Header Problem

King

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, took my truck in because of a dang noise what sounded like an exhaust leak on the passenger side of the engine. Changed out my plugs along with a new header gasket. Well, upon removing the bolts the end bolt toward the back of the engine is stripped. The person that had the truck before me must of stripped it putting in the headers. The mechanic stated they got the bolt in as tight as it will go, but it will need to be fixed, either to take it to a machine shop or replace the cylinder head. Any ideas out there, or has anybody had the same problem and how did you fix it?

Yeah, that would be taking it to the machine shop, cant remember the term he used, but he said they would drill it out and put a metal sleave in. But dang alot of work to do that.

Thanks Larry, is it something that almost any one can do, and just go with a larger bolt?

FATJACK said:
You should be able to drill it and use a "Nutsert" to restore the threads.
Thanks Jack that was what I was trying to say.:rock:

King said:
Thanks Larry, is it something that almost any one can do, and just go with a larger bolt?
Yes its not that hard to do,as Fatjack was saying a nutsert is the best way to go.

Im just so mechanically dumb, thank you guys for helping me out

King said:
Im just so mechanically dumb, thank you guys for helping me out
No problem bro.just go to a good auto part store tell them what happened,they will be able to hook you up.:rock: :rock:

Just sucks that its the furthest one back, and the hardest one :argh:

King said:
Just sucks that its the furthest one back, and the hardest one :argh:
Yeah just take your time and it will be all right.You may have to take the wheel off and the inner fender liner out to give you easy access to the bolt.:rock:

04rcmoneypit said:
please do not drive that truck with a header leak. The heat can actually burn out the alum. sealing surface.
Got that right.:rock:

the leak isn't there now, like i said they got the bolt as tight as they could get it, you guys still think its bad to drive it, only other problem is it is my daily driver.

They really dont want to mess with a viper engine, changing the gasket and plugs are the easy part, aluminum, different story.

Oh, asnd plus they said it would have to be taken apart to take to the machine shop.

If it were mine I would pull the head and take it to a competant machine shop. An easy repair for them, and a piece of mind for you. Good luck

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back