got some news last night

eddie102870

Supporting Member
Reaction score
:dontknow: well im sitting at home watching the tube letting my broke ass foot rest when my son comes in about 9pm. he told me earlier in the day he needed to talk to me. anyway i walk out to the front porch to let the dog take a shit and he walks out there with me. he's been going to a community college getting his basics out of the way and working this summer hoping to transfer to troy state university next year. well that was the plan anyway. well the fall semester money is due next week and he tells me we might want to hold off on that because he is thinking he might want to go in the air force. he's only been to college one semester and really doesnt know what he wants to do with his life. i just told him last night he really needed to think about it and make sure it was what he wanted to do. his half sister went in and ended up doing nuthin but drinkin and got pregnant. i asked him if he was interested in OCS he really doesnt know what he wants right now and id hate for him to start down a path and not be satisfied with where he is headed. dont get me wrong, he could use the discipline. im just wondering where he wants to take this. he has the opportunity to go to a university and make something for hisself, but all his buddies or headed off to college and im wondering if that is whats bothering him.

For what it's worth:

Any branch of the military will give him a good start at life. If he really wants to go, make sure that he signs up for the GI Bill, that way he can go to college for next to nothing when he gets out. He can take college courses while he's in at a discounted rate anyway!

Saying that he needs to go to college (especially community college) to make something of himself makes it sound like you don't think that he can make something of himself in the Air Force.:dontknow:

Go to the recruiter with him, sit down, keep an open mind and a closed mouth, and help him if he needs advice. There are some interesting careers available in the Air Force, and the experience can not be had anywhere else!

Maybe you can ask him if he would consider being a weekend warrior and joining the ANG. They will help him with college too, and he can get a little experience to see if it is something that he really wants to do. At worst he puts in a little time, and gets out in a couple of years.

Just my $.02 worth

Borden3srt said:
The military offers a ton of college programs like the G.I. Bill and tuition assistance. He can call me when ever he wants Eddie. I can talk to him about the Navy life. Not quite the same, but I have some useful knowledge. You have my number still?

It's not a bad life, but it is easy to get side tracked if you are not focused with all the moving around, and deployments. If he is dedicated for college, it's a good deal for the TA and GI bill.
i may do that steve. hes at the age right now where he doesnt know wtf he wants to do. he has it made really and doesnt even know it. he cleans the office here twice a week which makes him about 675.00 a month plus he works in the shop at 9 bucks a hour with no taxes when hes not in school. pays no rent my wife does all his laundry and all he has to pay is him insurance and gas....lol id swap with him in a heartbeat.:D i just want him to find a direction and start headed that way. you might be getting a call from him before long. i dont trust his sisters advice. hell she aint the smartest knife in the drawer if you know what i mean.

Good morning Eddie. How old is your son? Your advice to take some time and think things over is the best advice. In the meantime, have him, at the very least complete 2 yrs of college towards a 2yr degree if the community college offers one. Use this time to explore any fields of study he may be interested in. Then, if he still wants to serve our country, check with the armed services of your choice to see if there is a comparable program they offer. This will, at the very least provide some focus. Remember, Eddie, depending upon how old he is, there are a lot of physical changes occuring, as well as social enviornmental pressures. (his friends). This is a delicate time. A quick decision or snap judgement may result in regret. My dad, may he rest his soul, used to say, "Act in haste, repent in leisure".

ntw0rk said:
For what it's worth:

Any branch of the military will give him a good start at life. If he really wants to go, make sure that he signs up for the GI Bill, that way he can go to college for next to nothing when he gets out. He can take college courses while he's in at a discounted rate anyway!

Saying that he needs to go to college (especially community college) to make something of himself makes it sound like you don't think that he can make something of himself in the Air Force.:dontknow:

Go to the recruiter with him, sit down, keep an open mind and a closed mouth, and help him if he needs advice. There are some interesting careers available in the Air Force, and the experience can not be had anywhere else!

Maybe you can ask him if he would consider being a weekend warrior and joining the ANG. They will help him with college too, and he can get a little experience to see if it is something that he really wants to do. At worst he puts in a little time, and gets out in a couple of years.

Just my $.02 worth
thats not what i was saying. his plans were to get his basics out of the way while living at the house and working that way when he transfered to the university he would be ahead of the game and hopefully a little more mature. he has no study habits and if he went straight to a university id be paying for a party which im not gonna do. not for him at least if im gonna fund a party i want to be invited...lol ill support him in whatever he wants to do i just dont want him making a mistake in whatever avenue he takes whether its military or whatever. i ve always told him i thought the military would do him good. you know how it is i just am worried he wont stick with it. his mom has a bad habit of starting stuff and not finishing in all areas of her like. im hoping he wont take after her:D thats where hes getting his ideas from at the moment.

hes 18 been out of high school a few months. me and dawn are leaving town this weekend and he is headed to the beach. told me last night he was gonna meet with a recruiter friday night on the way down there, i may ask him to wait till i can go with him and set up a time next week so we can do some investigating and try to make a informed decision not some seat of the pants deal.

eddie102870 said:
hes 18 been out of high school a few months. me and dawn are leaving town this weekend and he is headed to the beach. told me last night he was gonna meet with a recruiter friday night on the way down there, i may ask him to wait till i can go with him and set up a time next week so we can do some investigating and try to make a informed decision not some seat of the pants deal.
:congrats: You are a good Dad!

