Gas prices!!!!!

Gas prices seem to be a common concern these days. But how come there is only a 20 cent difference between regular and premium? Even when gas was just uder a buck several years ago, there was only 10 cents between grades. So to me, 3.00 for regular is not much different than 3.20 for premium. But, then again I have room in my budget to blow $400 a month on gas per month. So for 30 gallons @ 3.00= 90 bucks vs. 30 gallons @3.20= 96 bucks. Difference in price is about as much as a Big Mac meal. I'll stick with premium.

Try driving all the way from the east coast to the west coast and back! So far I've driven over 4,000 miles in the last 3 weeks. San Francisco has the worst fuel prices I have seen so far and its 91 octane! At least I'm in something that gets a little over 20mpg on the interstate instead of my truck... but still requires premium.

This is kind of like people asking if $4.00 per gallon will change my driving habits. Nope it won't. If I'm so close to the edge that an extra $400 per year in fuel expenses pushes me over, then I need not own this truck or several other things. Not worth the risk IMO, I can feel the difference between 91 and 93, can't imagine 87.

Joe

EMT/SRT said:
Does anyone run anything other than 93 octane fuel? Like 89 or 87 with the gas prices so high. Afraid to try it. Any negatives effects?
I would not.

Silverback said:
Around here there is a .20 cent difference between Regular and Premium. So let's figure you take 25 gallons to fill up.

Well damn, look at that, you saved $5.00 on that fillup and take the risk of damaging a $12,000.00 motor. That means it would take 2400 fill ups at $5.00 savings per tank to pay for that motor. Not looking good so far is it. Let's say you average 12 miles to the gallon okay. That would come out to 300 miles to a tank on average. Holy shit, you only have to drive 720,000 miles before you pay for that possible engine.

I would go for it if I was you.;) :D

I know, it sounds like I'm being a wise ass, well maybe just a little, oh hell, maybe a lot, but the risk is not worth it in my opinion.

Sorry for having a little fun at your expense, but I hope others will also see what they are risking.
That's why they pay you the big bucks heh dad :rock:

Wifey said:
That's why they pay you the big bucks heh dad :rock:

Hope I got the numbers right on that. I did it in my head as I was working some other stuff. But knowing this crowd, if I was wrong they would have let me know by now.:eek: :D

Scrambler1 said:
Try driving all the way from the east coast to the west coast and back! So far I've driven over 4,000 miles in the last 3 weeks. San Francisco has the worst fuel prices I have seen so far and its 91 octane! At least I'm in something that gets a little over 20mpg on the interstate instead of my truck... but still requires premium.

This is kind of like people asking if $4.00 per gallon will change my driving habits. Nope it won't. If I'm so close to the edge that an extra $400 per year in fuel expenses pushes me over, then I need not own this truck or several other things. Not worth the risk IMO, I can feel the difference between 91 and 93, can't imagine 87.

Joe
You mean .. you drove to the east coast and you didn't give us a HOLLA?

:D Steve

nycstev said:
You mean .. you drove to the east coast and you didn't give us a HOLLA?

:D Steve

Not yet, on the west coast now... soon to drive to Reno, just beginning our trip back east. We'll have gone around 8000 miles by the time we get back to Ga.

Joe

I would still pay alot more than the current 3.10+ per gallon. 4 out of my 5 vehicles require premium. We experimented with my wifes BMW which recommends 91+. We ran med grade for 2 tanks with her driving which is very conservative and we lost over 3 mpg and some performance. In the end it still is a wash due to the MPG loss we experienced. Have to pay if you want to play.

If it is breaking your budget, get a beater and let this one sit or get something that fits into your budget.

I ran 89 on my way back from florida to toronto and while in 6th gear for 25 hrs i noticed pinging going up hills or when the truck wanted to work a bit.... so if your gonna baby it and not really drive to hard no steep hills in 6th gear it seams to be just fine...

I love paying alot for gas!!! so much fun...Filled my truck up 2x last week and my wifes Denali 3x = $380, for one week(not a regular driving schedule). So my kids will not be going to college...but hey I got an SRT-10...

Silverback said:
BITE ME!!!!!

;) :p :D

...and I didn't even have to see what dickhead said....

......................"ignore" rules.....

My son Paul used to always hear his granpa say, "Fill it up....Ethyl"......

So one day (Paul was about 3), they pulled into the gas station and thru the open back window, Paul sez, "Fill it up, asshole"... The attendants jaw fell open in astonishment..... Lynette told him, "He can't pronounce Ethyl".....

D

Due to lack of 91 octane availability in outskirts of Az and in Mexico I've often had to run 87 or worse in mine. Never worried about it as the 05's have knock sensors and will retard timing to compensate. Never been an issue with knocks pings or anything else. If I had an 04 that would be a different story.....I'd be carrying extra fuel in the bed if that were the case.

I ALWAS USE MID GRADE FUEL(BP). I NEVER HAD ANY PROBS EVEN UNDER FULL THROTTLE..HIGH GRADE WILL GIVE YOU BEST RESULTS UNDER LOAD BUT NO PROBS WITH NORMAL DRIVING.(EVEN DRIVING HARD)...

KHOFF8201 said:
I ALWAS USE MID GRADE FUEL(BP). I NEVER HAD ANY PROBS EVEN UNDER FULL THROTTLE..HIGH GRADE WILL GIVE YOU BEST RESULTS UNDER LOAD BUT NO PROBS WITH NORMAL DRIVING.(EVEN DRIVING HARD)...

What do you drive?:dontknow:

Django said:
If you can't pay for the gas, you may be in over your head.......

Dj

Hit the nail on the head.If you gotta worry about a few bucks one way or the other,this game is not for you.We all knew that going in.It is what it is.Not worth crying about because it does not look like it's coming back down any time soon!!:rock: :rock: :)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back