Got a squeaky pulley

sparksftball69

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure one of my pulleys is squeaky as hell when it feels like it. I noticed last week but it went away...its back again today for a bit but now its gone... Any suggestions on how to find out which it is or how to fix it. Or is there any prevent maint for all of them and I Can just do them all while i'm at it?

I noticed it just after I installed the B&B headers

not to sure! been there since i had the truck...i've had the truck for a year

think the bolt is a 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 something like that

I have the squeaking idler pulley. A little wd40 and its good to go for months...

I'll try tomorrow I appreciate it. What causes it though?

would PJ's chain oil work....i love that stuff on my bike....its like a grease cuz it sticks but doesn't hold sand, dirt or moisture but but sprays like WD40!

How would the belt cause the noise. Its not a slipping its almost like if the pulley was spinning and you were to take the tip of a screw driver and barely touch it...Not a grinding but just an anoying squeak

Use a machine oil on the idler. WD 40 is a cleaner more than it is a lubricant.

White Lithium Grease in a spray can has worked wonders for me in the past, I have never heard of any downsides to it, Have you. I ask cause that is what I used about 2 months ago on my idler pulley.

White Lithium Grease in a spray can has worked wonders for me in the past, I have never heard of any downsides to it, Have you? I ask cause that is what I used about 2 months ago on my idler pulley.

Dam double post, sorry

Yes it is...and it works...
The last time I used the Dry Lube with parafin(wax) spray and it seems to last the longest for me../..

Getting pretty frustrated with this F@@#n squeak! It comes and goes randomly....Sometimes its really quiet and around 2-3 times it was pretty loud....sounds almost like a shacking metal and metal squeak...sprayed all the pulleys and thought that it was gone but its back. Sprayed the belt and same thing its still there...the problem with finding out if its gone or not is that it stops when it feels like it. Any idea on how to find a squeak. Would a stethoscope help find it or no? any ideas guys would help. I only noticed it once i put the new B&B headers on. Could it be a slight exhaust leak... I did order a new set of OEM exhaust manifold gaskets cuz the supplied ones SUCK!!! Also does anyone know how many ball bearings are supposed to be in the Fan. Looks like i have just 4 randomly placed ball bearings....never noticed it before! but just curious

Replace the belt. I thought I had pulley problems as well. Annoying equaling noise off and on up and down, I truly dreaded finding out what the problem was. Finally grew a pair, changed the belt, I haunt heard a chirp since. Give it a shot, it's a cheap shot before you start replacing stuff. Is your power steering pump full?

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back