Google Voice - Cool Find!

azpyroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured I would share this…. It is a cool find, and it’s free!!

If your like me, you don’t give your cell phone number to everyone, but like being able to receive calls on your cell, and not get charged for them (who doesn’t??)

Caveat: This only works if you have a “Friends and Familyâ€￾ type plan, where you can add a number to “your listâ€￾ and have it treated as an “in-networkâ€￾ number. Different carriers call it by other names. This happens to be what Verizon calls it.

Visit: http://voice.google.com

Sign in with your Google Account(if you have a Gmail Account use that) (if you don’t have one, see below)
>>> Sign up for a Free “Googleâ€￾ Account (if you don’t have one already), it give you an chance to do this when signing in.

When you sign in it will ask you to choose a number. Just enter an area code that you would like to have your number in. Then choose Search for numbers.

Now, you can choose from the list of available numbers.

Once you have done this, it will sign you into your account,

And ask you to add a number to your account, that you want calls to be forwarded to. There is a small verification process you have to do here, but it’s simple.

Look at the top right, for “Settingsâ€￾ it will drop down, choose “Voice Settingsâ€￾

Now, choose the “Callsâ€￾ Tab, and select the options you want.

I choose:

Call Screen: On, Ask Unknown Caller to say their name
Caller ID (in): Display my Google Voice Number (this is important, as your carrier will see this number as the caller)
Caller ID (out): Display my Google Voice Number (right now, this only works for text messages)

Choose Save

Now, choose the “Voice Mail and Text â€￾ Tab, and select the options you want:

Most of this is pretty self explanatory
Voicemail Notifications: Email the message to your email address (if you want)
Send a Test Message to your phone, advising you have a voice mail on your Google Voice.
If you lazy, you can even have it transcribe your voice mails for you to your text and email addresses.

Lastly: Add your “newâ€￾ Google Voice number to your wireless carriers “in-networkâ€￾ list, and wa-la, you can now have people call you on your new “Google Voiceâ€￾ number
and not get charged airtime minutes.

Enjoy. =)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back