First Blood

riley6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy. I am a proud new papa to an 05 RC black beauty. She had a Ground Effects lowering kit and Magnaflow muffler already installed. But as many of you, I have a sickness for more :nurse: What are the best and cheapest mods to get me 100-150 hp more? I don't want to go over board, I still have to save for a Viper convert. What is the general consensus on head and cam work on an SRT10? I love that dragster crackling sound I've heard on some Vipers. Is there a suspension kit out there to get the truck even lower? Thanks fellow crazies :p

Welcome to the club! You could always do headers,catless mids,CAI,SCT Tuner,Throttle body,OR 1 mod would be a ROE supercharger!

Last edited:
We have a few members with heads/cam packages. To get another 100-150 rwhp nitrous is the cheapest. If you search the archives you'll find out that the pistons are likely not gonna like that much more power and #3 piston will fail first.

Who will be tuning your truck with the mods installed? BE SURE AND HAVE SOMEONE FAMILIAR WITH THE VIPER V10 MOTOR DO YOUR TUNING or bad bad things will happen!

Viper mods and parts as well as labor are very expensive!

I was thinking 100-150 hp at the crank. I plan to have Route 6 motorsports in VA do all my work; I bought the truck from them.

riley6 said:
I was thinking 100-150 hp at the crank. I plan to have Route 6 motorsports in VA do all my work; I bought the truck from them.

Are they co-located with BJ Motors? They sound familiar. The description of your truck reminded me of the one in his ad. Bernie's a good guy, you'll be in good hands.

http://www.bjmotors.biz/2005DodgeRamSRTTruck_7795.html

Did you look at the one for $18,995? Hows it look?

Last edited:
Welcome to the club. First we would like to see some pics. And second if you want a Viper Convert also. I would not bother trying to get that much power from your truck. A Roe would get you there but with the money you spend it would be a good down payment on the car.

Welcome RILEY 6...Congrats on your SRT-10...These trucks are already fast enough but we always need MORE...:D Play safe...:burnout:

Yep that is my baby, picked it up friday! BJ and Rt 6 are the same company. I agree, Bernie is great.

As far as spending money, good point. But I won't be able to get the Viper until my other lease is up (2 years); I don't want to spend more than like 5K. How much gain can I get with that?

Oh, I did not see the $19K srt-10 for sale. It was in one of the other warehouses.

Nitrous/headers/cat delete, shifter, etc would be your best bet for the money you want to spend. Get some M&H drag tires, Eagle wheels for traction without grinding the calipers.

riley6 said:
Howdy. I am a proud new papa to an 05 RC black beauty. She had a Ground Effects lowering kit and Magnaflow muffler already installed. But as many of you, I have a sickness for more :nurse: What are the best and cheapest mods to get me 100-150 hp more? I don't want to go over board, I still have to save for a Viper convert. What is the general consensus on head and cam work on an SRT10? I love that dragster crackling sound I've heard on some Vipers. Is there a suspension kit out there to get the truck even lower? Thanks fellow crazies :p

Hi and Welcome.

The cheapest way to add 100 to 150 HP is with nitrous (as mentioned elsewhere on this thread). Unfortunately that extra power isn't available all the time (bottles run out).
I went the head and cam route and have absolutely no regrets. It isn't the cheapest route but it worked really well and my mileage went UP 20%!
Lots of information on this site regarding superchargers...
P.S. I was looking at the 2008 Vipers yesterday. Beauty. They sure make the Vettes look plain Jane now.

Last edited:
rottenronnie said:
Hi and Welcome.

The cheapest way to add 100 to 150 HP is with nitrous (as mentioned elsewhere on this thread). Unfortunately that extra power isn't available all the time (bottles run out).
I went the head and cam route and have absolutely no regrets. It isn't the cheapest route but it worked really well and my mileage went UP 20%!
Lots of information on this site regarding superchargers...
P.S. I was looking at the 2008 Vipers yesterday. Beauty. They sure make the Vettes look plain Jane now.

That's exactly how I feel about nitrous, I know I would have it flowing like water. How does the head and cam sound? Extra mileage is a big plus nowadays!

Tim (ViperTruck2933) has a sound clip on here somewhere of his heads/cam package through Joe Donovan (Performance by Joe). He traded his truck plus some dough to Bernie for a Viper GTS.

riley6 said:
Sounds sweet! How much hp gain do you think you have with your mods? I see you dont have headers or CAI?

It went from 423 H.P./486 TQ (wheel) last year to 566 H.P./586 TQ this year with the Strikers, cam, tweaks and tuning.

A K&N c.a.i. was my very 1st mod. I didn't like that I lost 13 TQ and 8 H.P. so I took it off. I didn't like the sound either.
The truck just doesn't feel like it needs headers. Normally a gain in torque like that and an even bigger corresponding gain in H.P. is
a good indicator it can breathe.

Last edited:
rottenronnie said:
It went from 423 H.P./486 TQ (wheel) last year to 566 H.P./586 TQ this year with the Strikers, cam, tweaks and tuning.

A K&N c.a.i. was my very 1st mod. I didn't like that I lost 13 TQ and 8 H.P. so I took it off. I didn't like the sound either.
The truck just doesn't feel like it needs headers. Normally a gain in torque like that and an even bigger corresponding gain in H.P. is
a good indicator it can breathe.

I see; loss is bad. How about the Volant intake, is that 30+ hp claim true? Did you keep your cats with the exhaust setup as well?

riley6 said:
I see; loss is bad. How about the Volant intake, is that 30+ hp claim true? Did you keep your cats with the exhaust setup as well?

No, but a lot of people wish it was true. I am guessing Volant first dynoed the truck with a sealed plastic garbage bag over the factory
air box, removed it, installed their system and came up with a 30+ horsepower gain. :)

The (4) cats were replaced with (2) B&B Hi flows. The factory muffler and 2-1/2" pipes were replaced with their catback setup and full 3" pipes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back