Fight to save Tators Dodge Video

iraqivet01 said:
Bad management and crappy and unsellable product. Surprise chrysler has stayed around as long as it has.

German's even thru in the towel on them.
So then you dont like Chrysler and Dodge cars and products?

nycstev said:

i don't, i think they have made crap for as long as i have been driving.
for pity sake the first thing i had to do was to put lock tight on bolts i should never have to remove. then i have to replace oil lines that leak. they used a shit slave cylinder that does not always work when driving hard, all in a truck that cost $60K. i blew up more Chrysler front drive transmission then i can number, K-cars were worthless. they cant wire a car to save a life.

i could go on all day how bad Chrysler makes cars, and if BMW made a v10 pickup i would have bought one.

i bought this truck for one main reason. from the time i was a child i wanted a dodge ram. i love the front end they have. everything else looks square and boxy.

nycstev said:
Lets see how hourly rates are calculated in a typical business. Im not sure what hourly rate a dealer uses but lets say avg $35. In my business ( construction ) it's done like this. This assuming union shop.

Base rate $35.00
Labor burden (36.3%)
FICA 14.4%
Medicaire 1.45%
Fed .8%
State 9.4%
Work Comp 6.66%
Liability 2.61%
$ 12.70

Fringes $ 22.00

Tool rental 1.0% .47

Total labor Rate $70.17

SO $70.17 IS THE DEALERS COST WITHOUT PROFIT FOR EACH MANHOUR

Whats overhead 10-15%? $10.50

So dealer must charge $80.67 per hour and still hasn't made any profit!

So 90-100 per hour is not unreasonable

I was going to post the same thing, its amazing what it costs to operate a dealership.

scoobert said:
i allways wanted to open a shop here in town called $45 per hour. i could have made a killing. most stealers here are charging over 100 now days. PLUS they charge list price on parts. the markup on parts is about 300%. so when you say they need to add all that shit to get to 90 per hour cost, you probally dont take the list priced parts into account.

i like repair shops to be honest, the shop i mentioned before was straight up with me, they told me they charge for parts what i would pay when i walk in, that is to say retail, they might get 10% off at most.

its a matter of honesty. not saying this dealer was dishonest, but most dealerships i have found are.

You will go broke charging $45/hour no matter who you are. EDIT: unless you work out of your double car garage that is connected to your house and is already paid for. Anything other than that and you will starve.

300% for parts? Where are you getting your stats from? Maybe In a Harley or Catipillar dealerships, but never in automotive will you ever find a mark up like that. Different price ranges of parts are matrixed differently, but the average markup on any part is 3o points or 43%.

when i went to honda they wanted 120 for the part, i went to my friend and had him order it, it cost him 25. and that price was dealer installed.

something else missing here is dealers charge by book hours. some jobs that the book lists 4 hours of work take only about an hour. so a mechanic can pull down 20 flat rate hours in a typical day. at least the place i worked briefly they did, pepboys and they use the same Michell's guide.

i believe i could make the $45 an hour work in volume. 20 bays 15 mechanics. most places here have less then 10 bays and 5 or so mechanics. if you turn out enough volume it could be done. i don't believe dealers turn out allot of volume. might be wrong.

yellowfever#154 said:
I was going to post the same thing, its amazing what it costs to operate a dealership.
Yes . Most lay people do not have a clue. You have to charge 90-100 /hr just to make 10 bucks for your self. All these other people either have people working off the books, dont show income tax, dont have Workers comp ins OR Liability ins etc. An most are just a one or two man operation. So of course they will charge less. They wear all the hats. Mechanic, service writer,
secretary and so forth.

nycstev said:
Yes . Most lay people do not have a clue. You have to charge 90-100 /hr just to make 10 bucks for your self. All these other people either have people working off the books, dont show income tax, dont have Workers comp ins OR Liability ins etc. An most are just a one or two man operation. So of course they will charge less. They wear all the hats. Mechanic, service writer,
secretary and so forth.

that's the ones i like, small family owned shops. very personal. they need to do a good job when they work where they live.

