Gas prices

tomtana59911

Reaction score
In 1967 the average american worker made 2.67 $ per hr I did some reserch an the average price of gas was 1.00 a gallon .I dont know what the average american makes right now but I suspect its more than enough to buy 3 gals of gas.I believe the rest of the world is watching and laughing at the spoiled americans!!
when our truks are 40 yrs old gas will probably be 20 bucks a gallon any bets.

tomtana59911 said:
In 1967 the average american worker made 2.67 $ per hr I did some reserch an the average price of gas was 1.00 a gallon .I dont know what the average american makes right now but I suspect its more than enough to buy 3 gals of gas.I believe the rest of the world is watching and laughing at the spoiled americans!!

Highest price for gas in 1967 was 0.39 gallon for ethel(Premium)

0.32 for reg.:D

Around here you wouldn't pay anymore than .30 per gallon for gas in '67. In 1970 you could find ethyl (super) sometimes for less than .25. I bought super for .18 a gallon several times when competing gas stations would have a gas war. And you could get a set of dishes!

wait a second, i'm only thirdy two, but i use to live in north augusta SC. from the time was 11 years old till i was 18. and i remember that augusta GA, and north augusta SC, had gas wars all over that town between the gas stations call smilely and the rest of them, al the BP stations had gas for $0.70!!
but smiley had gas for $0.58 and that was 1990!!!
i can't remember buying gas in the 70's ( wasn't driving then,hell wasn't born then!! )

tomtana59911 said:

If gas was averaging .35$ a gallon (according to the information in 1960's) and our wages were 2.67/hr; our gas has increased approx x13 the price!

lets see here... .35 x 13 = 4.55/gallon (Year 2008)
and now for the good part ... 2.67 x 13 = 34.71/hr (or $72,196/yr)

I dont think the average american makes 72k a year. :dontknow:

1badnightrunner said:
wait a second, i'm only thirdy two, but i use to live in north augusta SC. from the time was 11 years old till i was 18. and i remember that augusta GA, and north augusta SC, had gas wars all over that town between the gas stations call smilely and the rest of them, al the BP stations had gas for $0.70!!
but smiley had gas for $0.58 and that was 1990!!!
i can't remember buying gas in the 70's ( wasn't driving then,hell wasn't born then!! )

Thanks for making me feel old.:secruity: :damnmate: :thefinger: :listen: :idea: :evil: :egg: ;) :D

I think this thread was started on some bad research. And I definitely don't appreciate the comment about "spoiled Americans." I am by no means spoiled; I've been regularly working since I was 13 at my uncle's restaurant until I was legally old enough to work in and for society.

I remember seeing gas prices hover around $0.50 in the 70’s and slowly ascend to $1.06 by the 90's. In 1990 I was 18 with my first car finding it hard to keep my gas tank full at $1.06/gal. As for the average annual American wage, I will take a guess it's probably $38k before taxes. I could be wrong, but either way it isn't a lot. Before the rest of the world laughs they need to get their facts straight and speak to average Americans instead of looking at CNN.

I was talking to a 24 year old Norwegian yesterday that believes all Americans have money pouring out their asses. I was in a house full of young tipsy Norwegians that were aware of (because one of them spread it) me having two SRT's and they kept saying I must be rich. I had a hell of a hard time trying to convince these fellows that I had to work my ass off during my younger years, pay for my own education (no thanks to my wonderful government) and continue struggling to gain anything I have; THEN I have to struggle to keep it with the events and goings on of today (thanks to my wonderful government).

I don’t deny that the rest of the world is paying way too much for fuel and more than Americans. But I feel that has to do with their governments. That’s a personal beef their countries must address accordingly instead of pointing their shaking fingers at us. Ours is sticking it to us as well and has been for a long time. Energy happens to be the new thing so I don’t see any one country (other than Venezuela, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia) having it easy at the pump.

i'm 27 and can remember as a senior filling up my 68 camaro with 18 gallon tank for less than 20 bucks. i think it was 99 cents for high octane here in late 90's. we still have relatively low gas prices 3.98 on friday for 93 octane.

Famous last words

It was November 1973, the 8th I believe, I had been transfered to Ft.Useless

(Joke) Va.

I had stopped for fuel at the AMOCO at I-85 & Chamblee Tucker Rd.

Back then they were called SERVICE STATIONS and most people just pulled

up to the pump and one or more attendants would run up and fill the tank,

clean your windshield, check the oil, battery, belts, coolant, tires, then

you would pay $5.00 to $8.00 and be on your way.

I was a gear head so I liked to pump my own gas.

As I was putting 105 octane for $0.39 into my 71 Mach1 I owned at the time,

Richard Nixon came on the radio and announced that gas was going up

because of the Arabs.

I told the attendant that was B/S and I would walk before I wold ever pay

more than $0.39 for a gallon of gas.

By the time I got to Va; it was $0.40+ and I was ready to kill!:mad: :( :mad: :( :mad:

Last edited:
supercar1of1 said:

(Joke) Va.

because of the Arabs.

By the time I got to Va; it was $0.40+ and I was ready to kill!:mad: :( :mad: :( :mad:
And the moral to this story is,Never say never.:D :p

supercar1of1 said:

(Joke) Va.

because of the Arabs.

Ft. Useless LOL I get to go back there in July for 4 freakin months:( I'm not bringing the 10 for fear of being car jacked in Newport News

supercar1of1 said:

(Joke) Va.

because of the Arabs.

Whoa... I was almost 2 years old by then. I can believe those gas prices because I know someone who said he was bitching about gas going to $0.25 a gallon about 40 years ago. The days of such low fossil fuel prices will never be seen again unless something comes around rendering gas unneccessary.

And I predicted Americans would never put up with paying a dollar a gallon and would force the government to nationalize the gas companies so they wouldn't keep making the exorbidant profits they were making (remember the shortages of '73-'74 odd and even days?).

It took $101 to fill her up today @ $4.20 per gallon:argh:

After I filled up, I did the math on the previous tank of gas:bawling:... 9.8 MPG:eek: :driver: :thrasher: :thumpdown:

One way to guarantee a win for any candidate...

87octane for $2.00 per gallon again...

We have tons of oil in the US stockpiled, plus all the oil found in ND... Too bad the liberals wont let us drill for it.. First thing our new president should do is allow us to drill and build a ton of refineries.

I remember paying .98cent a gallon in 98.

LoveThisTruck said:
Ft. Useless LOL I get to go back there in July for 4 freakin months:( I'm not bringing the 10 for fear of being car jacked in Newport News

So things havent changed much?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back