Sounds like you have it fingered out!! :D

Steve's advice is right on too! The notebook will come in handy.

I would encourage him to talk to more than one branch of the military too. And let them all know that you are doing that. The competition is fierce.

I am assuming he hasn't take the ASVAB yet either.?? This score will determine what kind of job he can do in the military, it's a VERY important test. Score low, you are a cook, score well and you could have a job that will transfer to the real world very well. (of course, it could also be so specialized that it won't transfer, like mine {not to many commercial subs around that need hunting from a cessna:p})

And he should always keep in mind what Steve said, once you are in, you are in. No really GOOD way of getting out early. AND, unless he does at least 8 years on active duty, he can expect to be in the reserves of the guard to make up the remainder of the 8 years.

ntw0rk said:
Sounds like you have it fingered out!! :D

Steve's advice is right on too! The notebook will come in handy.

I would encourage him to talk to more than one branch of the military too. And let them all know that you are doing that. The competition is fierce.

I am assuming he hasn't take the ASVAB yet either.?? This score will determine what kind of job he can do in the military, it's a VERY important test. Score low, you are a cook, score well and you could have a job that will transfer to the real world very well. (of course, it could also be so specialized that it won't transfer, like mine {not to many commercial subs around that need hunting from a cessna:p})

And he should always keep in mind what Steve said, once you are in, you are in. No really GOOD way of getting out early. AND, unless he does at least 8 years on active duty, he can expect to be in the reserves of the guard to make up the remainder of the 8 years.
thats my concern, he's good out of the gate but down the stretch needs some working on if you know what i mean.

He might surprise you!

There is something about the military that changes a lot of people for the better. Of course some people just weren't cut out for it either. The problem is, usually you won't know until you go.

Sometimes all it takes is the sense of belonging that you get, sometimes it's the feeling of being part of something of great importance, but there is something there that can put even the (seemingly) lost, on a path of direction and purpose.

Here is my take on it. First let me start by how I ended up in the Navy. I went off to the Medical College of Ga at 17 and was just too young to be there. I was studying Radiation Therapy and didn't really like treating patients. Went back to Savannah to the local college. Dropped out and was working at Walmart. I ended up with a job at Intermarine USA which builds MCS class ships. After almost a year I got laid off right before X-mas. So there I was with no job, no training and no education. So I enlisted in the Navy and went off to boot camp at 20 yrs old. Through the next 8.5 years I went from E-1 to E-6 and got my Bachelors which the Navy paid for. My job was a Photographers mate and I also went to 2nd class divers training in Panama City (which I attrited for 2 pushups, long story). I was getting out and was on the short list with Secret Service (Pre 9/11). I dropped my Officer package and got picked up for Pilot. So that is where I'm at now (Flying since 2001).

Sometimes you have to hit the bottom to know where you want to go. I'm not saying your son has hit the bottom. More of a "Where will I be in 3/5/7 years." There is another option for you son. It is called the BDCP. You son goes to college which the Navy pays for, he also get E-3-E-5 pay while in school. I'm not trying to sway him from enlisting, just trying to throw out some other options.

My advice for enlisting is to do one of the following for a MOS/Rate;
1. Something you can only do in the Military. i.e. Aviation Ordnance
2. Something that will provide a good job when you get out of the military i.e. Air traffic Controller
3. Something which promotes fast. Some jobs are overcrowded so it takes much longer to promote.
4. Something that you really love. i.e. Diver, Photographer, Medic

Eddie if your son ever has some questions just let me know. I can talk to him on the phone or if you wanted to come down here I can give a pretty good tour of flight school here. We train Navy/Marine/Coast Guard/Airforce for primary flight school and Navy/Marine/Coast Guard for heilcopters. I can take y'all around, sit in some aircraft and maybe get into the simulator. Just let me know.

Smoke

my old man talked me out of going into the military. now i wish i would have gone in. just the fact that i would have done my part as an american to protect this country.

FlyingLow said:
Here is my take on it. First let me start by how I ended up in the Navy. I went off to the Medical College of Ga at 17 and was just too young to be there. I was studying Radiation Therapy and didn't really like treating patients. Went back to Savannah to the local college. Dropped out and was working at Walmart. I ended up with a job at Intermarine USA which builds MCS class ships. After almost a year I got laid off right before X-mas. So there I was with no job, no training and no education. So I enlisted in the Navy and went off to boot camp at 20 yrs old. Through the next 8.5 years I went from E-1 to E-6 and got my Bachelors which the Navy paid for. My job was a Photographers mate and I also went to 2nd class divers training in Panama City (which I attrited for 2 pushups, long story). I was getting out and was on the short list with Secret Service (Pre 9/11). I dropped my Officer package and got picked up for Pilot. So that is where I'm at now (Flying since 2001).

