Heavy Racing Last Night

Sinus19, what counts is are you having fun? If you are it doesn't matter. Every run you are learning more about your 10. Just keep having a good time, man.

Thanks Budd! I do have a blast! meating and racing new guys on the weekends is pretty awsome

Keep practicing your launches, traction is one of the best mods.

Delete the cats, tune and try a gear.

Belangers and a throttle body will really wake up the truck.

I usually tried to launch mine at 2500ish RPM. You'll have to be smart with the throttle and the clutch to make it work. Here's and example:

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PVWFD2YdZNw[/ame]

My RC had headers, exhaust, CAI, and sometimes tuning. I walked multiple SS Camaro's, a modded SRT8 Chally (6.1 car), and an SRT8 Jeep. I dId have mixed results with the 5.0's. Street racing is fun because it allows the slower vehicle a greater opportunity to win. Your truck should be ourunning most of the cars you mentioned from the time it hooks up in first, through second, and into third. Most of them will pull away from you in 4th. What year is your truck? Can you grab a gauge video of you launching it and video from the outside?

I usually tried to launch mine at 2500ish RPM. You'll have to be smart with the throttle and the clutch to make it work. Here's and example:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PVWFD2YdZNw

My RC had headers, exhaust, CAI, and sometimes tuning. I walked multiple SS Camaro's, a modded SRT8 Chally (6.1 car), and an SRT8 Jeep. I dId have mixed results with the 5.0's. Street racing is fun because it allows the slower vehicle a greater opportunity to win. Your truck should be ourunning most of the cars you mentioned from the time it hooks up in first, through second, and into third. Most of them will pull away from you in 4th. What year is your truck? Can you grab a gauge video of you launching it and video from the outside?

Very interesting.. thank you for the video! I will practice on launches. Next time im out i will record my Gauges for sure! Its an 04

Last edited:
Very interesting.. thank you for the video! I will practice on launches. Next time im out i will record my Gauges for sure! Its an 04

If you are still running 4:10's then get yourself some 28" M&H's and you will launch a Hell of a lot better!!!

Last edited:
I'm not sure what this has to do with it either, Andy? The guys the OP is racing shouldn't be walking him as he described. Do you disagree?

All of the cars he is racing is a driver's race IMO. The only thing that will rectify him losing is seat time.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PVWFD2YdZNw

All of the cars he is racing is a driver's race IMO. The only thing that will rectify him losing is seat time.

Well im pretty sure my launches need to be improved but things is that most of the time either we leave the line dead even or i get half car length jump and they still pass me halfways through. I will make sure i record some more races.

I know the 5.0 and Camaro wornt stock (tune, full exhaust and MAYBE a mild cam, they didnt really want to say all of their mods)

If you are still running 4:10's then get yourself some 28" M&H's and you will launch a Hell of a lot better!!!

Yea as i had mentioned, i have a hard time dialing in my launch/traction. I can only do so many mods at a time ha. Right now a clutch is priority. Im starting to smell clutch here and there and my shifts are starting grind a bit when i slam then in. I do have that 6 puck laying around, ill take a pic later today and show you guys.

I had a Gen1 and that was nice the II's were the shit!!!!!!!!!!!!

Change the 4.10's for some 4.56's, get some 17x10 wheels and some M&H 390-40-17 drag radials. Use 17 lbs air pressure, leave at 3400 rpm and shift like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxeMhlfiTPg&feature=player_embedded

Watch the tach closely, it only drops about 1000 rpm between shifts, from 6000 down to 5000 each shift. Have fun!

Last edited:
Change the 4.10's for some 4.56's, get some 17x10 wheels and some M&H 390-40-17 drag radials. Use 17 lbs air pressure, leave at 3400 rpm and shift like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxeMhlfiTPg&feature=player_embedded

Watch the tach closely, it only drops about 1000 rpm between shifts, from 6000 down to 5000 each shift. Have fun!

Jerry, do you leave you foot completely pinned to the floor while shifting or is there a slight gap between the floorboard and the accelerator pedal?

The only reason I bring this up is because the tach barely passes over 6000 rpm and it appears to never touch the limiter. Just wondering if you were truly flat foot shifting or just barely reducing engine speed to engage the next gear smoother, then getting right back in it.

Jerry, do you leave you foot completely pinned to the floor while shifting or is there a slight gap between the floorboard and the accelerator pedal?

The only reason I bring this up is because the tach barely passes over 6000 rpm and it appears to never touch the limiter. Just wondering if you were truly flat foot shifting or just barely reducing engine speed to engage the next gear smoother, then getting right back in it.

Full on the floor. My rev limiter is set at 6200. The right foot never lifts once I leave the line. Years of practice. Been doing this since I learned to power shift in the mid 60's ( I was a senior in high school in 1964).

Here's another video from 2006 when the truck was still full weight, just a tune, headers and Volant ram air. You can see the tach better.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...www.thefoat.com/?sg=v.video&video_id=1968

Last edited:
thanks for the hints Trainman! Sounds like power shifting is gonna be next on the "Driver Mod" list.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back