Head Porting

BlackViperRam04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I dynoed my truck the other day I got to talking to a guy who does head work at that same shop. I asked him if he had ported any viper heads and he said he had. The guy whose heads he ported picked up almost 75hp from his port job without changing the cam or anything. He said he would do mine for $700. I have never paid to have heads ported before let alone 10 cylinders worth. Is this a reasonable price? Are those realistic gains?

$700 is dirt cheap for a port job, most will cost you $3000+++++

Porting is an art, one small cut the wrong way and things go in reverse.

also I think 75 hp is a tad high from a port job, but then again you dont know all the details either.

Dont know what advice to give ya, but heck for $700 sounds pretty good

Got to agree with Stinker, $700.00 is very cheap for a port job. 75HP is well within the realm of what can be achieved, but I would try to find out more in regard to what he does.

Does he have a flow bench or a dyno? If not, then I would discount his claims.

Silverback said:
Got to agree with Stinker, $700.00 is very cheap for a port job. 75HP is well within the realm of what can be achieved, but I would try to find out more in regard to what he does.

Does he have a flow bench or a dyno? If not, then I would discount his claims.

He has a flow bench and a dyno.

BlackViperRam04 said:
After I dynoed my truck the other day I got to talking to a guy who does head work at that same shop. I asked him if he had ported any viper heads and he said he had. The guy whose heads he ported picked up almost 75hp from his port job without changing the cam or anything. He said he would do mine for $700. I have never paid to have heads ported before let alone 10 cylinders worth. Is this a reasonable price? Are those realistic gains?

Talk to Exotic or DC Performance and compare the 75 h.p. claim to what is gained with Strikers.
Again, Strikers are a ground up new design for the Viper engines as the o.e.m. heads could only be taken so far with porting.
I wouldn't expect much for $700.00 as that works out to $35.00 per port.

If he is claiming 75 WHEEL, I would have to call him on that one...:(

Ron

BlackViperRam04 said:
He has a flow bench and a dyno.

more info please, I would have him do my GenII Viper:rock:

Even if I pick up 40rwhp it would be worth it:burnout:

700 is a very good price
How about the angle valve job? Does he do that too with the porting?

75Hp is attainable in theory.

He's full of BS. :bs:

I had my heads, intake runners, and throttle body ported and polished by Joe Donovan at PBJ (one of the best in the business). Also installed larger intake and exhaust valves and installed an aggressive cam and roller rockers at the same time.

Picked up about 60 rwhp TOTAL. No way you are picking up 75 rwhp unless you do a very extensive port job that would cost you 5 times what he quoted you. Even then, you would need a bigger cam to take advantage of the full port job. ;)

I,m skeptical about the H.P. claim and the price!!!:dontknow:
I know from past experience that the price of a decent (pocket port),let alone a full on port job would/should cost considerably more money!!!
(Only your engine builder knows for sure):D :D
On a side note:Rumer has it that Dodge should be releasing the new 08 viper heads that should retro fit onto our truck engines and be reasonably priced with substantial H.P. gains. I,ll know more when I return to work after the holidays.

1qksrt said:
On a side note:Rumer has it that Dodge should be releasing the new 08 viper heads that should retro fit onto our truck engines and be reasonably priced with substantial H.P. gains. I,ll know more when I return to work after the holidays.

The new 2008 heads aren't an exact fit but it can be done. Different intake and exhaust manifolds, valve covers are required; and a few other attachment items.
Great flow esp. around .400"; but don't expect them to be cheap...

Last edited:
Mickey, I can't wait to hear what your source has to say about the new heads. Hopefully the timing works out with my engine build.

Sorry ,but right now I can,t remember the estimated price was,but I do know it will not be that expensive!And I was told that they wiil be releasing a bolt on retro fit set(bolt on)Probably will require valve covers and ign setup though.Won,t know till about mid to late January....

08' Viper Engine
08_viper_engine.jpg

You will need some custom throttle bodies since the new engine is drive-by-wire. New intake manifold is also two piece with an upper and lower plenum.

As far as head porting...Getting HP out of a head all depends on how good the casting is your starting with. Spending more money does not equate to a better port job. I have known plenty of local shop guys that know how to get horsepower out of a head. That is how I learned to port was from a guy I used to work for at a little performance shop in west Michigan. He could squeeze some pretty good power numbers out of small block Ford engines. He would sometimes do some one-off engines for Roush back in the day.

There is a science to head porting, but it does not take a rocket scientist to do it. Any internal combustion engine is basically an air pump. They all work the same way whether it is a lawn mower or a top fuel dragster. The goal is to get air pumped in and out as efficiently as possible. The Viper engine is no different.

Since I am about the "teaching a man to fish" philosophy, read THIS article. It doesn't teach all the tricks, but it will give you a good understanding of the principles behind head porting.

-Muzzy

ViperTruck2933 said:
He's full of BS. :bs:

I had my heads, intake runners, and throttle body ported and polished by Joe Donovan at PBJ (one of the best in the business). Also installed larger intake and exhaust valves and installed an aggressive cam and roller rockers at the same time.

Picked up about 60 rwhp TOTAL. No way you are picking up 75 rwhp unless you do a very extensive port job that would cost you 5 times what he quoted you. Even then, you would need a bigger cam to take advantage of the full port job. ;)

tim what were the final numbers on your truck

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back