning, the transmission is spinning- the engine revving slightly faster than the transmission for 100th of a second while the shift is occurring shouldn't do any harm.

My truck on occasion for no apparent reason will grind 3rd at 3k rpms and gently shifting- so I appreciate you're warnings- but they aren't necessary.

http://nineballgarage.com/2015/05/precision-shifting-a-manual/

Last edited:
After reading that.
Got to take a hacksaw to the 1970's style Hurst pistol grip shifter in my truck. Pretty much can only grab it one way.

After reading that.
Got to take a hacksaw to the 1970's style Hurst pistol grip shifter in my truck. Pretty much can only grab it one way.

LOL

I actually hated that shifter in my truck. I got Tony's shifter as soon as humanly possible

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back