Guys I need some info on the automatic tranny!!!!

kickinassrt-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As some of you know I've only had my truck about 10 days now and I'm still getting used to it....so my question is I noticed a noise in the tanny kinda of like clicking in gears??? This is what it does..coasting between 25-40 with no to little throttle applied..then I apply gas to half throttle and notice (with windows down outside the truck) a click sound when I apply the throttle??? I have a friend who has a stick but I need someone with a auto to tell me if this is normal...also my first gear drops really hard into second on the slow acceleration off the stop!
I noticed a cable that runs from the engine bay back under to the tranny...someone had mentioned you can adjust shift firmness by this cable...I don't know which way to turn it in order for less or more firm shifts?? As of now my main concern is that click sound! :dontknow:
Thanks

Does anyone out there with a QC know or anyone with experience with these auto tranny's?????

first try changing filters and adjusting the bands, you can find out how in the DIY section. might want to replace the govoner solonoid whil you have the pan off.

Something else to think about too is the u-joints. They will click when they are going bad. Have you noticed any vibrations at higher speeds? I had those symptoms with my 05 Dodge Cummins. Replaced the u-joint and everything was good.

Thanks guys but I just bought the car from carmax and they do all the neccessary fluid changes and filters...(supposedly)..the selenoid could be a possibilty since I did that in my 04' F250 PSD and it was good ever since.... No vibrations at high speed either.... had it up to 130MPH the other day and smooth as if I was in a car! Going to check out the DIY section.... any other thoughts please let me know, as I think it might be something else.....

BTW when I first noticed the clicking, the vibration started about 400 miles later.

Is it just one "click" when you apply the load, or is it more like a "wick-wick-wick-wick"?

It might just be the stackup of backlash between the transmission, u-joints, and differential. Could be normal, could be excessive.

It's really hard to diagnose a noise over the internet.

If you're ever up in Broward (maybe Towershops) I can take a listen and give you a general direction to go.

As far as the firm shifts go, under light load what RPM/roadspeed does it shift? Under Moderate throttle?

Is it like an immediate, tire chirping shift, or does it flare up slightly?

I wouldn't mess with the band or TV cable adjustment just yet.

It could also be a shifter cable adjustment.

The DIY section had info on all of this.

Sorry, I don't have access right now, or I would link it for you.

The adjustment on the cable near the throttle is real easy, no tools necessary, but I forget exactly how. Stinker could tell you.

Good luck. But, I think it's just the truck. They make all kinds of weird noises.

The transmission naturally drops into 2nd fairly hard at light throttle. The adjustment is up near the throttle body on the engine. There is a cable with a white clip on it (bottom one of the three) Mark the cable with a pen or something where it goes into the fat collar looking thing so that you know where you started from. Pull the white clip off and if you pull the cable towards the front of the motor it will firm the shifts and the kickdown will be quicker when you stab the throttle. Away from the front is the opposite. Adjust in small increments and take a test drive.

How many miles are on the truck right now? It may be a good idea for a tranny flush, new filter, new solenoid, and check adjustment on the bands. This isn't that expensive and could definitely extend the life of your tranny.

Po-Lock said:
Is it just one "click" when you apply the load, or is it more like a "wick-wick-wick-wick"?

It might just be the stackup of backlash between the transmission, u-joints, and differential. Could be normal, could be excessive.

It's really hard to diagnose a noise over the internet.

If you're ever up in Broward (maybe Towershops) I can take a listen and give you a general direction to go.

As far as the firm shifts go, under light load what RPM/roadspeed does it shift? Under Moderate throttle?

Is it like an immediate, tire chirping shift, or does it flare up slightly?

I wouldn't mess with the band or TV cable adjustment just yet.

It could also be a shifter cable adjustment.
Hey pro-lock I actually bought my truck from that carmax by towershops....don't live to far from there either (s. east hollywood by the airport) When do you go out there, friday's?? by the way it is one quick click when a load is applied...

Scrambler1 said:
The transmission naturally drops into 2nd fairly hard at light throttle. The adjustment is up near the throttle body on the engine. There is a cable with a white clip on it (bottom one of the three) Mark the cable with a pen or something where it goes into the fat collar looking thing so that you know where you started from. Pull the white clip off and if you pull the cable towards the front of the motor it will firm the shifts and the kickdown will be quicker when you stab the throttle. Away from the front is the opposite. Adjust in small increments and take a test drive.

How many miles are on the truck right now? It may be a good idea for a tranny flush, new filter, new solenoid, and check adjustment on the bands. This isn't that expensive and could definitely extend the life of your tranny.
Truck has 39,400miles...the 2nd shift is quite hard I'm going to adjust over the weekend...going to Carmax to have the tranny looked at Friday morning....better safe than sorry...:argh:

Check and tighten the carrier bearing assy. First off check if broken by moving drive shaft. If that's ok then tighten the bolts that hold the assy. The long drive shaft needs the carrier bearing.

kickinassrt-10 said:
Truck has 39,400miles...the 2nd shift is quite hard I'm going to adjust over the weekend...going to Carmax to have the tranny looked at Friday morning....better safe than sorry...:argh:

I work in Dania, and live 2 block NE of Towers, I used to go every Friday, haven't been lately.

you've got a PM...

wow small world...what kind of truck do you have, color? My friend lives in dania....i haven't been to towers in a while either but thinking about going again soon

kickinassrt-10 said:
wow small world...what kind of truck do you have, color? My friend lives in dania....i haven't been to towers in a while either but thinking about going again soon

I've got a '99 Dakota R/T CC that's going to be getting an Iron V10 transplant over the next few months.

The truck is Red with a white Goodhoods twin scoop, a black repro RF fender, and a caved in RR quarter (hence the nickname "Rotten/Tomato") and dropped 2"/3.5".

I've pulled it off the street for bodywork and the drivetrain swap.

I get a clunk (not a click) when I apply throttle in similiar situation as you described above. I was told it was typical of these trucks to make the clunk sound. Maybe not the same as what you are describing though...

amtrucker22 said:
I get a clunk (not a click) when I apply throttle in similiar situation as you described above. I was told it was typical of these trucks to make the clunk sound. Maybe not the same as what you are describing though...
Hey thanks for checking it out...first off I have to say your truck is fu*kin bad as hell bro, that yellow and black....sweet... ok yea the noise is more like a clunk with the mixed sound more like a "clink" sound..if that makes sense???:dontknow:

kickinassrt-10 said:
Hey thanks for checking it out...first off I have to say your truck is fu*kin bad as hell bro, that yellow and black....sweet... ok yea the noise is more like a clunk with the mixed sound more like a "clink" sound..if that makes sense???:dontknow:

Does it make the noise if you're sitting still and shift back and forth between reverse and drive?

Po-Lock said:
Does it make the noise if you're sitting still and shift back and forth between reverse and drive?
It makes a low pitched quick noise as it shifts...almost as if the brakes were trying to move(that kind of noise) like a clink sound?? May be normal though??:dontknow:

I am willing to be it is normal. Everything that you describe sounds like mine.

I wouldn't dial down the firmness of the shift too much either. I am told that the firmer shift is actually a little better. The gears and bands engage quickly, and don't rub too much before meshing. (Something like that):eek: Kind of like popping the clutch to prevent burning it out.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back