Headlight Removal help!

trw0042

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this may sound like a dumb question for such an easy thing but i was changing a bulb out and so i took out the 2 screws on the left side and then removed the deep screw under the headlight above the fender. Now this is all the screws i can see holding it in. ( i also removed the plastic screw holding in the rubber next to light) So after getting the screws out i was under the impression it would just kinda pop out. But there is something holding it in there still. So as i look up from the wheel well into the housing i can see there is a rectangular piece holding it in. But this is not in the directions at all. Is this piece just supposed to snap out when pulling on the housing? I was pulling and didnt want to break anything so i stopped. Dont tell me i have to go up threw my wheel well to unsnap this just to change a dang bulb lol. This is on a 2005 reg cab.

Thanks for any help or directions on getting my housing out so i can change a bulb.

hope this helps!! from the service manual

Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
Disengage the three plastic retainers (3) that secure the rubber welt (2) on the inboard side of the front lamp unit (5) to the fender ledge.
Remove the three screws (4) that secure the front lamp unit to the fender.
Pull the lamp away from the fender far enough to access the wire harness connections (1) on the back of the lamp housing.

Disconnect the headlamp wire harness connector (4) from the headlamp bulb socket (5).
Disconnect the park and turn signal lamp wire harness connector (3) from the park and turn signal bulb socket (2).
Remove the front lamp unit from the fender.

Its kinda a pain....it is a square piece that snaps to the headlight housing. You need to squeeze it together and push it towards the front of the truck. Similar to squeezing clothes-pin ends together....then push it towars the front, and it will pop the headlight housing out..

-Red

Or pull hard (jerk hard, so to speak). It will be easier after the removal a couple of times.

Yeah what they said. That plastic square retainer is tough to unsnap the first time. After removing screws place a old towel between the headlight and the bumper cover to give some protection. then with a quick forward jerk the housing should unsnap. You shouldn't need to squeeze or mess with the plastic retainer

Ok

I will try everyones tips out. Thanks much i will let you know how it turns out

GET A TOWEL AND SLIDE IT BETWEEN THE HOUSING AND BUMPER COVER WILL HELP NOT TO SCRATCH WHEN PULLING OUT THE LIGHT ALSO WHEN YOU GO BACK TO TIGHTEN UP THE DEEP SCREW

silverqc said:
GET A TOWEL AND SLIDE IT BETWEEN THE HOUSING AND BUMPER COVER WILL HELP NOT TO SCRATCH WHEN PULLING OUT THE LIGHT ALSO WHEN YOU GO BACK TO TIGHTEN UP THE DEEP SCREW

Very good point! I scratched my bumper cover when doing this.:(

Well i want to thank everyone for the tips, the towel trick workend with enough force it came out. I actually found that if you reach around long enough down threw the engine to the headlight housing you can squeeze that clip that keeps it in.

Thanks everyone, and the fogs were real easy to switch out.

Thanks

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back