Got a squeaky pulley

Yeah power steering is full...i guess ill try the belt. I really dont think its the belt but ill give it a try...It only does it every once and hasn't for a couple days now....Doesn't seem like a squealing fan belt but more like a every so often squeak!

OK...so after installing I installed my friends stall in his 06 GTO and got his car all nice and smooth (minus shift points) I go to start mine up and its squeaking like hell...really embarrassing especially with as much attention as these trucks draw...so after I felt like a schmuck I drove over and grabbed a serpentine belt just to try...well that wasn't it cuz the one I had in was practically brand new...but I tried it anyway to no luck...even more frustrated now i pulled it all back off and started pulling the pulleys I could. I got the tensioner pulley off and tried to spin it but it felt like something was grinding inside the bearing... So i sprayed the bearing with WD40 to clean it out and then shot some PJ's chain grease. but still nothing...wish i would have taken pics. So what i did was drilled a little hole to i could get some stuff into it...and sprayed it all out got a lot of black crap ...but then i packed it with some grease through the small hole (as much as i could get in there) and holly sh1t...it doesn't squeak now. So...long story short it works runs quieter then ever but if it starts squeaking in the next few days again i'm going to take a sledge hammer to the front of the engine...or buy another pulley.

So I am also having squeak trouble took it to dodge told them I have a cold start squeak when it warms up its gone. They replaced the belt squeak gone, 2 weeks later it comes right back take it back to dodge said it was a faulty belt, just the other day 3 weeks now squeak is back again starting to think the belt is not the problem. Again when truck warms up the squeak is gone only during cold start is when it does it. very annoying and embarrassing.

Belt tensioner pulley?????? or idler pulleys??????

It's the idler pulley. They are not expensive. Replace it and the belt (Gatorback) and you will not have a squeak.

That's funny, I never even looked at the date. I could have gotten away with this though, look at post #24

I skipped right over top of SmokedYou's post so I must apologize, my bad

Most likely idler or tensioner, I will point this out though are you noticing any P/S fluid loss or a difference in handling?

I skipped right over top of SmokedYou's post so I must apologize, my bad

Most likely idler or tensioner, I will point this out though are you noticing any P/S fluid loss or a difference in handling?

That's what I am trying to say, I missed Smokedyou's post as well until you pointed out the post was from 2011. Then I saw it :D

My idler sounded like a bird chirping under the hood when it was cold. Nice sound for a performance vehicle. After I replaced that and put on a Goodyear Gatorback belt, it went away.

Then most likely a bad idler or tensioner, a new belt will hide the problem but as the belt gets warn out it's gonna come back. Go to any parts store and get yourself a Dayco Idler and tensioner pully(Same as OEM). Shouldn't taken but a few minutes to switch out.

That's what I am trying to say, I missed Smokedyou's post as well until you pointed out the post was from 2011. Then I saw it :D

I'm glad we're both blind as bats haha

Then most likely a bad idler or tensioner, a new belt will hide the problem but as the belt gets warn out it's gonna come back. Go to any parts store and get yourself a Dayco Idler and tensioner pully(Same as OEM). Shouldn't taken but a few minutes to switch out.

Thanks for the help man dodge replaced the Idler which was the culprit only charged me 100 bucks for the part and no labor since it was my thrid time up there for the same problem. Dont know to much about working on pulley so I had to get them to do it. But thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help man dodge replaced the Idler which was the culprit only charged me 100 bucks for the part and no labor since it was my thrid time up there for the same problem. Dont know to much about working on pulley so I had to get them to do it. But thanks again.

Glad they got it fixed but they raped you man, it's only like a $10 part.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back