First start cold engine, turbine sound

Cuda Man Dave

Reaction score
I have a 2004 srt10 black. It has 5000 miles on it and I am the orginal owner. There is a new sound when I start the engine only when its cold. It sounds like a turbine for about 10 seconds, and then its gone. My dealer has had my truck for 2 weeks and they can't fine the problem. Need help. Thanks, Dave

Cuda Man Dave said:
I have a 2004 srt10 black. It has 5000 miles on it and I am the orginal owner. There is a new sound when I start the engine only when its cold. It sounds like a turbine for about 10 seconds, and then its gone. My dealer has had my truck for 2 weeks and they can't fine the problem. Need help. Thanks, Dave

under the hood or inside the cab? i know theres a fan inside the Head unit that
cut's on every once and a while and it sounds like a small turbine :)

let us know,

Sharpi

wow im glad i see this post. Its good to know im not crazy. Mine does the same thing about 20k miles on mine. And when i start it up cold it does the same windup sound for about 10 sec then its gone. Kinda cool sounding, like a jet spooling up or something.

ive heard a lot of people say its the oil cooler. not too sure tho. mine did and it was the oil cooler tho :dontknow:

Mine does the same thing, and has since new... i believe it's harmonics from the oil pump... my truck sit's for weeks at a time, and upon startup I hear the "whine" then after a few seconds it "winds out".:dontknow:

Did you just recently change the oil and use a different brand of oil filter? Some aftermarket filters have been known to cause this.

Silver beat me to it. Change your filter again and use the mopar viper filter. see if this stops the noise.

Mine started doing it after the last oil change. I think it's the filter also. I put a Mobil 1 filter this time. I will be changing this weekend, And Will let you know.

J.R.

my stupid head unit makes a clickaclickaclicka sound

First start cold engine

Thanks for all the info. I have changed my oil and used a different filter. I will get a filter from mopar and try this. Thanks, Dave

A cell phone in your truck will make your audio system make a sicksicksick sound. Dealer told me about that one.

Cuda Man Dave said:
As i said earlier, About the whine at start up i thought it was the oil filter. Changed it out to the Mopar filter today, And no more whine. I do not know if the whine was from restriction or what . I thought Mobil 1 had a pretty good filter, But thats what i changed out. :dontknow: :dontknow: Anywho it's gone and i'm happy.

J.R.

walenator said:
A cell phone in your truck will make your audio system make a sicksicksick sound. Dealer told me about that one.

It depends on the phone. My personal cell does that. My work cell does not.

yep, its the oil filter...has happened on both my trucks. something to do with the engineering of a check flapper or anti siphon something or other on the filter:dontknow:

This seems to be a Dodge problem. My '98 Ram used to do that and it had a 318 in it... The SAME noise when starting cold. My #1900 always has a Mobile 1 oil filter so I doubt it has to do with that. And since I've seen this on my other truck (before I sold it) can we assume a 318 block and a Viper motor both use the same oil pump?:dontknow: Although, an oil pump does sound likely to be the issue. But I'll try the Mopar filter idea anyway.

Last edited:
So what is the best filter to use?
well..haven't been keeping track, i didn't know what the sound was either...i can tell you now i have a k&n on the iron v-10 and a mopar on the srt-10 and have not heard the sound (both trucks had been sitting for 5 weeks) maybe the temp. has something to do with it also:dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back