FAST TRUCKS NEED ROLL CAGES

mopower1958

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys that are spending big money making your trucks fast please look at these pictures of what used to be a mustang. The driver was a local guy who was a "HIRED DRIVER" due to his small size and light weight. The car was a stock suspension mustang running in the outlaw 10.5 class. Had a 500+ inch big block and ran in the 8s. IT HAD NO ROLL CAGE!!!!!! Monday evening they were having a Fat Tuesday test and tune at a drag strip in Hattiesburg,Ms. He launched the car and it got loose with him,jumped the guard rail then hit the concrete post in the second pic. He was killed instantly. Guys please take time to install a cage in these faster trucks for your own sake!!!!

what a shame.if we put a cage in our trucks big enough to hold this heavy monster together i would have to be 4" pipe.:D

That is such a shame for him and his family. It is also disappointing that a track would allow a car of that power to run without life saving safety items. Thank you for the post, sorry for all parties associated to him and his team.

my sentiments exactly - sorry for the loss to anyone that knows this guy, but what kind of chicken farm fucking track let's anything below 10.99 run without a cage - just a 4 point is necessary, 6 pt as you get faster and for that kind of speed you are required for a 8pt or higher. Most guys are running 10pt cages with a full funny car driver set up.

horrible to hear about this kind of stuff - what a piece of shit that built the car without the cage!

I hope he didn't feel any pain..........R.I.P. The cage idea sounds real good after seeing that mess. Has anyone done a cage in their truck and what vendor do you guys suggest. I'd love to see some pics of any Ram SRT's with the cage.

would there even be room inside the cab for a cage without changing at least the front seats out for something smaller?there is no room from the seat to the rocker panels to speak of.same in the back if ya have a qc.:dontknow: i`m sure it could be done but not without giving up some creature comforts and some serious interior modification.

the car was a coupe and it was caged. you can see part of the cage in the top pic by the guys right arm. the story is the car hit the pole on the drivers side at over 100mph. the car tore completely in half. that is roof to the guys left and that is the left rear quarter on the trailer.

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=884762

He had lost control of the car and got back into it, trying to save it.

That thread mentions that there might not have even been belts, and that he was ejected?!?

The post about there being a cage (as evidenced by the first photo) doesn't seem to show one (or what's left of one). Just looks like frame and exhaust sticking out.

Ouch.

I've been thinking about what it would take to fab up a cage in the RC that wouldn't really screw up the interior. For a 4-point, the roof hoop is no big deal, but where do you connect your angled supports? Do you run them forward and have to slide over to get in the seat, or do you run them back through penetrations in the cab and bed to get down to the frame? I guess a 6-point would need both? Whatever the case, a cage would be tough.

Last edited:
Our favorite track is somewhat tolerant, but they do have their limits.

When I went 10's in my Syclone a couple years back, I got tossed out for not having a cage. Though, with All-wheel-Drive I think it's much more controllable than any RWD car, but rules is rules. Stuff like this makes you realize why the rules are there. R.I.P.

Amen .................. RIP :(

To be honest, a roll cage might have made a difference but with the car like it was, it would have been a coin flip if he lives or dies.

I remember haulinasp talkin about building a roll cage?? (Or I think I remember that) .............. :dontknow:

That is one thing I would definitely want done if I were going to race the truck :rock:

RIP....:( i have seen some ford f150 svt lightning with roll cage..look nice and more safety but i never see a ram srt10 with a roll cage and i would like to see what it would look like

I am starting on the cage this spring. How the heck did they let that car pass tech????

HaulinAsp said:
I am starting on the cage this spring. How the heck did they let that car pass tech????

I haven't been to a Fat Tuesday race but from what I hear it is a big party,side betting,drug dealers from up north with high dollar cars and from what I understand it is run what you brung. Not a sanctioned event from any governing body.Maybe somebody will get their head out of their butt and start teching these cars.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back