Header glow

spdrcrj

Reaction score
Anyone tell me if glowing hot headers are normal? I held the motor at 5k rpms for about 15-20 secs to listen for any ticking. I looked at the motor and the drivers side headers were glowing red. The passenger side were glowing red but not as much. Is this normal? I just installed a Roe tune via the SCT tuner and just installed my headers weekend before last.

I'd like to add, the truck is not kickin any codes.

thanks,
Jim

Last edited:
Could also be loose header bolts.

Isn't that what headers are for?? burning your wires and causin heat soak? :D .... on a serious note... I've never seen headers do that... cats yes... headers... no:dontknow:

hope you got heat shields :p

spdrcrj said:
Anyone tell me if glowing hot headers are normal? I held the motor at 5k rpms for about 15-20 secs to listen for any ticking. I looked at the motor and the drivers side headers were glowing red. The passenger side were glowing red but not as much. Is this normal? I just installed a Roe tune via the SCT tuner and just installed my headers weekend before last.

thanks,
Jim

Ignition or cam timing WAY retarded. (Most Likely)
Exhaust system plugged.

Last edited:
My driver's side Bassani headers turned a dull color and feel like sand paper..look like they got very hot and melted the coating..:dontknow: ....this happened after installing the Roe SC about a week after the headers and Magnaflows....I had problems with idle and rough running....took about 2 weeks to discover some low life (hmmm, muffler shop installed catless mids requiring removal of sensors..:mad: ) had broke a wire going to the driver side O2 sensor and sodered it back...soder was touching the metal around the sensor grounding it....

sounds pretty normal to me,,,,,5k for danm near half a minute is gona make some heat,,,headers are designed to disapate heat,,,,,,use header wrap if any wires are with in a few inches

Just got off the phone with Sean at Roe (who by the way took the time to talk to me a half hour before they opened). He said the glow was normal under no-load conditions (I was in neutral). To the dyno I go!!!!!!!!! Numbers to follow.

my headers on the vette can glow also nicely red ....:D when reving , no load.... don't worry , the vette still runs perfect years now... :rock: :rock:

exhaust 003.jpgexhaust 013.jpg

hey , that's Belgiumbarry doing some porting on them...:p :D :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :hmmmm: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

exhaust 001.jpg

spdrcrj said:

thanks,
Jim

Are you talking about a bright glow????:dontknow:

It was dark out so the glow was pretty bright. Spoke to Sean at Roe this morning and he said it's normal if the motor is under a "no-load" condition.

Texas Yellow Fever said:
I've always been told that glowing headers means a lean burn condition, but I don't know that for a fact...

i think heat ... 550 °C .. that's something ... :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Back