Good ol 48re Question

MurderedQC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so just today my trans has started to slip 1st-2nd shift, drives final under normal conditions but slips if i hit it in 2nd. No other gear slips and the other gears shift hard as hell as usual. I have a shit kit and upgraded solenoids and manifold design. I have never adjusted the bands yet. Do you think its as easy as a band adjustment or the trans is on the way out?

Get the bands adjusted ASAP the more you drive it with it slipping the less chance you have of the band adjustment working. You'll also need a full trans flush to get all the clutch material out. Even then it might only last a little longer, or it could last another 5years just never know

When my trans started acting up I just ignored it and eventually lost 1st and reverse, I mean…I could still drive it, Just went 80 thousand miles without ever adjusting the bands. I had to get my trans rebuilt, ended up using suncoast parts. In other words, adjust your bands. lol

When my trans started acting up I just ignored it and eventually lost 1st and reverse, I mean…I could still drive it, Just went 80 thousand miles without ever adjusting the bands. I had to get my trans rebuilt, ended up using suncoast parts. In other words, adjust your bands. lol

Hahaha, will do!

When mine was doing what yours is I adjusted the bands and it wasn't long 2nd gear was gone and I put a good trans in it,a T56 six speed lol

Bro I wouldn't evan know where to begin

go to a shop with vipertech in the house...

when my 2nd gear was out , the other gears where fine , band adjust didnt help anymore because the drum that stops first gear was gone...
did a rebuild and see what came out...

now after the rebuild with upgraded parts , the truck drives and shift better than it was brandnew...:rock:

What upgrades are recommended and rough price for rebuild is poss please looking at a truck here in uk with hard shifting so if needs to come apart would like to k ow what to put back in, and has to be auto as have no feet due to accident

What upgrades are recommended and rough price for rebuild is poss please looking at a truck here in uk with hard shifting so if needs to come apart would like to k ow what to put back in, and has to be auto as have no feet due to accident

ship your truck to Martin in Holland for the rebuild

mail him with your questions and send regards from me (Sammy from Belgium)

TransM - Transmissie revisie

Well I would begin at the transmission ;) haha there are a few how to's out there, but I would just make sure you do EVERY step

go to a shop with vipertech in the house...

when my 2nd gear was out , the other gears where fine , band adjust didnt help anymore because the drum that stops first gear was gone...
did a rebuild and see what came out...

This is a result of the bands being out of adjustment for quiet sometime....

This is a result of the bands being out of adjustment for quiet sometime....

dont think so sir , my band where adjust every 15K miles , and yes , in a shop by a vipertech.
the last band adjustment was 9K miles earlier...:(

this is the result of a viperengine at a shitty gearbox that need upgraded parts...;)

dont think so sir , my band where adjust every 15K miles , and yes , in a shop by a vipertech.
the last band adjustment was 9K miles earlier...:(

this is the result of a viperengine at a shitty gearbox that need upgraded parts...;)

The pic of the wear on the drum suggests otherwise.

The pic of the wear on the drum suggests otherwise.

i know sir , bud i dont lie , i even did witness the adjustments every time in the shop , i even had the band-adjust-manual from Tony (jtsv).

i know sir , bud i dont lie , i even did witness the adjustments every time in the shop , i even had the band-adjust-manual from Tony (jtsv).

I'm not saying you are lying. The wear looks pretty severe which is why arrestmered04 said it was due to band adjustment. Either way your truck is in much better shape now. :D

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back