Hellboy dyno update

Wow that sucks! Hope everything works out. Keep us posted, and post some picks after you get the stuff for coating.

Ram From Hell said:
Not a bad day, since nothing broke. I'll say that much.:eek:

Didn't make nearly as much power as anticipated, but we're looking at either belt slippage or we're running out of supercharger. Boost came up to 6 PSI by 4000 RPM, then gradually sloped off to 3 PSI by 6000 RPM. With no other signs (or sounds) of the belt slipping, plus the boost dropping in nearly perfect proportion to RPM seems to point to the compressor not keeping up with the engine. Still, the tension on the belt isn't particularly good, so I have to consider that slippage may still be at least playing a part.

So, HP peaked around 4000 RPM at around 635.

I'm going to pull the front off of the truck and work out the placement of an additional pulley that I can put additional tension on the belt with, then try it again. If that doesn't do the trick...

...it's going to be turbo time.:D

I doubt you are running out of blower...This paxtons are rated at 1400 CFM and they don't loose efficiency up to 17 PSI.

I think you belt is slipping our you have a leak..

jrgnd said:
I doubt you are running out of blower...This paxtons are rated at 1400 CFM and they don't loose efficiency up to 17 PSI.

I think you belt is slipping our you have a leak..

I've already discovered that I had serious belt slippage. After tearing everything down I found a significant amount of belt dust around the crank pulley area. I'd also recently had an overflow from my catch can, and although I thoroughly cleaned up I'm sure there was enough residue on everything to contribute to it even more.

I'll have everything back together soon, with a little more belt tension, new belt, and better prep. I'm sure it will do much better this next time around.

soak that belt in VHT! kinda ghetto but if it makes you smile when you roll it off the dyno then it's all good lol

I knew that belt had to be slipping. When its all fixed you'll be right around 900 rwhp, and then you'll have the gas to play with.:D

Ram From Hell said:
Just finished tearing down and cleaning everything up this weekend. It was a genuinely catastrophic mess. I also stripped all of the lines and fittings off of everything. All the shiny stuff's getting coated. I'm done with polishing, and I want a daily driver that I don't have to sweat the cleanup.

I have a plan for fabricating an assembly that will attach to the belt tensioner that will allow for an adjustable amount of increased tension. We'll see how that pans out.

The parts will be back from coating in a couple weeks. Should be back up and running Oct 1 (about the three year anniversary of breaking the first engine).

Have you gotten the parts back yet? Anxiously awaiting the new dyno numbers without belt slip!:D :D

tinygiants said:
Congrats on the dyno success.

...One thought, instead of adding a pulley, maybe you can upsize one? On my ROE set up we have a small idler pulley. That pulley gets increased in size when we drop the SC pulley size.

This is a ten minute job. Sean did it for me.

Prof said:
This is a ten minute job. Sean did it for me.

Really Roy, we have no interest in your homosexual exploits.:p

I presume you're talking about a pulley swap, not a hand job.:dontknow:

The work I undertook is a bit more intensive. About all that was left in the engine bay was the long block. Everything else was removed and cleaned &/or powder coated. I also fabricated a widget to keep more tension on the belt, and I'm in the process of installing an intercooler water chiller that ties into the AC system.

Also been busy selling off other vehicles, and buying new ones for the wife ('08 Vette convertible) and youngest son ('86 BMW 635Csi), both of which have been taking up some time fixing or lightly modding.:D

Ram From Hell said:
Really Roy, we have no interest in your homosexual exploits.:p

The work I undertook is a bit more intensive. About all that was left in the engine bay was the long block. Everything else was removed and cleaned &/or powder coated. I also fabricated a widget to keep more tension on the belt, and I'm in the process of installing an intercooler water chiller that ties into the AC system.

I am also interested but will need pics!

And if I could get a hand job, regardless the source...I would be eternally grateful.

The A/C intercooler idea is a "cool" idea. I have read that the A/C system in a car is equivalent to a 30 ton home unit (most homes have 5 ton units). I was going to build one that used the ambient temperature to turn the compressor on whenever a temp threshold is reached. There are also automated valves that will redirect all of the refrigerant to the reservoir-intercooler when you don't need A/C in the cab. Water could be redirected as well keeping it out of the hot ambient air that the radiator sees.

I look forward to seeing your solution if you are willing to share your secrets.

Hey Eric keep us posted on how that unit works out, I really think it's going to work well.

Just so you guys know this unit will only work for a water to air intercooler set up. Like the ones that the Paxtons use which lower liquid temps to 50-55 degrees.

Last edited:
pokeytemplar said:
The A/C intercooler idea is a "cool" idea. I have read that the A/C system in a car is equivalent to a 30 ton home unit (most homes have 5 ton units). I was going to build one that used the ambient temperature to turn the compressor on whenever a temp threshold is reached. There are also automated valves that will redirect all of the refrigerant to the reservoir-intercooler when you don't need A/C in the cab. Water could be redirected as well keeping it out of the hot ambient air that the radiator sees.

I look forward to seeing your solution if you are willing to share your secrets.

No problem sharing. That's what we do here.:rock:

I already know that these work very well on other high HP applications (SVT's, etc.). When talking to the guy that sells the kits for the blue oval crowd, we discussed different methods for tying in. Based on the lower ambient temps up here in the PNW, it was fine running the intercooler and condenser in series. Running things in parallel with restrictor valves is more common.

Interesting idea about automated refrigerant and water line controls. I suppose one could make it a fairly complex system (like mine isn't already?:p ). I could certainly consider adding some manual valves to set the truck to "track mode" pretty easily.

BIG NANA said:
Hey Eric, hope all is well with you. How is the HP search going?

Not bad, brother!:rock:

Too bad I didn't get to the track. The cage & seat have been in the truck since July.:( I'm 6'6", and barely see over the dash with that setup!:D

Just keep at it whenever I can.;)

Yep, it took some getting use too, but at least you know you won't smack your noggin in a flip!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back