Fresh Meat...

Veneno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fresh Meat...
Hey fellas, I wanted to introduce myself to the group. I'm in need of a daily driven truck with style and power, so I started searching. There's the obvious four choices, SVT Lightning/SRT10/SS/Saleen S331. I've just about ruled out the lightning mainly bcs it'll only seat 3, and although it'll be just me 80% of the time, I'd like to have some practicality and be able to go places with my wife and two kids. I don't really care for the Harley Davidson truck, the SS is ok but it's just ehh. The Saleen S331is a good truck but too expensive and parts are just about obsolete.

That brings me to the SRT10, I thought about them but didn't think I could afford one at the limit I'd set myself for a daily (<22k). Well as luck would have it, saw one locally put up for sale, 05 silver qc. Wants less than $20k. I checked it out and the engine bay, interior, exterior seem to be in good shape, except for the steering. He said he needed to replace the hub on one side and possibly the ball joint. We were going to take it for a quick spin but there was something noticeably wrong, the truck wouldn't roll back under is own power w/o having to gas it.
We stopped and parked it, good thing. Noticed the front right wheel was heavily cambered so we knew that was it. He's going to replace the ball joints and hubs on both sides, is this normal wear our should I keep looking? Thanks guys!
Btw, I have no "brand loyalty" I like anything that looks good and is high performance.
And yes, I also posted this on srt10 forums.

Last edited:
I would keep looking. It sounds like this guy doesn't do anything to his 10 until it breaks. He knew he had problems, but rather than fixing them, he tried to sale the truck & the problems to you. Repairs on these can get expensive. Rather than paying for his repairs, you will need the money to buy mods. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for your input, I see him posting quite a bit on a local fb page and seems really proud of his truck. It seems like he's in a financial pinch and can't afford the note anymore, not judging but that's what it seems like. He had the rear cats removed so it's fairly loud, not obnoxious but loud. There's a few dings on the truck but nothing terrible. I'm not afraid to walk away from this deal if I don't like it after the test drive. I guess we'll find out next week. Thanks again, any input is airworthiness.
07 Charger SRT8 (SOLD)
98 240SX (SOLD)
06 Saleen S281 Turbo (Toy)
08 Cadillac Escalade Platinum (wife daily)

the front hubs are turnin into a maintaince item on our trucks.

so knowledge is power thingy.

it just boils down to you. if ya fell comfortable with it, go for it.

if ya can do some or all the wrenchin on her, big plus.

vast amount of knowledge & help here, another plus.

2 of the first things will be the engine oil cooler & P/S lines replace.

probably would not hurt to change all fluids & ya would be good to go

I would, and have, walked away from vehicles I really wanted, because of problems on the test drive.

Either way, good luck with your decision, and welcome to the VTCOA.

Welcome to the VTCoA!

Thanks guys! I'll post pics if I get it. One thing, the owner mentioned that he adds about a quart of oil every 1500 Miles and it's normal. I know the 6.1 srt engines needed an oil catch can, does the 8.3 need one too?

Thanks guys! I'll post pics if I get it. One thing, the owner mentioned that he adds about a quart of oil every 1500 Miles and it's normal. I know the 6.1 srt engines needed an oil catch can, does the 8.3 need one too?

A quart every 3000 - 5000 miles is normal under average driving conditions. Losing a quart every 1500 is too much I.M.O. if there are no evident oil leaks. BTW unless you have 2 high beams the title sounds bad. Welcome to the zoo!

A quart every 3000 - 5000 miles is normal under average driving conditions. Losing a quart every 1500 is too much I.M.O. if there are no evident oil leaks. BTW unless you have 2 high beams the title sounds bad. Welcome to the zoo!

Chrysler factory spec is 1 quart every 1,000 miles for an engine under 50k miles, 1 quart every 750 miles for engines over 50k miles. Theoretically a "normal" engine could burn itself out of oil between oil changes with no external leaks.

I was loosing a lot of oil before. I found the main cause was a bad seal on the back bottom sick of the driver side valve cover. Super easy and cheep fix. My oil cooler lines are still leaking, but I am not loosing nearly as much oil as I used to. If I where you, I would go back and take another look. Bring some ramos and put it up on yhe ramos and take a good look underneath. Really go over the truck. And take it for another good drive when he gets the parts fixed then make a decisio .

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm not following you on the title comment, what do you mean?
How much oil are you holding with the catch can?

I'm not following you on the title comment, what do you mean?
How much oil are you holding with the catch can?

He wasn't talking about a catch can, he was talking about how much oil his engine uses between oil changes.

Also, please complete your profile.

Does it have to, I don't know but I do use a catch can.

I was referring to this comment, since he uses one, I was wondering how much is collected in it. I'll see if I can get to it later, I have a sick daughter, priorities.

Chrysler factory spec is 1 quart every 1,000 miles for an engine under 50k miles, 1 quart every 750 miles for engines over 50k miles. Theoretically a "normal" engine could burn itself out of oil between oil changes with no external leaks.

If mine burned that much oil I'd be worried. Both my trucks never burned that much oil and I raced them a lot. Could be an interesting poll on how much oil our trucks burn every 3000 miles.;)

If mine burned that much oil I'd be worried. Both my trucks never burned that much oil and I raced them a lot. Could be an interesting poll on how much oil our trucks burn every 3000 miles.;)

So do these trucks burn the oil or does it get sucked in through the air intake from the valve covers?

So do these trucks burn the oil or does it get sucked in through the air intake from the valve covers?

if ya ain't got a catch can, its bein drawn into the engine & cakin up on the intake valve stems

if i'm a qt. down, its been 3,000 miles:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back