fuel pump died

Randall488

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the title implies, the 8.0's fuel pump shat out on me.

I'm gonna replace it myself but I figured I oughta ask what y'all thought, remove the bed and fight the camper shell too or just drop the tank?

Depends on your exhaust route. if the pipes arent in the way, pull the tank. If they are, lift the bed.

The exhaust is on the passenger side. It doesn't come close to the fuel tank.

Onl problem with moving the bed is I'm doin this solo, I'm a big dude but I don't thinl I could hanle movin it myself.

I would say drop the tank too. I just replaced a fuel pump for the second time solo. Make sure to drain the tank first ;)

I would drop the tank, A friend and I did this before when I was 17 with my first v6 ram, i had a full tank of gas as well, I bought a cheap fuel pump from Autozone $15, hooked it up to my battery and drained the tank, got a sturdy piece of wood, put a floor jack, put the wood on the jack, jacked it up under the tank, loosened the bolts, disconnected the fuel lines, and then lowered the tank! pulled the old one out, put the new one in! BAM!!!!

15 buck fuel pump? He replacement on mine is 280.00 .. I only had about a quarter tank in mine anyway.. don't think it will be too much to hastle with

I just got a cheap pump for the draining of the fuel, I thought I had got some bad fuel, the dodge pump was around $250

Is it just me or does that seem rediculous for a injection molded plastic part with some sensors and piping??? Its highway roberry to me

I had to dispose of the bad gasoline inside the tank,In my case I had no problems with vapor lock

That's why I got confused, I've never heard of vapor lock on fuel injection but I didn't thinl about the weight of the tank.

Better to ask than not know

Fuel weighs a lot and can make it a PITA to handle the tank. Safer thing to do is just drain the fuel.

Is it just me or does that seem rediculous for a injection molded plastic part with some sensors and piping??? Its highway roberry to me

The fuel pump is attached to this "molded plastic part" and is the expensive part. If you are looking for alternative you might contact Justin at JMB. He makes a dual pump setup that replaces the entire setup. If this is too pricey he takes in the old setups as cores and will probably have a used pump from these that he might sell you. I just sent mine back to him and the pump only had 20k miles on it.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back