GM and Chrysler Merger?

ChrisAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BREAKING: GM and Chrysler talking about merger
Posted Oct 10th 2008 11:04PM by Damon Lavrinc
Filed under: Etc., Government/Legal, Hirings/Firings/Layoffs, Plants/Manufacturing, Chrysler, LLC., GM

Our heads are still reeling from one of the most tumultuous financial weeks on record, and the auto industry was far from immune. But despite our best efforts to drown our concerns in Racer5 IPA, the hits keep coming, and this time it's courtesy of the New York Times.

The Gray Lady is reporting that General Motors and Chrysler have been in talks about a possible merger for the past month, that "negotiations are not certain to produce a deal," "would most likely still take weeks to work out" (obfuscate much?) and that two unnamed sources say that the chances of the merger going through are "50-50."

With GM's stock prices ending the week below $5 a share and Cerberus – the private equity firm that owns Chrysler – grasping at the flimsiest of straws, including continued talks with Nissan/Renault, a merger of unequals is two parts disturbing and one part intriguing.

Cerberus' people haven't been returning phone calls and the only comment offered to the NYT from the General's spokesperson, Tony Cervone, was, "Without referencing that specific rumor, as we've often said at GM officials routinely discuss issues of mutual interest with other automakers." Broad, unclear and exactly what we'd expect.

The merger of GM and Chrysler would put Cerberus in charge of an "unspecified equity stake" in the corporation, making the two-headed General-Chrysler (or Chrysler Motors?) the world's largest automaker, controlling over 35 percent of the U.S. vehicle market, causing rifts among brand faithful and offering more potential (vehicle) cannibalization than the Donner Party. Not to mention both automakers' labor contracts, supplier dealers and slipping market share. Shocked? Don't be. We give it a snowball's chance on the Sun.

Thanks to ALL who tipped in.

[Source: NYT]

ChrisAZ said:
BREAKING: GM and Chrysler talking about merger
Posted Oct 10th 2008 11:04PM by Damon Lavrinc
Filed under: Etc., Government/Legal, Hirings/Firings/Layoffs, Plants/Manufacturing, Chrysler, LLC., GM

Our heads are still reeling from one of the most tumultuous financial weeks on record, and the auto industry was far from immune. But despite our best efforts to drown our concerns in Racer5 IPA, the hits keep coming, and this time it's courtesy of the New York Times.

The Gray Lady is reporting that General Motors and Chrysler have been in talks about a possible merger for the past month, that "negotiations are not certain to produce a deal," "would most likely still take weeks to work out" (obfuscate much?) and that two unnamed sources say that the chances of the merger going through are "50-50."

With GM's stock prices ending the week below $5 a share and Cerberus – the private equity firm that owns Chrysler – grasping at the flimsiest of straws, including continued talks with Nissan/Renault, a merger of unequals is two parts disturbing and one part intriguing.

Cerberus' people haven't been returning phone calls and the only comment offered to the NYT from the General's spokesperson, Tony Cervone, was, "Without referencing that specific rumor, as we've often said at GM officials routinely discuss issues of mutual interest with other automakers." Broad, unclear and exactly what we'd expect.

The merger of GM and Chrysler would put Cerberus in charge of an "unspecified equity stake" in the corporation, making the two-headed General-Chrysler (or Chrysler Motors?) the world's largest automaker, controlling over 35 percent of the U.S. vehicle market, causing rifts among brand faithful and offering more potential (vehicle) cannibalization than the Donner Party. Not to mention both automakers' labor contracts, supplier dealers and slipping market share. Shocked? Don't be. We give it a snowball's chance on the Sun.

Thanks to ALL who tipped in.

[Source: NYT]

Love the Donner Pary reference...............:congrats:

D

Hey Brad, you might as well buy some weed. Either way your money is gonna go up in smoke, at least that way you will catch a buzz. heheheh.

I really, really would not even think about auto stocks. Talk about an industry in trouble.

OCBob said:
Hey Brad, you might as well buy some weed. Either way your money is gonna go up in smoke, at least that way you will catch a buzz. heheheh.

I really, really would not even think about auto stocks. Talk about an industry in trouble.

The price will go up in time but this is a great time to buy now if you have the money. I personally don't have the money but maybe someone else could cash in on this.:dontknow:

SrtBrad said:
The price will go up in time but this is a great time to buy now if you have the money. I personally don't have the money but maybe someone else could cash in on this.:dontknow:
I don't know about that. It really would not surprise me to see one of the big three go belly up in the relative near future. And I think that a merger would probably drag both stocks down. I think folks would see it as a desperation move, which doesn't usually bode well for stock prices.

I would not buy GM stock now...the future is too murky...and you cannot buy Chrysler stock...it is private.

The auto stocks are pretty cheap right now...but there is a reason...the companies are weak.

With the recent government bail out of the financial industry, if the Motors want large assistance, I have some doubts that there will be anything huge made available.

Hold on to your cash for a little bit...let's see what is going to happen to the economy.

Whats the scoop with Chrysler and VW-Volks Wagen?? That new VW Routan van is a Chrysler Town and country with the VW name on it and being built at the Chrysler plant.

Yellow venom said:
Whats the scoop with Chrysler and VW-Volks Wagen?? That new VW Routan van is a Chrysler Town and country with the VW name on it and being built at the Chrysler plant.

That is correct. It's made in Windsor.

That is about all that's going on between the two of them.

well there might be a upside to this, as soon as I think bout it. i will post another thread.

Chrysler sales are off 25% this year.

This may be the very best opportunity to get a deal on a Viper!

Prof said:

Maybe one of the last chances as Chrysler announced major lay offs, plant closers, and the real possibility of not only selling, but ,selling the company of in pieces to various buyers.

Prof said:

They have put the Viper on the Employee Purchase Plan list for the first time. :) If you have anyone that can get it, it's below invoice price. ;) If you were interested, I think I can get it.... but I don't think they use a "control number" like Ford does. That means it won't transfer....... you would have to adopt me. :D :eek: :dontknow: :marchmellow:

Yep, Here is a built sheet for the convert. I think I have a number if anyone wants it.

Attachments

• Viper Build sheet.pdf
    31.5 KB · Views: 47
Black1 said:
...That means it won't transfer....... you would have to adopt me. :D :eek: :dontknow: :marchmellow:

Does Sarah get included in the package?

And I think just prior to the '09's coming out...if they come out...we will see some new Vipers at $60k...and I will have to jump.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back