For OC Bob

includemeout said:
If that sporty was inspired by the XR750 (or the XR1000) t would have more than a paint scheme :( Hell the exaust is even on the wrong side:( ;) :marchmellow:
They also had an intake on the rear of each head I believe. But still, you gotta love a 90hp Sporty right out of the factory.

OCBob said:
They also had an intake on the rear of each head I believe. But still, you gotta love a 90hp Sporty right out of the factory.

Yes they did (twin Delardo's) some went with Makuni's :D 90 hp is ok , about that of a stock XR 750 way back when, in race form the easily exceeded 125 rwhp on the iron head models, the alloy models lots more:rock:

The 90 hp is most likely a gain due to Cu. In. increase and the FI keeping it leaned out, but, yes they are fun:D :D

Truett and Osborn built a everyday rider from an 883 in the late 70's ( 98 in)
the owner rode to Bonneville and set 2 world records 198mph (stock frame Mod. Production class) then installed a mini fairing , jetted for alcohol and set the second record at 202mph. Then rode it home ( brought tires tied to the packer bar)

Attachments

• Harley-Davidson_XR_750_1972_Alu_motueur_stpz.jpg
    Harley-Davidson_XR_750_1972_Alu_motueur_stpz.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 17
  • harley.jpg
    harley.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 16
I wanted to buy an XR1000 way back when they were new, but they were way more money than I could come up with.

Bill.

Begood said:
I wanted to buy an XR1000 way back when they were new, but they were way more money than I could come up with.

Bill.
I put a down on one and cancelled, just like the Big bikes better( sportsters are a bit crampted when you are 6'4" and trying to haul wifey around:D

They are a blast though, you can use them for Dual Sports riding Ya Hooo;)

They also won lots of races in the Battle of the Twins against Honda and others.

No company has been able to make a better flat track bike than the XR750 Period.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back