Fly Wheel/ Flex Plate - Got a problem

horace.reed

Reaction score
I've had a 2005 Dodge SRT10 quadcab with a blown motor so I purchased a new motor.

I had been told that a 2004 SRT10 manual transmission motor would fit in the truck. It does fit but because there is no reluctor ring, it won't run. I've already spend 1500 bucks dropping this motor in that doesn't work.

Is there a way to get someone to custom build a flex plate? Has anyone done this before? What are my options short of pulling the motor and starting over?

Feel like a real bonehead here, but was just going on the advice of "professionals". Should have known better though. Would really appreciate your help. This project is driving me crazy. Also, I'm considering selling the whole deal.

Thanks

So you did a full motor/trains swap from a 04 RC? There are 2 guys I know if that did full 6speed conversions to their QC. I know they will chime in. Good luck. Don't give up/sell!

I've had a 2005 Dodge SRT10 quadcab with a blown motor so I purchased a new motor.

I had been told that a 2004 SRT10 manual transmission motor would fit in the truck. It does fit but because there is no reluctor ring, it won't run. I've already spend 1500 bucks dropping this motor in that doesn't work.

Is there a way to get someone to custom build a flex plate? Has anyone done this before? What are my options short of pulling the motor and starting over?

Feel like a real bonehead here, but was just going on the advice of "professionals". Should have known better though. Would really appreciate your help. This project is driving me crazy. Also, I'm considering selling the whole deal.

Thanks

What's stopping you from selling the 48RE, getting yourself a T56, and going manual?

Truth is, you already have a blessing of a motor on your hands, so might as well make use of it. The best thing you can do to a quad cab is make the conversion. Anyone will tell you that. And lucky enough you are in the right forum where plenty of guys can give you advice (if you are a DIY kind of person) on to how to do the conversion. Or do it for you if you are willing to compensate them for it.

Having an 05 just means getting the parts to do it will be easy and cheap. (Compared to an 06) take it from someone that has driven a 6 speed QC and is in the process of doing it. You will not regret it and thank me for it later.

the problem is that the 04 engine has no knock sensor and the location of the crank position sensor. The 05 computer would be looking for the knock sensor.I am not sure if the 05 wiring harness can be adapted to the 04 engine. otherwise they are the same. or how you would go about using the 04 computer with the 05 harness. the 05 crank sensor is on the side of the block and measures crankshaft. the 04 measures at the flywheel. give it some time and someone will have your answers..

Thanks

They are high dollar but we can do an SFI approved flexplate that will work for your application. Otherwise there aren't options other than making her a 6 speed manual and I was the first to do it and sell the conversion parts needed to accomplish this, but buying a custom flexplate will be less expensive.
You can email me at [email protected] with any questions

I'm still dealing with this. I've got a guy that says he can build a custom flexplate so we can do a conversion for the 2004 motor with a standard transmission to a 2005 motor with an auto transmission, but we need the specs so we know where to put the reluctor ring or crank trigger.

Anyone got an old 2004 flywheel for a standard motor they'd like to sell? Is there a better way to get this information?

Last edited:
If you really want to stay with the automatic, why not sell the Motor and get yourself a 2005 Automatic.

Dont Forget, not only the flexplate is a Problem, also the bellhousing will not perfectly match with the Transmission. You will leave 1 bolt out for adapting it.

If i were you, just make it a 6 Speed. Some more bucks to spend but way more fun to drive !

You also have the knock sensors to contend with. The 2005 needs them, the 2004 doesn't have them. Your best bet is to sell the 2004 engine and buy the correct 2005 / 2006 engine. If you get a 2006 engine you will need to swap oil pan and oil pump pickup from your 05. There is a member here that has done this swap before however and I just sent him a text, hopefully he chimes in and gets you pointed in the right direction.

I'm still dealing with this. I've got a guy that says he can build a custom flexplate so we can do a conversion for the 2004 motor with a standard transmission to a 2005 motor with an auto transmission, but we need the specs so we know where to put the reluctor ring or crank trigger.

Anyone got an old 2004 flywheel for a standard motor they'd like to sell? Is there a better way to get this information?

Yo man give me a call Charlie 770 855 9624 I have some info for you and possibly a flywheel for you

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back