Gas prices!!!!!

EMT/SRT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone run anything other than 93 octane fuel? Like 89 or 87 with the gas prices so high. Afraid to try it. Any negatives effects?

What's it costing ya there?

I live in SE TN and I paid $3.09 for high test the other day. Stupid pump cut me off @ $75 though, so I didn't get to put every possible drop in the tank. I was on fumes though! :D

Around here Premium is $3.49. If you run 87 or 89 in the truck DO NOT go over half throttle or you can cause engine damage.

Bill.

Thanks

That's a BIG 10-4! Premium is around $3.20 - $3.40. Varies almost daily!
I figured it cause problems. Why else would they print it on the tach. That's why i haven't tried anything else!

I wouldn't go with anything lower than 91, thats what we have here in california. Going to the lower octanes could cause pinging and engine damage.

05 and up have knock sensors. you could try running a lower octane fuel, I wouldn't but the pcm should retard timing if it detects pre-detonation

Around here there is a .20 cent difference between Regular and Premium. So let's figure you take 25 gallons to fill up.

Well damn, look at that, you saved $5.00 on that fillup and take the risk of damaging a $12,000.00 motor. That means it would take 2400 fill ups at $5.00 savings per tank to pay for that motor. Not looking good so far is it. Let's say you average 12 miles to the gallon okay. That would come out to 300 miles to a tank on average. Holy shit, you only have to drive 720,000 miles before you pay for that possible engine.

I would go for it if I was you.;) :D

I know, it sounds like I'm being a wise ass, well maybe just a little, oh hell, maybe a lot, but the risk is not worth it in my opinion.

Sorry for having a little fun at your expense, but I hope others will also see what they are risking.

Annu Kumar said:
I thought The Knock sensors will only work under Load.

Knock sensors trimm the the igntion timing under normal driving conditions.

Silver is right on with his suggestion not to run any fuel lower than 91 octane.

In some of the very high altitude areas such as Colorado the available fuel is a slightly lower octane. This usually does not cause problems as the motor will run very rich under full throttle.

$3.25/gal here in central OH for 92 or 93.

I would NEVER run anything lower than 91 in this truck, sensors or not.
That's just me.

For good deals on gas, use this:
www.gaspricewatch.com

($12,000 engine...pfft...must be getting a used one on ebay or something. LOL)

Silverback said:
Around here there is a .20 cent difference between Regular and Premium. So let's figure you take 25 gallons to fill up.

Well damn, look at that, you saved $5.00 on that fillup and take the risk of damaging a $12,000.00 motor. That means it would take 2400 fill ups at $5.00 savings per tank to pay for that motor. Not looking good so far is it. Let's say you average 12 miles to the gallon okay. That would come out to 300 miles to a tank on average. Holy shit, you only have to drive 720,000 miles before you pay for that possible engine.

I would go for it if I was you.;) :D

I know, it sounds like I'm being a wise ass, well maybe just a little, oh hell, maybe a lot, but the risk is not worth it in my opinion.

Sorry for having a little fun at your expense, but I hope others will also see what they are risking.

Thanks Silver

Now I have a good answer for the wife :D

ive seen some of you guys/gals talk about fuel additives to boost octane, what are your thoughts? if per say you cant get 93 but can get 91. Is it safe and do you think its worth it:dontknow: if so what do you use? im not trying to hijak here just thought i through somthing diff out here cause i would like to know myself

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back