Sometimes you have to hit the bottom to know where you want to go. I'm not saying your son has hit the bottom. More of a "Where will I be in 3/5/7 years." There is another option for you son. It is called the BDCP. You son goes to college which the Navy pays for, he also get E-3-E-5 pay while in school. I'm not trying to sway him from enlisting, just trying to throw out some other options.

My advice for enlisting is to do one of the following for a MOS/Rate;
1. Something you can only do in the Military. i.e. Aviation Ordnance
2. Something that will provide a good job when you get out of the military i.e. Air traffic Controller
3. Something which promotes fast. Some jobs are overcrowded so it takes much longer to promote.
4. Something that you really love. i.e. Diver, Photographer, Medic

Eddie if your son ever has some questions just let me know. I can talk to him on the phone or if you wanted to come down here I can give a pretty good tour of flight school here. We train Navy/Marine/Coast Guard/Airforce for primary flight school and Navy/Marine/Coast Guard for heilcopters. I can take y'all around, sit in some aircraft and maybe get into the simulator. Just let me know.

Smoke
will do, thanks

dragon said:
my old man talked me out of going into the military. now i wish i would have gone in. just the fact that i would have done my part as an american to protect this country.
i hear ya, im not trying to talk him out of it just trying to help him get pointed in the right direction.

eddie102870 said:
thats my concern, he's good out of the gate but down the stretch needs some working on if you know what i mean.
Maybe he needs the military to teach him to stick with it...

My personal belief is that everyone should do at least 1 tour in the military. It helps in a lot more ways than one!

My other thought is to make sure someone that has served in the military goes with him when he goes to the recruiter. These guys are under immense pressure to recruit kids, and there have been more than 1 that has told a lie to suck kids in.

Just know that the Military is a good thing. It teaches you a lot of stuff that you will never learn in college or in the private sector.

Good luck Eddie with your son. I hope he makes you proud!

hey eddie,i'm going through the same pains with my youngest son (he has one more year of high school though) he has gotten in some trouble of late and doesn't seem to care (hangs with a little older crowd and i think his "friends" are the problem) at thier ages its hard to see the "big" picture......remember!:D he has told me recently that he wants to do want i do (merchant marine), so i suggested the A&M maritime academy in galveston. 4 years and he will have a 3rd mate unlimited licencse, and would have so many options (military sealift,NOAH, vessels in the oil and gas industries etc.)his problem with the academy is you are in a corp (cadet) and would have to wear uniforms, etc. he says he's not into this! jeezus he pizzuz me off! $6,000 a semester and he can't wear khakis for a few hours a day!:argh: (i'm still working on him! he likes the part about the summer cruises through the south pacific!):D :rock: so... even though this isn't the military it has the "ambiance" of it,plus when he graduates no more uniforms:eek: i know the navy and coast guard has a ROTC program here,but not sure how that works. good luck and keep us informed!http://www.tamug.edu/corps/index.html

well here is another drop in the bucket ,,when my son turned 18 half his freinds went in ,and i had to hold him back to keep from going ,,i told him if he had a plan to try and learn a good trade in the military then i was for it ,,problem most youngons just want to do the cool stuff not learn something that will benifit them in the long haul of life ,and a good skill for the real world,,so i got him by hook and crook to wait a year or so and stick with school now as your boy is doing ..well to make a long story short he made it through school now makes 27 bucks an hour and all his buddys that joined up did nothing with there time in ,,they ALL came out with almost no skills in the real world ,,one did became a deisel mechanic but the others wasted the time in there ,

Ironhead said:
well here is another drop in the bucket ,,when my son turned 18 half his freinds went in ,and i had to hold him back to keep from going ,,i told him if he had a plan to try and learn a good trade in the military then i was for it ,,problem most youngons just want to do the cool stuff not learn something that will benifit them in the long haul of life ,and a good skill for the real world,,so i got him by hook and crook to wait a year or so and stick with school now as your boy is doing ..well to make a long story short he made it through school now makes 27 bucks an hour and all his buddys that joined up did nothing with there time in ,,they ALL came out with almost no skills in the real world ,,one did became a deisel mechanic but the others wasted the time in there ,

No 'waste'... They served their country. So they do not make the big bucks, they probably learn other valuable lessons, plus they did something very honorable. :congrats:

amtrucker22 said:
No 'waste'... They served their country. So they do not make the big bucks, they probably learn other valuable lessons, plus they did something very honorable. :congrats:

I agree. A better way to put it would be to say that they did not take full advantage of all of the opportunities that were presented to them. And they were presented!

Back