"H" "X" or Nada . . . ?

"H" "X" or Nada . . . ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16563&highlight=x-pipe

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19083&highlight=x-pipe

This is how I understand it:

X-Pipes generally make a little more HP and a little less torque than an aftermarket H-pipe.

H = low end torque
X = high end horsepower

Both help for smooth exhaust performance and lower back pressure. The H-pipe only works in the lower RPM range and effectively turns off when the RPMs get above a certain point. The X-pipe does not have a high RPM cutoff point and works across the whole RPM band.

I thought the X pipe was HIgh end and H was low end I could have them swaped around. I am debating on even getting catless. What about emissions????????

OH I know I am camparing apples to oranges. But on the mustang the H pipe has a deeper sound versus the X pipe which is more mellow and it popped bad on it. I think you should go H. Just my opinion.

On an Odd fire V10 there is no Scavenge effect, therefore theres no reason for a x or h. I like the idea because it combines the two 5 cylinder engines running under your hood.................

I had both an X and an H in the same week. I went through 3 mufflers and 2 crossovers till i got it right. The magnaflow X-pipe popped like a futhermucker dropped some db's and i lost down low SUBSTANTIALLY. With the same 3 muffler setups and the h pipe; everything was better. I felt no difference in the top end but i had better pulling down low, better throttle response at cruising rpm, it was slightly louder much deeper and aggressive but got rid of most of the loud bangs and cracks on decel. For about 4000 rpm range on decel its smooth and just growls.

I had an x then an h on my hemi and went back to the x. Sounded and performed better. On the srt10, H all the way!

The correct way to do an h is spray roughly a 2 foot section where you want to put the h with cheap flat black paint. drive the hell out of it and try to make it pop repeatedly by accel then decel. The flat black with oxidize and turn white where you need to put the H.

DO NOT accept 2 torched holes with a fish mouthed pipe welded between. Get a formed h pipe with the same diameter crossover with unrestricted flow. When using dissimilar metals like galvanized/stainless they will creak and crackle when you cut the truck off and let if cool.

JeffBoyette said:
I had both an X and an H in the same week. I went through 3 mufflers and 2 crossovers till i got it right. The magnaflow X-pipe popped like a futhermucker dropped some db's and i lost down low SUBSTANTIALLY. With the same 3 muffler setups and the h pipe; everything was better. I felt no difference in the top end but i had better pulling down low, better throttle response at cruising rpm, it was slightly louder much deeper and aggressive but got rid of most of the loud bangs and cracks on decel. For about 4000 rpm range on decel its smooth and just growls.

I had an x then an h on my hemi and went back to the x. Sounded and performed better. On the srt10, H all the way!

The correct way to do an h is spray roughly a 2 foot section where you want to put the h with cheap flat black paint. drive the hell out of it and try to make it pop repeatedly by accel then decel. The flat black with oxidize and turn white where you need to put the H.

DO NOT accept 2 torched holes with a fish mouthed pipe welded between. Get a formed h pipe with the same diameter crossover with unrestricted flow. When using dissimilar metals like galvanized/stainless they will creak and crackle when you cut the truck off and let if cool.

Very interesting imformation.....may give this a try..

JeffBoyette said:

That is some wicked first hand info! Can't get any better then that,Guess I gotta get some flat black paint!
Hey JeffBoyette do you have a measurment to how far back your H-pipe is??:rock:

JeffBoyette said:

:love: :adore:

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

I'M GONNA STAND ON MY HIND LEGS AND PROCLAIM THAT THE ONLY BENEFIT IS SOUND THERE WILL BE NO PERFORMANCE GAIN.

THE FIRING ORDER JUST DOESN'T ALLOW FOR IT...............

In theory putting your h pipe the same place as mine would work but there are other factors. The location of the h-pipe is dependent on where the fuel vapors reignite in your system on decel, or where the exhaust pulse and flame front meets resistance under full acceleration. A couple factors change that location like the mufflers backpressure/scavenging, muffler location, change in tailpipe bend radius as it changes restriction, which cats if any are removed, mid-pipe diameter and bend radiuses. Airflow around your exhaust pipes cool it differently depending on how much your lowered and your front to rear rake. The cooling condenses exhaust gasses .

The biggest factor is the tune of your engine and how efficiently it is burning the fuel your spraying. The mileage of your engine, spark plug wear and how efficiently your Cold air intake and filter allow air, (and what temp that air is) into your engine all effect the a/f ratios in your exhaust gas, the velocity of that exhaust and the location of the highest exhaust pressure pulse. This changes the optimal location of a crossover. Considering the driver side exhaust is longer and has more bends that location may not always be perpendicular to the passenger side. This is the reason supercars strive for perfectly symetrical exhaust routes.

These are calculations automotive engineers consider when determing the optimal location for crossovers in racecar and supercar exhaust. The after market cat back companys use the most accessible location but each vehicle has its fingerprint.

Sorry for rambling but this is something that many dont even think about. For those looking to suck every ounce of power from there engine this is the way to do it.

bigike said:
I'M GONNA STAND ON MY HIND LEGS AND PROCLAIM THAT THE ONLY BENEFIT IS SOUND THERE WILL BE NO PERFORMANCE GAIN.

THE FIRING ORDER JUST DOESN'T ALLOW FOR IT...............
Then put in a 2 inch system with no crossover into one muffler. :D

What I want is a exhaust like the MBRP single kit, but with 5 or 6" exhaust after the muffer, not the 4" they sell.

Combine the 10 into one pipe.

Roz-SRT said:
I currently have two Dynomax mufflers. Right now, it's a true dual setup.

That's the way I went too !!! True Duals and Qud tips !!! -two of four cats and resonator !! :rock: :rock:

Up to the top you go . . . . :D Great "arguments" BTW! :rock:

Anyone else have any input? Jeff Boyette seems to have a sound argument. -No pun intended!!! However, I'm not certain I am searching for every last available pony. If anyone has been under the truck much, you'll know that it's decent distance til the pipes actually "meet". It's near the tail-shaft of the transmission. That's where I would consider placing a cross-over of some sort.

Anyone else got an argument/vote??

Any one have a measurement to where the H-pipe should go??
Im thinking the same as you there Roz-SRT around the tail shaft area where the pipes meet back up moreless??

Tomorrow is "D-Day". I'll let you guys know what I decide then! ;)

Thanks for the input and info. :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back