scoobert said:
thats what i said originally. dealership is just a name. a name that lets them charge more for the same product.
last time i had work done at a $40 per hour shop the job was done wrong. he didn't bitch, complain moan or groan, he went right back tore the engine back out and did it again. (he was doing me a favor, he is a ford mechanic) i only wish i would have gone back to him for the engine swap.
all said and done it cost me $360 with parts. honda wanted $1400. for the same job.
Its so obvious how ignorant you are scoobert. Lets compare a 5 star resteraunt to mcdonalds, gimme a fkn break! Dumbass! ;)

scoobert said:
when i went to honda they wanted 120 for the part, i went to my friend and had him order it, it cost him 25. and that price was dealer installed.

something else missing here is dealers charge by book hours. some jobs that the book lists 4 hours of work take only about an hour. so a mechanic can pull down 20 flat rate hours in a typical day. at least the place i worked briefly they did, pepboys and they use the same Michell's guide.

i believe i could make the $45 an hour work in volume. 20 bays 15 mechanics. most places here have less then 10 bays and 5 or so mechanics. if you turn out enough volume it could be done. i don't believe dealers turn out allot of volume. might be wrong.

It doesnt work that way, the more volume the more over head. You would make even less money with that many people. Bigger buildings, more tools, more service writers, more paper, more computers, more everything. Which equals LESS MONEY. If dealerships could charge less money and have more volume dont you think they would have done it already? There smart enough to know it cannot be done. Like said above a dealer needs $100 to profit $10 and I believe even $10 is too high, the average dealership will put 2-3% in the bank with $100 to $120 labour rates.

Another thing, for you to employee 15 mechanics that all could beat flat rate by 400% like you talk about they are not going to work for you for something under $45/hour. Mechanics of that caliber make $45 +/hour. and work 1/2 days and still get paid for 8 - 10 hours. Why would they work for you?

Last edited:
yellowfever#154 said:
Another thing, for you to employee 15 mechanics that all could beat flat rate by 400% like you talk about they are not going to work for you for something under $45/hour. Mechanics of that caliber make $45 +/hour. and work 1/2 days and still get paid for 8 - 10 hours. Why would they work for you?

i have never ran into a dealership mechanic that made more then $22 per hour, and that one was there for 22 years.

scoobert said:
i have never ran into a dealership mechanic that made more then $22 per hour, and that one was there for 22 years.
Two master techs I work with both make 28 dollars an hour, oh and our certified sprinter master (who happens to be 25 years old) makes 35 bucks an hour. ;)

nycstev said:

Only bought the truck was due to it was a limited production, from 74 on, Dodge has consistently put out a cheap product that has no resale.

scoobert said:

Well thats just sad, whos fault is it that a 22 year mechanic is making only $22. Probably his, either 2 things hes a pussy and wont ask for more or he sucks at his job. Plain and simple. I personally know mechanics here that make 120K per year, myself included but I am not automotive I am agricultural.

yellowfever#154 said:
Well thats just sad, whos fault is it that a 22 year mechanic is making only $22. Probably his, either 2 things hes a pussy and wont ask for more or he sucks at his job. Plain and simple. I personally know mechanics here that make 120K per year, myself included but I am not automotive I am agricultural.

did you do the conversion?
in my job i charge 1.85 a mile American, most Canada drivers charge $2.00 per kilometer.

Your a idiot Scoobert. Im out of this conversation, some people just dont listen.

Edit: We charge $3/loaded km for our trucks.

nycstev said:
What's in going in for? Whatever it is you WILL NOT be dissapointed.

Just a few things i dont want to tackle myself...plugs, Stinker's wires and power steering lines, intake swap for a JMB white one, TB install, headers, Viper slave upgrade and mount and balance my new BFG KDWs...:D

I guess now wouldn't be a good time to compair the rates we charge at the STD clinic to the rates scoobert charges, but just so you all know, we do charge a higher rate for those that live out of county

would you guys believe that in a dealership the new car sales dept is what actually turns a profit for the place?

The Repair part of the dealership makes 75 to 90% of what it takes to keep the lights on, property note, payroll, etc.

Even at very efficient BMW dealer like the one i work at, at out best we generate 90% of what is needed to break even for the month.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back