FINALLY bringing my Spirit R/T home...

Wastelands Warrior

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few months back I bought a stock as a rock 91 Spirit R/T, and part of the deal was a repaint, fixing the droopy headliner, and a few others odds and ends. Well, as usual things took a few twists and turns, but tomorrow I'll be on a train out to Western Pa to pick it up. Looking forward to having a fast, economical daily driver that is also pretty rare. :)

A few months back I bought a stock as a rock 91 Spirit R/T, and part of the deal was a repaint, fixing the droopy headliner, and a few others odds and ends. Well, as usual things took a few twists and turns, but tomorrow I'll be on a train out to Western Pa to pick it up. Looking forward to having a fast, economical daily driver that is also pretty rare. :)

Congrats! I know you are excited about getting this car. Any chance you'll be driving back on 78?

Just make sure you keep good oil in it, watch the coolant core plug in the spark plug valley in the head and let it get up to temp before romping on it. Also change the timing belt frequently

Congrats! I know you are excited about getting this car. Any chance you'll be driving back on 78?

Hey Andy, I think I'll be coming back on 80, but if 78 turns out to be the way I'll holla at ya.

Never even heard of it. Please be sure to post some pictures! :)

Dodge only made 'em in 91 and 92. I'll def get some picts

Just make sure you keep good oil in it, watch the coolant core plug in the spark plug valley in the head and let it get up to temp before romping on it. Also change the timing belt frequently

Yessir, all proven facts. I had a Daytona IROC R/T with the TIII so I learned myself all about the quirks. The cool thing about the Spirit is the seller used to work for Dodge in the 80s and 90s so the car has been meticulously maintained. :)

Hey Andy, I think I'll be coming back on 80, but if 78 turns out to be the way I'll holla at ya.

Dodge only made 'em in 91 and 92. I'll def get some picts

Yessir, all proven facts. I had a Daytona IROC R/T with the TIII so I learned myself all about the quirks. The cool thing about the Spirit is the seller used to work for Dodge in the 80s and 90s so the car has been meticulously maintained. :)

The Spirit sould be a turbo 3 engine with the 4 valve Lotus cylinder head.
The Daytona would have been a turbo 4 engine with a Variable nozzle turbo

The Spirit sould be a turbo 3 engine with the 4 valve Lotus cylinder head.
The Daytona would have been a turbo 4 engine with a Variable nozzle turbo

No sir, the 92-93 Daytona IROC R/Ts came with the same T III engine as the 91-92 Spirit R/T. And yes, the T III was equipped with a DOHC 16V cylinder head that was designed by Lotus Engineering in England.

Had a 91 new sat at the dealership 3 months once waiting for a new head old one warped. Broke 2 timing belts, always knew when that happened it would just stopped running. Came with 100,000 mile warranty. Wife's car last stick we owned.That brings back good memories :D

Last edited:
I loved my '90 Shelby Daytona VNT. I even drove it with my '80's hair!! :p

That 4 valve head was like $12,000 back in its day. Had one with a Leaking oil galley plug under warranty. We ended up sending it to a machine shop to have it replaced.

Mine had an coolant leak. Thinking back car came with 7year 70000 mile warranty. They had to get parts for over seas replaced cams had to order ex cam took 3 months.:mad:

They are definitely unique engines with unique issues. Gotta keep up on things. And my train is about 2 hours out from where mine is waiting. :)

My boss told me to pull the trans & replace the rear main seal. The complaint was oil leaking out the bell housing. Once I got it apart I found the real problem. Oil was leaking from the back of the block deck/head gasket area. Once I got the transmission back in & the head off I found the oil galley plug leaking. Chrysler did not want to pay for a new head so we had to get it fixed.

Working at Dodge dealers for years I loved the low production cars. I owned an early Rampage, Omni GLH and then a Shelby CSX-T. I sold all those and bought 2 Spirit RT's. I called them my SHO stoppers. I loved racing the Taurus SHO's with my RT. Sold both cars and made good money. I hope you enjoy your new ride.

Drove the car home straight through on Sat night. Very comfortable and fun to drive. Now just have to get it inspected and then it will be daily driven as much as possible. :)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back