Head change, truck runs like sh*t

spdrcrj

Reaction score
Hopefully someone can chime in on this. Just did a head change to some street ported heads. Got done, truck idles great. But running, it diesels when I step on the gas, does not want to go faster than 35 mph (after 3 miles it did go up to 50mph), kicked a P0135 code, no throttle response, when I let off the gas the rpms hang for a second before coming down, it starts up slower and shuts down slower (it started immediately and shut down immediatly before), and the truck just runs badly. I looked and it appears as though all electrical connections and hoses are connected. Truck just wont run. I'm using Roe's 91 octane tune as per Sean's recommendations. Any insight would be appreciated. Also, I have this question pending in another thread but even cylinders on passenger side, odd on drivers side, correct?

TIA,
Jim

Last edited:
mm arent those the heads that were for sale here ,, that were stock ported heads ???

yes they are. Nobody wanted them and they didnt sell on ebay so i decided to put them on.

are all the plug wires on correct cyliders/coils?

2 are all the injector connectors tight and on correct injectors?

3 is there any vaccum leaks? go check all these..

Stanimal said:
are all the plug wires on correct cyliders/coils?

2 are all the injector connectors tight and on correct injectors?

3 is there any vaccum leaks? go check all these..

that's one of my questions. Even cylinders on the passengers side, odd on the drivers, correct?

P0135-O2 SENSOR 1/1 HEATER FAILURE - SRT10

Correct on cylinders.

Everything looks good. All injector connections are good, all spark plug wires are good, both of the above on the correct cylinders.

try using your stock pcm, maybe the flash has a bug? is it new with the heads???

also is there black smoke when you drive fro your exhaust? if so you are running too much fuel.

to me, from what you have said, sounds like fuel or timing, i would lean to timing if there is not black smoke while under load. in order for it to be too much fuel to make it run that bad it would have to be flooding.... if it IS, DO NOT RUN IT. it will "wash" the cylendars away

Last edited:
spdrcrj said:
Everything looks good. All injector connections are good, all spark plug wires are good, both of the above on the correct cylinders.

If the RPM's are not responding with the TB blade position, it's either the IAC or a bad vacuum leak IMHO.

Just switched to the stock tune and the truck runs better. Still like crap and doesnt have any throttle response but at least it runs now. I have to believe it's just that much out of tune with these heads.

to get rid of iac question, go plug it off where it enters the intake pipe, so it will not csuck air, and adjust the idle from the throttle body screw. did it on mine and loived the truck so much more after i did not bother replacing the IAC :D

flchub said:
if they are big ported heads u may need bigger injectors,dunno for sure

Posed that question to the site prior and was told no. Thank you for your response Chub and all others that are responding.

spdrcrj said:
Just switched to the stock tune and the truck runs better. Still like crap and doesnt have any throttle response but at least it runs now. I have to believe it's just that much out of tune with these heads.
at this point since the ecu changed it some i would say go get it looked at by a good tuner. he will know what to do better than any of us can say without seeing and feeling it

Stanimal said:
at this point since the ecu changed it some i would say go get it looked at by a good tuner. he will know what to do better than any of us can say without seeing and feeling it

Will do Stan. Holding to hear back from Sean if he has time this week to tune it. At least I can get to work now since going back to the stock tune.

did you the time the motor correctly? also did you set the valve lash correctly not to tight or loose? if you could check fuel pressure I would do that to start

time the engine????? thought it was ECM controlled
set valves???? Hydraulic roller lifters.

Last edited:
Did the swap according to the service manual and it said nothing about timing the motor so, short answer on that, no I didnt. Also was told that all I had to do was torque the rockers and there were no adjustments on that. I will get a fuel pressure gauge and check it tomorrow. Thank you.

you dont need to time the engine unless you pulled the cam. Are the wires on right.

I believe its a throttle body problem.

Spark plug wires? Yup, quadruple checked them. I thought maybe TB too so I checked the connections, all looks good.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back