Got my horsepower back boys!!!

evanandretti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well before I thought my truck had low horsepower... and came to conclusion it was a cam issue. Other issues I had were a bad clutch chatter, and gear box noise when playing with the throttle in lower gears. This was all after a rebuilt tranny and new clutch.

Well today I got a new flywheel put in today...

I swear this thing has atleast 50 more ponies to the wheels. No more chatter, and no more clunking. She is solid.

I know I still have to break it in, but I just had to put my foot in it and see if it made a difference. She PULLS! Must have been some slippage before, seemed to fall on it's face mid RPM's.

I'll be taking her to the track to see what she can do now!! :elefant:

Thanks buddy.

My clutch pedal is a lot firmer now too. Seems like a different truck.

Edit: Just took her for another drive... some of the clunking is still there. mainly in first and second. When you let of the throttle there is a slight clunk as well as when you go back on the throttle. he said he checked the tail shaft and it was good, but he didnt open up the tranny while it was out. What would cause that!?

Last edited:
Good news. You will have to haul ass over here on Saturday!!:aetsch::aetsch:

I really wish I could bud. Just not in the budget right now. We will have to plan a meet closer to the city that rhymes with fun.:burnout:

WAIT!! What happened to breaking in the flywheel first? Did you properly break in your new clutch?

New clutch about 3000 miles ago. It was broken in properly. This flywheel will be too... Aside for the one time I put my foot in in after about 100 miles. Just had too... :D

A slight clunk when letting off the throttle is normal. Its caused by gear lash, the tiny clearance between all mating gears that you currently have engaged. All the way from the input shaft of the transmission to the axles in the rear end. When accelerating the lash is all taken up, then when you decelerate the lash has to be removed in the other direction, when this happens you have a slight clunk or pulsation in the vehicle. (If this makes any sense, how I explain it?)

What flywheel did you have earlier and what one did you put in this time?

Did Ron help with the cam issue? Is yours a 06?

A slight clunk when letting off the throttle is normal. Its caused by gear lash, the tiny clearance between all mating gears that you currently have engaged. All the way from the input shaft of the transmission to the axles in the rear end. When accelerating the lash is all taken up, then when you decelerate the lash has to be removed in the other direction, when this happens you have a slight clunk or pulsation in the vehicle. (If this makes any sense, how I explain it?)

What flywheel did you have earlier and what one did you put in this time?

Did Ron help with the cam issue? Is yours a 06?

Thanks for the info bud ill stop worrying now. Haha. I had a stock flywheel in before, but it was resurfaced and caused chattering issues. Replaced it with another stocker. Me and Ron spoke but a cam swap was not in the budget. Mine is an 06 yep. But I think there was some slipping going on before if that's possible... Clutch seems to grab alot better and truck pulls harder. Tough to say as it's not broken in yet... But a hell of a difference as of right now. Maybe it's in my head??? Clutch is firmer now too... Truck just drives alot better.

Mine is super rough especially when trying to drive slow. It seems like its only happy with me when I have my foot to the floor. The joys of a vehicle that is barely streetable, and only going to get worse once Justin sends me a package.

Its surprising that you had issues with a resurfaced flywheel especially if it was done properly. Not that it is that difficult, any decent machinist could do that with there eyes closed. Are you sure that you didnt change anything else when putting the clutch back on?

So what did you do to fix your cam problem? Did you degree it to the proper centerline?

Everything else was left as is. The cam thing was basically a hunch based on similar problems as old colt. I don't think anything else was changed when the flywheel was put in. And apparently you are not suppose to resurface our flywheels. But some guys have with no problems. And how would a guy check if the degree needs to be changed??

Basically need some special tools to see where the lobe separation angle currently is at and then verifying that it is set where Dodge wanted it set to. I have no idea what the spec is, but if installed wrong it makes a big difference.

Info on centerlines:

COMP Cams® - Effect of Changes In Cam Timing and Lobe Separation Angle

Step 8 on this link shows the degreeing procedure:

COMP Cams® Top 10 Tech FAQs - CPG Nation Forum

Thanks buddy. I'll look into it. Going to go to the track soon and get it dyno'd first.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back