front wheel smoking

runningonvenom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went on a trip over the weekend on the way home I smelled something burning then I hit traffic and noticed my front drivers wheel smoking so I pulled over and it smoked for like five minutes so I pumped the brakes and it sounded like somting released so I decided to keep on going and the truck kept pulling to the left real hard so I pulled over again I was pulling a trailer took that off and put it on my dads truck and decided to drive it to the nearest les scwabe tire center witch ended up being 20 miles away the truck drove fine no smoke no pull to the left but there was no brakes I had to pump them for them to work I left the truck there witch is like 2 hours from my house anyone know what's wrong with it :dontknow: and if any one has some lube to send me cause I know they are going to rape me :mad:

Well, keep us posted on what happened. Ive read on here about the passenger side caliper getting stuck.
Share the pain man.

If it got stuck for too long you better check the color of your disc.
If it turned blue, you better change it and overhaul your caliper with
An overhaul kit.

Not too tough to do.

Happened to a lot of us before.

All the best

Arne

Sounds like your trailer brakes were not set correctly and the truck was doing all the work.

Just finished this same ordeal.

If you can swing a little extra money, go the route I did!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375714670.200000.jpg

Justin only charges 400$

happens to my passenger side caliper every few months,i pull over let it cool and all is good :dontknow: should probably at least bleed that side:confused:

happens to my passenger side caliper every few months,i pull over let it cool and all is good :dontknow: should probably at least bleed that side:confused:

Do yourself a favor-flush the brake fluid. Get rid of the dirty, burnt junk that's in there and put some non-synthetic DOT4 at least. It'll be a couple of hours and like $20 to save hundreds of dollars and days of downtime...

Or don't.. Whatever. It's your call.

Froze up, just rebuild it Centric and JTS has a kit, it's like $60 or so.

That's what it was now they are saying the passenger side is froze up also but when the cool down the release right but will it happen again because it's still on the other side of the mountains and I would hate for it to happen on the way back plus I still had to pump the brakes why

Or a wheel bearing is going out. Either way check it before you possibly have no brakes.

Make sure you clean and polish the piston bores which is the cause of the problem corrosion forms on the area before the seal I just recently rebuilt my passengers side for the second time(lasted almost 2 years) and it was real bad this time .A rebuilt one is in order the next time this happens.

I've got 140K miles and never had a problem but like the manual clutch fluid I change the brake fluid pretty often.

I'm at 104,000 with no problem ever with calipers. Wheel bearings yes.
In my experience, when one wears pads too low and piston extends into corroded area, in turn it locks piston seal and it won't return, therefore locking pad to rotor. Betting its mostly the problem with our trucks. Lack of maintenance in one of the most important areas of going fast.......slowing back down :chain:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back