Heading to Detroit tomorrow to pick up my truck

Nice. I still think you should have come to FL :D

Don't blame you on wanting to trailer it back with just 1900 miles on it.

Congrats on finding the one for you! Can't wait to see it make its transformation.

What are the plans as far as getting it reliable considering it say so long? Good find and in the best color.

What are the plans as far as getting it reliable considering it say so long? Good find and in the best color.

I wanted low miles first and foremost for aesthetics (no paint work, perfect leather, etc.). As for everything else mechanical, I assume reliability, but expect nothing. I may have to go through and replace every seal on the truck, but I'm ok with that.

The truck was dirty just from sitting. I kind of compare the former owner to Linus from Charlie Brown--great guy, but just doesn't place the same emphasis on aesthetics that I would. He actually made the comment that the truck for him was "perfume for a pig". When I sold my black truck to the guy from NY, his eyes about popped out of his head when I opened the garage door. My reaction wasn't quite that way with this truck. My biggest disappointment was that the undercarriage wasn't clean. I wanted "showroom" clean, but that is not what I got. On the phone the guy said the truck was a "10", I give it an 8. But I wasn't going to let the lack of "curb appeal" overshadow the quality of the paint, interior and low miles. My painter actually went with me and could see a slight disappointment in my reaction (he is my best friend who knows me as well as my wife), and reassured me that the truck was a cream puff (the interior stills smells new), and that he was buying it if I didn't. This is the guy that owns the shop that paints all of Rick Hendricks personal cars. So ultimately, we brought it home.

So he went ahead and took the truck back to his shop to have four things done.
1. Wet sand and buff to minimize the factory orange peel, and create the surface that I like
2. Have 2 small dents PDR'd
3. Clear bra put on the front clip.
4. Have the entire truck (body, undercarriage, engine bay) fully detailed.

Then, when the truck comes back to me:
1. I will fully detail the truck--that's the only way to really get to "know" the truck in my opinion.
2. Swap out wheels and tires
3. Replace all the lights
4. Take it to Tony and have him replace all fluids, and fluid lines
5. Lower it
6. Replace the TB and the other metal parts that have tarnished in the engine bay, along with some powder coating
7. Replace the shifter and add a BedRug
8. Replace the entire exhaust with B&B.
9. THEN, bring the truck home, continue to detail, and enjoy and drive the truck for a while to see what will need replacing.
10. Then, tear the motor down in the Fall, once I catch my breath

I am happy with what I found and thank AJ (Pirana131313) for posting the ad. I just wish it were in my garage now, so I could start working on it. However, I will be in Nashville this week, so when I return, I will have an absolutely clean truck.....the "wow" factor I was initially hoping for when I first saw it.

Never really knew how good red looked.

Last edited:
Do you plan on getting a bed cover for it?

I am thinking about the bedrug just haven't made the decision yet.

It sounds like overall you got what you wanted. If you got one from someone who had their own personal showroom collection, that kept all their cars in heated/cooled space, they would of charged you an arm and a leg.

Do you plan on getting a bed cover for it?

I am thinking about the bedrug just haven't made the decision yet.

It sounds like overall you got what you wanted. If you got one from someone who had their own personal showroom collection, that kept all their cars in heated/cooled space, they would of charged you an arm and a leg.

No, I'm not going to do a cover this time. I like the way the wing sits on the bed, so I am just going to do the BedRug. Sanchoba did it that way and I liked the look.

Sanchoba did a lot of things the right way. He actually made me like red. Can't wait to see his new viper.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back