Feeding our Green Tree Python

dizzle81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if anyone takes offense to watching cute mice meet thier maker.
Really I just decided to try photobucket and wanted to see if I did it right.
This is the first time I've tried hosting any photos.

SAM_1278.jpg

SAM_1277.jpg

SAM_1272.jpg

:rock::rock::rock:

is their squeezin to kill their meal or crush the bones so they can swallow it easier:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

high quality photos:rock:

pythons are constrictors....

i don't think it's about how small they can make their food...

but that's how they kill it so it doesn't try to crawl it's way out of it's belly:D

thanks, man:rock::rock:

i get the color part now, lol:D

thx everyone. We are hoping he will stay yellow although the majority turn green, some even turn blue. The babies are always yellow or red. The length will depend on the sex with the females growing to around six feet. I try to take pics at every feeding as I just love watching it. This one was pretty bad because he grabbed the mouse at a funny angle and ended up bending him in half like a taco then squeezing it to death. That was the first time one has ever bled like that.

nice pet.

I had a buddy with a pet rattlesnake ( western diamond back) "pierce". feeding time was always fun.

I also had another friend with an egyptian sand snake, this thing would stay hidden until feeding time. You would literally be place a small mouse in what appeared to be an empty aquarium full of sand. The thing would spring up out of the sand and strike.

In socal we used to catch king snakes all day long and just put em around our necks and walk around they are pretty tame.

Whats wierd is when they feed snakes at the zoo, they kill the mouse first and crush it. Kinda wierd cuz I thought snakes only ate what they killed, but a zoo will only feed them dead animals.

nice pet.

I had a buddy with a pet rattlesnake ( western diamond back) "pierce". feeding time was always fun.

I also had another friend with an egyptian sand snake, this thing would stay hidden until feeding time. You would literally be place a small mouse in what appeared to be an empty aquarium full of sand. The thing would spring up out of the sand and strike.

In socal we used to catch king snakes all day long and just put em around our necks and walk around they are pretty tame.

Whats wierd is when they feed snakes at the zoo, they kill the mouse first and crush it. Kinda wierd cuz I thought snakes only ate what they killed, but a zoo will only feed them dead animals.
I know some people who don't like using live feeders. They get frozen mice and rats then thaw em. Right before they feed those they put em in hot water so they have a thermal signature. I guess snakes can't tell the difference between warm alive and warm dead.

You know... I'm sure the zoo's do that because of some legal/humanitarian bullshit. But, I think that is LESS humane than putting the live feed-animal into the enclosure and letting nature take it's course. :confused:

You know... I'm sure the zoo's do that because of some legal/humanitarian bullshit. But, I think that is LESS humane than putting the live feed-animal into the enclosure and letting nature take it's course. :confused:

I don't doubt that there is some legal hippie BS there. Also, they're feeding on a mass scale... feeding frozen/thawed makes things easier. Plus, the snakes can be injured during live feeding. This is why most serious keepers don't feed live unless they have to.

I don't know about the "crushing" part:confused: Never heard of such a thing. Pretty sure there's some confusion there.

Reptiles are awesome. Always wanted a chameleon...a real one. But, they'll never care about you though. I guess with some "pets" that doesn't matter though. Had a big Tarantula once - loved watching that thing and she was beautiful.

Just saw a pic on one of the weird sites....Anaconda ate a whole sheep. It was a big snake and you just knew it could eat you too without much problem.

Reptiles are awesome. Always wanted a chameleon...a real one. But, they'll never care about you though. I guess with some "pets" that doesn't matter though. Had a big Tarantula once - loved watching that thing and she was beautiful.

Just saw a pic on one of the weird sites....Anaconda ate a whole sheep. It was a big snake and you just knew it could eat you too without much problem.

My wifes chameleon died after 6 years that was part of the reason we got the GTP. As for the pets that love back we have a pug and a Bernese cat. I also picked up a Mexican red knee trantula a while ago. She's molted three times and is about the size of my palm. Love watchin her eat too.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back