First of the Hardest Days of my life

Ironhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today i went to see my Dad as i always do at hospital ,,We are thinking he is starting to loose his mind ,he is seeing things that are not there and has forgotten many names so far but mine ,,He asked me today if i got away ok ,,i told him i did ,he then told me that we will have to find a hideout in the hills and make sure i put the horses in the backyard before it gets dark out ,,,,

I try to keep a steady reaction when he gets this way but its starting to wear me down ,it gets harder everyday now ,

Sorry to hear that man. My Grandmother had Alzheimer's too. It's a rough thing to go through. Wish you the best.

i had this same experience with my grandfather...

it's tough... and no matter what, we're here for you... you have my number.

bottom line, is the fact that you're there for him, the man up stairs will remember...

James,
I know what you are going through. it's the worst part of life. All you can do is be there for your Dad and remember how he was when he was himself.

it is a tough time, i can speak from experience to say when you look back you will be glad you were there for him.
i am sure deep down he is very glad you are there.
eventually we will all end up there, if God grants us enough time on this earth.

To say this ordeal is tough is an understatement. Be there for him as much as possible, I realize the frustration u are dealing with. Just try to remember the goodtimes, this is not who your DAD is.

My Granmother is 96 and now she doesnt know who My Dad is, its tough and cruel. Hang in there Prayers go out to you.

thewelshm

Thoughts and prayers go out to you. Made several trips to NE to deal with same problem. Not easy spoon feeding your Dad when he doesn't know who you are, and then asking the nurse to change his diaper. The last weekend I spent with him, he woke up and knew who I was and we had a 30 minute talk that ment a lot to me.

You're a great man James and stick to your guns. Your Father knows you are there and that matters most. He may not acknowledge things accordingly, but know his mind still knows what's going on, just won't let him portray that.

My thoughts and prayers are with ya Bud.

Dads hard fight is over ,,my dad passed away this morning ,ita a sad day in the house ,,I'm stuck making arrangements and have to keep up till this is done ,then i will lose it afterwards ,he fought the good fight and could not go on anymore ,
My father did two tours in Vietnam ,was almost killed on the Cambodian border ,was in a plane while in air force back then that was shot down and the survivors had to hide in the jungle of Vietnam for two weeks before they found them ,,came back and joined the navel reserves and was in the seebee bunch for another 18 years ,,,after all that it was the cigarettes that took him down ,,with the cancer treatment they just could not stop them from building up fluid time and time again ,,even though it was tough for me to do ,i did as he asked me to and not let them hook him up to any machines to live ,,he said he wanted to go out with his dignity and that's what i did even though others got really pissed at me for it ,,And i will miss him :(

Sorry to hear James.
If you need anything, there are a lot of people here for you, myself included.

Sorry to hear James,

But you made the right decision, I am in the same boat with my dad. In his Personal Directive it is also stated that he does not want life-support should it be required. There is also a DNR (Do Not Resusitate) order on file at the Nursing home. He does not even want CPR at this point. If he collapses, he wants to go.
That was very hard for me to agree to at first, but those are his wishes.

May your father now RIP

Our Deepest sympathy on your loss James, No words can convey your pain or our feeling of helplessness at this time. I thank your father for his service to our country…….and wish you well.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, big guy. Like I said earlier, you're a good man. And you did the right thing, in respecting your dads wishes. I'm sure that you've already heard it, but you know he's in a better place.

So sorry James. You know Betty and I are praying for you and your family.

Rest in Peace Dad.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back