[Flying] Pre-solo test

wesalbert

2015 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sitting here taking my pre-solo written test. Boy do they ask the same questions 4 times over in different ways trying to get ya.....
Reminds me of highschool.

If a glider is converging with an airplane, who has the right of way?

When are you permitted to deviate from an ATC instruction?

Depends on the clearances given by Ground.

Either way any aircraft should taxi at a safe speed to avoid any other vehicles/aircraft/obstacles. Usually 25 knots is a good number.

The way it was explained to me....

The plane had the right way for 2 reasons.
1. The plane was to the helicopers right.
2. A helicopter is pretty much at the bottom of the list of priortiy.

That being said, if controllers told the plane to hold and he didn't, obviously he was then in the wrong.

Bone said:
Depends on the clearances given by Ground.

Either way any aircraft should taxi at a safe speed to avoid any other vehicles/aircraft/obstacles. Usually 25 knots is a good number.

Taxi speed.... no real number given. Heard a little faster than walking pace, but that can be dangerous as well.

The definition from my book...
"The primary requirments for safe taxiing are positive control, the ability to recoginze potential hazzards in time to avoid them, and the ability to stop or turn where and when desired, without undue reliance on the brakes. Normally the speed should be at a rate where movement of the plane is dependant on throttle. That is, slow enough so when the throttle is closed, the airplane can be stopped promptly."

This is fine at a small airport, but not when there is a 747 behind you. :D

wesalbert said:
Taxi speed.... no real number given. Heard a little faster than walking pace, but that can be dangerous as well.

"The primary requirments for safe taxiing are positive control, the ability to recoginze potential hazzards in time to avoid them, and the ability to stop or turn where and when desired, without undue reliance on the brakes. Normally the speed should be at a rate where movement of the plane is dependant on throttle. That is, slow enough so when the throttle is closed, the airplane can be stopped promptly."

when i did my first flight the instructor was going to fast for me, i was all over the place. the 18mph cross wind did not help any......

wesalbert said:

Same speeds apply to a 747 or any heavy aircraft.

scoobert said:
why does a helicopter need to taxi? don't they just go up?

Nope, still must adhere to some rules. Where I fly out of, you see them all the time go down the taxi ways, then to the end of the runway. Then go down the runway a bit. I have also seen them taxi to an unused runway and take off from one of them.
One weekend they were all over the place. There was 3 of them all staying in the pattern. They were all idiots. Then towards the end of my session, the banner place decided that he was going to come out and play. Never seen the pattern so crazy.

wesalbert said:
Scary stuff, but they walked away it looks.
They didn't have much altitude to auto-rotate. Probably why they came down so hard.

yeah, think he said you have to be over a few thousand feet.
of course that don't matter if the blades pop off....

Blades just don't "pop off". At least not on a properly maintained craft.

My parents made me pay for my ground school test and any subsequent ones if I were to fail. Making $7.50 an hour bagging groceries, I studied pretty hard. I used the study book (can't recall the name) where it gives you every possible question it could ask, and just made myself tests.

Passed first try... good luck!

NickGuyver said:
My parents made me pay for my ground school test and any subsequent ones if I were to fail. Making $7.50 an hour bagging groceries, I studied pretty hard. I used the study book (can't recall the name) where it gives you every possible question it could ask, and just made myself tests.

Passed first try... good luck!

i'm paying myself... taking it out off my mod $$$. :D

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back