FAST TRUCKS NEED ROLL CAGES

I did find out via my brother it was the first pass in that car for the guy. I don't understand why people don't do shake down passes. Even the first time in the truck I only took it to 600'. There are a lot of things that involve the topic of safety. Common sense and lack of ego is a big one. Nobody deserves to die in this situation. It should serve as a reminder of why you respect speed.

1Fast400 said:
I did find out via my brother it was the first pass in that car for the guy. I don't understand why people don't do shake down passes. Even the first time in the truck I only took it to 600'. There are a lot of things that involve the topic of safety. Common sense and lack of ego is a big one. Nobody deserves to die in this situation. It should serve as a reminder of why you respect speed.

You would think he would have known better.

It doesn't matter how good you are, or how fast you have gone in other vehicles. You have to learn how each vehicle behaves. They are all different, even when they are the same makes.

I agree. He would have likely been ok had he not got back into it at 400'. He lost control, tried to correct and then punched it again, sending him off the track.

RIP, sorry to hear about this had a friend a couple of years ago get in a accident at a 1/8 miles track he had a cage but it broke his neck and left him paralized from the neck down hes in a wheelchair now, still goes to the track every week but its a sad situation.

My track is a NHRA track.............nobody has ever died there since it opened over 40 years ago.......tech inspection is not taken lightly.

Its a shame when people get hurt and or die when it could have been avoided..........RIP

patrick

A friend of mine was talking about a group or body that allows this type of racing... I dont recall the name of it.. but I could not believe the things he was telling me... I told him that I would never be associated with such a group, as I value my life far too much..

1. No Helmets requred for 10 second or slower!!!!
2. No cages required at all.
3. No SFI approved parts required (ie: tranny shields, safety loops, etc..)

It was basically a group that was "run what you brung".... almost sounds like something that these kids who street race with their ricers came up with...

Off my soap box now..

It is always OK to lift off the throttle.

Once I have lifted the run is over, period.

In a new vehicle quite a few or maybe even a few dozen shake down passes are the norm.

I remember my first few passes down a track. My brother made me start out with just a 60' run, then two 330's and then finally an 1/8th mile pass. Hell, that was in a 7.0's duster (11.20's in the 1/4). At that age I thought I was flying :).

This week I'm making an offer on an avenger that runs in the 8's :) I'll let my brother make a few passes before I nut up and go. Needless to say, a track rental is in order.

1Fast400 said:
I remember my first few passes down a track. My brother made me start out with just a 60' run, then two 330's and then finally an 1/8th mile pass. Hell, that was in a 7.0's duster (11.20's in the 1/4). At that age I thought I was flying :).

This week I'm making an offer on an avenger that runs in the 8's :) I'll let my brother make a few passes before I nut up and go. Needless to say, a track rental is in order.

If you get the Avenger, be sure to post pictures.

Here is the ad copy:

2000 Dodge Avenger 346 cubic inch motor made 838hp. built by Jeff Taylor and Patterson. Car runs 5.60's in eighth and 8.80's in quarter. Pro trans, A-1 converter, on-board computer, turbo start 16 volt system, 2 hoods if interested in running GT, and much more. To much to list. Car runs in several classes in IHRA runs SS/PCA1, SS/PDA1, SS/AS, and SS/BS; in NHRA runs SS/CM, SS/AS, or SS/BS

I should know by end of week if he accepts.

Attachments

• 5334736462368.jpg
    5334736462368.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 81
1Fast400 said:

Was your brother there? I heard he had run the car in Canton about a month ago, ran in the 5s in the eighth mile and it had no cage. If that car had a cage it should not have been torn up that bad.

My brother wasn't there, but is good friends with a lot of people around the situation. My brother does announcing for various racing organizations and the guy that was to announce there missed his flight. That guy had done it for the past 4 years. He does all the ADRL and stuff as well. I think most of his information came from him.

Silver, the car has a full interior (per rules). I'm going to use it to run ihra/nhra and a few big footbrake races (no box) races. Although the no box races, we'll throw in a different motor. This motor is only good for about 200 runs before it needs rods/bearings/rings :)

Ok my first thought when I hit 140 on the test drive before purchase was this truck NEEDS a roll cage. Ok maybe the first thing was HELL FRIGGIN YEAH I AM BUYIN THIS TRUCK! so maybe it was the 2nd thought, or 3rd.....

Hey I was excited that nite, but that thought was in there somewhere....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I will be workin on one for my rig this spring...:dancing:

Anyone have a line on a daily driver roll cage? Or is anyone's truck here caged?

i bought my cage in a "kit" form,,,,,when i started the install i soon realised i wasted my money,,,lol

its a ton of work,,,and you will need the help of a couple good friends

my truck is a lightning,,,,but its the same thing,,,,except for all the pool equipment

5.jpg

Multimed2.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Cage Pics

Pics of the roll cage in the silver truck

Attachments

• Cage Silver Dodge.JPG
    Cage Silver Dodge.JPG
    692.5 KB · Views: 4,583
  • Cage Silver Dodge 1.JPG
    Cage Silver Dodge 1.JPG
    728.4 KB · Views: 728
  • Cage Silver Dodge 5.JPG
    Cage Silver Dodge 5.JPG
    513.2 KB · Views: 868
  • Cage Silver Dodge 3.JPG
    Cage Silver Dodge 3.JPG
    448.6 KB · Views: 1,552
Cage from the bed

Cage from the bed. The cage is all Chrome molly and NHRA certified to 8.50

The wheel wells have been massaged also.

Attachments

• Cage Silver Dodge 2.JPG
    Cage Silver Dodge 2.JPG
    763.2 KB · Views: 6,993

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back