Getting published

precisiondyeing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that there is at least a few of you who have had their hard work published in magazines. I feel I have a unique enough truck people would like to see it. Can anyone who has had some experience in getting published let me know the best places to start? What to have? Basically any info would be appreciated. God bless.

Michael T.

write up a brief about your truck some before pics and the after pics (by a real photographer) Carl Batram was published. You can send off to a few different mags since your truck fits into like 3/4 catagories. But pm Carlwalski (BATRAM) he could definetly get you goin.

viperhauler said:
my only experience was being half lit at the right place at the right time....

now applying for sponsorships....that i know a thing or two about;)

What are the things you know about getting sponsorships?

precisiondyeing said:
I'm sure that there is at least a few of you who have had their hard work published in magazines. I feel I have a unique enough truck people would like to see it. Can anyone who has had some experience in getting published let me know the best places to start? What to have? Basically any info would be appreciated. God bless.

Michael T.

What have you done to your truck ?

first you hire a proffesional photographer,

obtain a few sponsors of companies that have helped you out

take pics very very nice flattering pics of key areas, one by one

and it must these days do some thing special, either alot of hp or something jsut off the hook say like chris's truck, then put together a complete deal, have a place and so on set up, send it all in to the editor of the mag, and be sure to talk with them one on one and let them know you are sending it.

then you jsut have to wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, aand waiit annnnnnnnnd wait.

NickGuyver said:
What are the things you know about getting sponsorships?
that it is really hard to do...

you have to first apply...then send pics, then say what it's gonna be in (mag wise) then say what they're gonna do the spread on, then how will they be covered, can you guarantee our name in print, how long until it's published, where will the shots be taken, who else is gonna be there, why should we sponsor you, you have to run our product for, say, a period of 12 months after the shoot to promote us, (so if you get a free set of bfg gforce, and you run over a spike strip evading the law, then you have to buy 4 more until the contract runs out:D) ....

it takes a good while....and they'll call the mag, or whomever to verify;)

It's not easy. If your an enthusiast and not an industry professional building show vehicles they contact you. Normally they get swamped with requests and it's considered unsolicited material and it has liabilities. They have copyright issues and need releases for each picture and info text. Almost all articles are done by professionals that take the pictures and write the text. Usually they are independant freelance or are working directly for the publisher. They are usually at all larger carshow and performance events. If they are interested they will talk to you about doing a photo shoot and article and ask for a release to be signed. It may take a number of months before the use of the material. I've heard of cases where it was over a year to being published.
I have been in a number of magazines so far including Mopar Action and Dodge Truck World. All the shoots were done at major events such as Mopars at the Strip and the Monster Truck Nationals. I have attached a link to one of these articles. This is the article before I replaced the motor, the one that has the yellow powder coated parts that some of you have seen. The original is saved and not for sale.

http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines.com/articles.asp?page=tenarticle&aid=3428

Last edited:
I can't comment on others but my rides were discovered on the net, through my website and word of mouth. I have friends that annoy the shit outta magazine editors for months and months on end all but begging them on hands and knees, then finally they get a 1/4 page spread! :laugh: Hey! What ever works I guess lol. Just depends how serious you're wanting to get in a mag?? :dontknow: I've had a few cars as feature and cover cars in the past and they were found by word by mouth and just in the car scene itself. Mind you, our car scene is a lot smaller down here so it's not as hard to get your name or vehicles out there. Not sure what magazines you are aiming for as some have different criteria. Some will let bone stock trucks in, others have to be fully custom and slammed with 8 tone paint jobs, etc.

How it usually works: In most cases the editor will contact you, ask if you'd like to be in the magazine. Once you confirm then they'll organise a photographer to come around when it suits who will/should also take some notes down about who, why, when, what, how, etc. I usually do a 3-4 page word document about why, when, how etc to help save time and give them a good platform to build from. They'll change it heaps but it helps. If you're not good with cameras and don't have a good camera, then you'll work together to find a nice back drop for some shots, most pro photographers will take around 1-2 hours to get the shots required which are always: profile (side on), front, rear, rear 3/4, front 3/4, engine, interior and then details. Once they have the notes and photos they go away, mix it together and send you a PDF proof.

You confirm all the info is correct that that you're happy and it's off to print and depending when you are slotted in, it could be 3-4 weeks before it's on the stands or 3-4 months. Words of advice - Make sure you get the proof. I demand a proof and go over the article with a fine tooth comb and I make sure I am 100% happy with the images because once it's printed and on shelves, it's printed and on the shelves. ;) Don't worry about being pushy or scaring them away "ruining your chance", they need you as much as you need them and you have to be happy. I know a few guys who didn't ask for a proof and their articles had several mistakes, some minor, some real bad and they regret it now. Below are some of the magazines I've been, not the full articles/speads just enough to show you what they're about. Been in a few others but only readers rides type stuff, half a page or less, still cool though! I'm give or take about getting in. It's cool if I don't, cool if I do, but I won't lie, it is awesome seeing all your hard work in print. :) Just one of the many rewards for doing the work yourself. Good luck and keep us posted and post some pictures of your truck for us to perv at!!

Cheers,
Carl

MagClassicCar1.jpg

MagClassicCar2.jpg

MagClassicCar3.jpg

MagClassicCar4.jpg

MagNZV8MoparKid1.jpg

MagNZV8MoparKid2.jpg

MagNZV8Batram1.jpg

MagNZV8Batram2.jpg

Latest posts

Support Us