Gibson vs. Bassani

Muzzy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to be buying a set of headers soon and need some input in making a decision between the Gibson and Bassani headers. I do not want to spend the money for full length and I already have catless mids. Please let me know what you think. Here are some pros and cons for each based on my research:

Gibson:
Pros

- Cheaper (about $200 cheaper w\ceramic coating)
- Stainless and coated (adds to longevity)
- Cleaner looking than Bassani (no equal length bends snaking around engine compartment)
Cons
- Smaller primary tubes (1.500â€￾ vs. 1.750â€￾)
- Can’t find any dyno info (Is there some gain over stock? How do they compare to Bassani?)

Bassani
Pros

- Larger primary tubes (usually better HP gains)
- Ceramic coated
- Equal length (again, better scavenging = more power)
Cons
- More expensive
- Not stainless (is the ceramic coating enough, will it last?)
- Install looks slightly more challenging.

Did I leave any thing out? What is everyone’s opinion that has them? Are the Bassani worth $200 more? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Muzzy

Its your lucky day ;)

I have installed both headers and dyno'ed each of them.

Install wise, they are about the same, the Bassani's are a little tighter fit around tbe steering shaft but nothing worth worrying about.

With the Bassani's, I did have one outlet pipe that ran closely over a bolt location and was a major PITA to thread.

One other significant difference is that the Bassani's have a true universal 3 bolt collector that will bolt up to any mid.

The Gibson's are a std 3 bolt pattern but the collectors are welded. Therefore if your mids dont line up perfectly, you will have to cut and re-weld the mid pipe.

Performance wise...HP was about the same but got a few more ft lbs out of the Gibsons.

The Bassani's look nicer installed and will produce more HP in compliment with other mods.

mmmmtorque said:
Its your lucky day ;)
I have installed both headers and dyno'ed each of them.
Install wise, they are about the same, the Bassani's are a little tighter fit around tbe steering shaft but nothing worth worrying about.
With the Bassani's, I did have one outlet pipe that ran closely over a bolt location and was a major PITA to thread.
One other significant difference is that the Bassani's have a true universal 3 bolt collector that will bolt up to any mid.
The Gibson's are a std 3 bolt pattern but the collectors are welded. Therefore if your mids dont line up perfectly, you will have to cut and re-weld the mid pipe.
Performance wise...HP was about the same but got a few more ft lbs out of the Gibsons.
The Bassani's look nicer installed and will produce more HP in compliment with other mods.

Thanks for the info :). How has the coating on the Bassani's held up? Do you think they are worth the $150-$200 more? I have the stock mids with the cats removed, so line-up with the Gibson's should not be a problem unless I swap out the mids for better ones. I want the most power for dollars spent, but I also want them to last. I don't want to pull them off after a year or two to get them recoated again (if it is possible to last that long). I had I set of Borla's on a truck a few years back that I had Jet Hot coated. I didn't keep the truck long enough to have any problems with them.

Thanks again for all the good info. I am pretty anal about what I am buying when I spend a grand for something...:D

-Muzzy

Muzzy if ya arent going long tubes then go with bissani.

Gibsons sux, had them, no power difference hardly, but heard great things about bissani.

check out justins deal til april 15th...bassani headers, 3" catless mids, and magna flows...it's a new exhaust, headers to tips $1785...

I was wondering if I am getting the long tubes then would I need to remove the cats or what? I want to get long tubes with hi-flow midpipes with cat, would it fit?

That was going to be my next question...who has a good deal on set of Bassani's? :D

-Muzzy

Why Bassani's over Gibson's

This is a no-brainer in my opinion.

The bassani's are a much better header.

The material the Bassani uses is thicker, and the welds and flanges are better crafted in my opinion. I have seen both company's products up close.

They are a true Tri-Y design which gives much better midrange torque.
The HP is up across the board.

The coating on the Bassani's is very high quality as is the finish.

There is a usually reason that something costs more, it is made better.

The Bassani's are also 50 state legal.

The ceramic coating on the Bassani headers also has a lifetime warranty on adhesion and rust through.
This is the last set of headers you will buy for your truck.

I am going to put a set of Bassani headers and exhaust parts on my Red truck.

They are great to deal with as I have been buying Bassani for many years and always had a good experiance.

Where else in the world could a person get this kind of input?

VTCOA ROCKS:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

FSTJACK said:
This is a no-brainer in my opinion.

The bassani's are a much better header.

The material the Bassani uses is thicker, and the welds and flanges are better crafted in my opinion. I have seen both company's products up close.

They are a true Tri-Y design which gives much better midrange torque.
The HP is up across the board.

The coating on the Bassani's is very high quality as is the finish.

There is a usually reason that something costs more, it is made better.

The Bassani's are also 50 state legal.

The ceramic coating on the Bassani headers also has a liftiime warranty on adhesion and rust through.
This is the last set of headers you will buy for your truck.

I am going to put a set of Bassani headers and exhaust parts on my Red truck.

They are great to deal with as I have been buying Bassani for many years and always had a good experiance.

and this commin from a guy that wears a moomoo?:p

- Smaller primary tubes (1.500” vs. 1.750”)
That's the biggest thing that sticks out to me. More and more a factor, the more mods you add and air you flow.

I have the Bassani's and love them. I've not had a set of Gibson's on this truck, but I do have a set on my wife's truck. Both have lasted equally as well, but I like the fit and looks of the Bassani's hands down, and with the bigger tubes and other advantages listed here, it's a no brainer, IMHO. The one issue I've had with the Bassani's is that where the tubes come really close to each other the coating has burned, but as soonas I get a good excuse to take them off and send them out, that won't happen again...I'd recommend (with either set) to send them out and get the coated with Jet Hot or some similiar coating inside and out BEFORE they're ever installed.

Muzzy said:
Thanks for the info :). How has the coating on the Bassani's held up? Do you think they are worth the $150-$200 more? I have the stock mids with the cats removed, so line-up with the Gibson's should not be a problem unless I swap out the mids for better ones. I want the most power for dollars spent, but I also want them to last. I don't want to pull them off after a year or two to get them recoated again (if it is possible to last that long). I had I set of Borla's on a truck a few years back that I had Jet Hot coated. I didn't keep the truck long enough to have any problems with them.

Thanks again for all the good info. I am pretty anal about what I am buying when I spend a grand for something...:D

-Muzzy

The coating on the Bassani's have held up fine.....They are a little more dull than before but not rust or other discoloration.

Its worth the extra $2-300 for the Bassani's ;)

The only kicker for me on the Bassani's is that I can't stand how they look. Those curled up pipes sticking up just doesn't cut it for me in the looks department. ;)

I pretty sure I will be getting the Bassani's. I am currently checking into finding the best deal on them. Thanks again for all the input. It is nice to be able to get an opinion from people that have seen or own them vs. looking at pictures online. There is no place near me I can just drive and take a look. I appreciate all the help. :)

-Muzzy

I just (like an hour ago) ordered the Bassani's, catless mids, and magnaflow from JMB. I don't think there is a much better deal than his 1785 for everything.

BlackViperRam04 said:
I just (like an hour ago) ordered the Bassani's, catless mids, and magnaflow from JMB. I don't think there is a much better deal than his 1785 for everything.

I already have catless mids and the Magnaflow cat back. All I need is the headers.

Thanks
-Muzzy

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back