Final drive - opinions please

nathanfreke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

After doing my manual tranny conversion on my QC i've decided that the gears are far too long and want to change the final drive to make the truck feel a bit more alive through the gears.

Now i've done some research and as my truck is a late 05 model I have a 4.56 final drive.

After doing some calks between the 4.88 and the 5.13 i'm leaning towards the 5.13.

I've done some searching on the forum and can only see people who have gone to a 4.88 from a 4.10, not a 4.56.

I'm not bothered about cruising in 6th gear as thats not what I use the truck for; its purely for fun!

Any people with experience of the 5.13 please let me know your thoughts!

Dang a 5.13? If your going to make any sort of power, you will already give up 1st gear for sure...

Yes it would render 1st almost useless. I can easily take off in 2nd gear with 4.56 gears. 5.13 seems to deep to me but there are a couple hear running them. One for sure! ;)
I think you should give it more time. Unless someone has put 4.10 in yours for some reason? :dontknow:

Sounds like you should have altered your 5th 6th gear when you put in your trans, that would keep 1-4 with good use and the top two much more hot rod

If your truck has any torque. like another 100 ft/lbs. you will enjoy the 4:10 gear. kinda like the old 2 speed powerglide. 2 longass gears!! I might just go back to 4:10 yet! .........

If your truck has any torque. like another 100 ft/lbs. you will enjoy the 4:10 gear. kinda like the old 2 speed powerglide. 2 longass gears!! I might just go back to 4:10 yet! .........

I'm considering myself. I need more time it he power band of 4th and not redlining 4th. I can totally feel it lose power after 56-5700

Here in the uk our roads are very narrow and twisty. Doing 40mph in first and nearly 70 in second to me seems totally pointless. The gears feel long and drawn out and I think it'd give the truck a huge kick up the ass and a proper grin factor if it has far shorter ratios.

I'm assuming that my truck has a 4.56 but I guess it's plausible that it's a 4.10 - is there any way of telling exactly without removing and counting?

Get another 150rwhp. You can take off in third thinking you're in first.

Here in the uk our roads are very narrow and twisty. Doing 40mph in first and nearly 70 in second to me seems totally pointless. The gears feel long and drawn out and I think it'd give the truck a huge kick up the ass and a proper grin factor if it has far shorter ratios.

I'm assuming that my truck has a 4.56 but I guess it's plausible that it's a 4.10 - is there any way of telling exactly without removing and counting?

Going from a 4.56 to a 5.13 will only change your mph in 1st by about 5 mph, 46.5mph now and 41.4mph with 5.13's.

The only exact way is to count the teeth of the gears, but if you are looking for a good ballpark figure then that isn't too hard. I read you did the manual conversion so just put the trans in the 1:1 gear and jack up your rear, spin you back tires 1 revolution while counting the driveshaft rotations....just over 4 rotations is 4:10, just over 4 1/2 rotations would be 4:56 etc..

I think the 5:13 is a steep gear and if you are looking to make power upgrades in the future ( like we all dream of ) then you are going the wrong way......good luck with your choice !!

More power will be on the cards at some point I'm sure.
I think ill do a count of my final drive then make a choice.

Either way the gears feel far to drawn out for my liking, just gotta decide which one to go for!

The only exact way is to count the teeth of the gears, but if you are looking for a good ballpark figure then that isn't too hard. I read you did the manual conversion so just put the trans in the 1:1 gear and jack up your rear, spin you back tires 1 revolution while counting the driveshaft rotations....just over 4 rotations is 4:10, just over 4 1/2 rotations would be 4:56 etc..

I think the 5:13 is a steep gear and if you are looking to make power upgrades in the future ( like we all dream of ) then you are going the wrong way......good luck with your choice !!

LMAO! You are kinda right... but you don't need to have the truck in gear, that would make for a miserable time trying to spin the rear tires! Also, unless you are running a spool (which you are prob not) then have somebody stand on the other side of the truck to make sure the other tire is rotating at the same rate to get an accurate count. The truck does not have to be in gear as the transmission has nothing to do with this!

Hi,

I've calculated this some time ago (standard wheels on 2004 RC with standard Tremec T56 manual transmission). Unfortunately it's in km/h - but you can easily convert the data to mph.

It shows clearly what speed at which rpm in which gear is possible with different final drive ratios. Also the rpm loss when changing gears is shown.

Hinterachsuumlbersetzung%201.jpg

Hinterachsuumlbersetzung%202.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back