Fuse 2 keeps blowing

Ryanstasny

Reaction score
Last night I was driving home tried to go in to 4th and wouldn't let me...then it lost all power...fuse 2 blew and I got it towed home so today I took battery cable off for 15 min and put new 30 amp in fuse 2 and as soon as I turn key fuse blows..any ideas what's going on?

if anyone has any ideas of what it could be please let me know i checked all the wires and nothing is melted so i really dont know what it is....just everytime i put a new fuse in fuse 2 (engine control relay,asd) i just turn key and it blows fuse....thanks anything will help

Is there any "extra" wiring work been done? The factory harness is pretty good. it won't fry randomly! so either some after market mods are compromising the factory wiring or some extra wiring is shorting. Check all mods made for "stretched" wires and/or any wiring mods performed. that is where i would start. Check under the clutch pedal for wires that could have been caught while clutching

all the wiring where clutch pedal looks fine and the only mod i have done is exhaust but those wires are fine to....im thinking its gotta be shorting at the fuse box cause everything on truck works but it wont come on

Fuse 2 (30A) Fused Circuit - Internal
Looks to go to the Auto Shutdown relay then to the PCM.

Last edited:
Here is a diagram of the wiring that runs through fuse 2. Might check that wiring and possible even try the relays that it runs through.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 81584cb8.gif
    81584cb8.gif
    23.9 KB · Views: 609
so i hooked it up to a scanner and it gave me a P1389 code (P1389-NO ASD RELAY OUTPUT VOLTAGE AT PCM - SRT10) but when i put fuse in to try to blows it

P1389-NO ASD RELAY OUTPUT VOLTAGE AT PCM
When Monitored: With ignition key on, battery voltage above 10.4 volts, and engine RPM
greater than 400.
Set Condition: No voltage sensed at the PCM when the ASD Relay is energized.

TEST ACTION APPLICABILITY
1 Ignition on, engine not running.
With the DRBIIIt, read DTCs and record the related Freeze Frame data.
Is the Good Trip Counter displayed and equal to zero?
All
Yes ! Go To 2
No ! Refer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION Symptom (Diagnostic
Procedure).
Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 2.
2 Attempt to start the engine.
Did the engine start?
All
Yes ! Go To 3
No ! Go To 4
3 Turn the ignition off.
Remove the ASD Relay from the PDC.
Disconnect the PCM harness connectors.
Measure the resistance of the (K342) ASD Relay Output circuit from the ASD Relay
cavity in the PDC to the PCM harness connector.
Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?
All
Yes ! Go To 7
No ! Repair the open in the (K342) ASD Relay Output circuit.
DRIVEABILITY - GAS
4 Install a substitute relay for the ASD Relay.
Attempt to start the vehicle.
Did the engine start?
All
Yes ! Replace the ASD Relay.
No ! Go To 5
5 Turn the ignition off.
Remove the ASD Relay from the PDC.
Using a 12-volt test light, probe the (A14) Fused B+ circuits at the ASD Relay
connector in the PDC.
Does the test light illuminate brightly?
All
Yes ! Go To 6
No ! Repair the open or short to ground in the (A14) Fused B+ circuits.
Inspect the related fuse and repair as necessary.
6 Disconnect the PCM harness connectors.
Measure the resistance of the (K342) ASD Relay Output circuit from the ASD Relay
cavity in the PDC to the PCM harness connector.
Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?
All
Yes ! Go To 7
No ! Repair the open in the (K342) ASD Relay Output circuit.
7 NOTE: Before continuing, check the PCM harness connector terminals for
corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Repair as necessary.
Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wire harness and connectors. Pay
particular attention to all Power and Ground circuits.
If there are no possible causes remaining, view repair.
All
Repair
Replace and program the Powertrain Control Module per Service
Information.

This is the testing procedure from Dodge.

Looks like the simplest thing to try would be the relay.

im still having problems starting the truck up.....the fuse is still blowing and....to make things worse yesterday my 09 challenger starter fried so i had to change that....got it fixed....but i have tried everything yall have told me and nothing for the truck any other ideas??? thanks everyone for the help

Here is a diagram of the wiring that runs through fuse 2. Might check that wiring and possible even try the relays that it runs through.

Hope this helps.

Everything here should do the trick! These are the only things that possibly could affect that fuse. :dontknow:

Have you tryed a new ASD relay? If not remove the relay and install a fused jumper wire between terminals 30 and 87 , if it does'nt blow fuse when you try to start relay is bad, if fuse blows use the wiring diagram posted earlier to test componants by unpluging them one at a time and seeing if fuse blows. You will need to see where S128 on the diagram goes. I think it goes to the fuel injectors, If so you can test them for a shorted injector or chaffed wire harness. I could'nt find 04 wiring so if someone could post the s128 circuit we could see what else is feed by fuse 2. I know it sounds wierd but on the 4.7 if the timing chain gets loose and out of "sync" it will blow fuse 2, don't ask me why.

Somebody on here had a similar problem a few months ago. Do a search maybe. I would find it for ya but I'm on mobile and it would be a NIGHTMARE. I will add this. My 04 did the same thing on Thanksgiving day of 08. Dealer said the injectors were shorted out....idk, wasn't a biggie cause I was still under warranty. Good luck. This is the kind stuff that will make u wanna forget the parking break off at the top of a hill near the train tracks.

Ok so I have let the truck sit and today when I got home I tried to start to turned right over check engine light was still on I drove around the block everything was fine and I let it stay on in driveway for bout 15 min and then I turned on my hid headlights and it blew fuse and won't start again so I took out hid lights put my reg headlights back in and I'm letting it sit over night before I try anything plus I gotta by more 30 amp fuses cause I'm out

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back