Helmet question

I don't understand why a Snell certified motorcycle helmet wouldn't be allowed. :confused: I'd think it would be overkill for track use. You fall off a motorcycle, it's just you and the pavement. On the track, you have airbags and truck wrapped around you.:dontknow:

DevilDawg3097 said:
You don't need that if your runnin 14 sec and do gimme that safety crap either because you would wear whenever you drive.;) :p :slug:

AT MOPAR Nationals, no matter what times you ran, without it you did not drive.

SilvrSRT10 said:
I don't understand why a Snell certified motorcycle helmet wouldn't be allowed. :confused: I'd think it would be overkill for track use. You fall off a motorcycle, it's just you and the pavement. On the track, you have airbags and truck wrapped around you.:dontknow:

Sounds strange, but one of the issues is the weight of the helmet...motorcycle helmets are lighter and just not as much protection...sounds counter intuitive doesn't it...but it is something about the head flopping around ...

SilvrSRT10 said:
I looked up the ratings and the two things that jumped out at me was the sa2005 (special apps.) helmet had a flame resistance test and a few degrees less of viewing area than the M2005.

Really not to worried about it because i damn sure am not running tens:mad:

I guess i could put a three hundred shot of nos on it:dontknow: Then i would need a big dog helmet.

Prof said:
Sounds strange, but one of the issues is the weight of the helmet...motorcycle helmets are lighter and just not as much protection...sounds counter intuitive doesn't it...but it is something about the head flopping around ...

Guess i will read it again when i not sleepy:marchmellow:

Last edited:
Ironhead said:
ok i have a helmet that has a m2000 on it ,,good or no good
SilvrSRT10 said:

it truely depends on your tracks requirements........ go to the webpage for your track for email or phone numbers..... i'm betting it will pass & you can avoid an unnecessary cost that some are willing to incur.....

if your track says yes & you don't wish to spend 3 & 4 times+ as much, then you're good to go !!!!:D

OSO said:
I looked up the ratings and the two things that jumped out at me was the sa2005 (special apps.) helmet had a flame resistance test and a few degrees less of viewing area than the M2005.
you've got bigger issues to worry about if flame resistance is your big advantage with an sa2005 helmet..... maybe in a dragster, but certainly not in a weekend drag race with your production pickup......;)

Attachments

• IMG_3310.JPG
    IMG_3310.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3396.JPG
    IMG_3396.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3484.JPG
    IMG_3484.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3485.JPG
    IMG_3485.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
moparracing said:
you've got bigger issues to worry about if flame resistance is your big advantage with an sa2005 helmet..... maybe in a dragster, but certainly not in a weekend drag race with your production pickup......;)
Agreed, besides if its a bad enough crash to go beyond the impact rating of a m2005 helmet inside the vehicle it might just be time to go.:goodnight::saint:J/K.

Prof said:

This is indeed a strange situation. I mean, the head flopping around within a vehicle is bounced upon surfaces padded with vinyl, leather and foam. On a motorcycle, in the event of a crash the unfortunate's melon is bounced upon artificial and natural terrain.... pavement, concrete, silicates, trees..... :stupido2:an old lady’s flower garden.... Taking this fact into consideration I would think motorcycle helmets were manufactured according to higher standards.

As I recall the weight issue related to neck injury...when someone comes off a bike a lighter helmet is preferable to a heavier one to avoid serious neck injuries.

Big Worm said:
OKAY SO BASICALLY I NEED ONE FOR WHEN I GO TO MACON.

Yes you will need a helmet. They are not anal about the brand/rating or roll bars but you do have to have one on.

One thing that really needs to be mentioned is the FITMENT of said brain buckets.

Assuming everyone purchases the correct helmet for the track rules, the best helmet in the world, if it is too large (and therefore actually comfortable) will be WORSE than no helmet at all.

MAKE SURE the helmet fits snug everywhere, actually to the point of being uncomfortable if worn for more than a few minutes. I have seen several injuries that could have been prevented by just having a properly fit helmet and a neck collar.

Driving equipment is something NO ONE should ever cut costs on! It amazes me that people will spend $400 on some pretty, cool looking piece for their machine, but not the same 400 to keep them out of a wheelchair for the rest of their lives.:(

sorry for the soap box rant, but I have seen people get hurt (particularly in 13.99 to 9.99 cars) too often. NHRA does have strict rules along these lines, but I personally know at least 9 people that are still walking around and racing because of them.

Rant over, carry on.;)

pro517 said:
One thing that really needs to be mentioned is the FITMENT of said brain buckets.

Assuming everyone purchases the correct helmet for the track rules, the best helmet in the world, if it is too large (and therefore actually comfortable) will be WORSE than no helmet at all.

MAKE SURE the helmet fits snug everywhere, actually to the point of being uncomfortable if worn for more than a few minutes. I have seen several injuries that could have been prevented by just having a properly fit helmet and a neck collar.

Driving equipment is something NO ONE should ever cut costs on! It amazes me that people will spend $400 on some pretty, cool looking piece for their machine, but not the same 400 to keep them out of a wheelchair for the rest of their lives.:(

sorry for the soap box rant, but I have seen people get hurt (particularly in 13.99 to 9.99 cars) too often. NHRA does have strict rules along these lines, but I personally know at least 9 people that are still walking around and racing because of them.

Rant over, carry on.;)

I have seen some of the old open face motorcycle helmets that are allowed to run , so i feel pretty good about my purchase. I do agree its pretty silly after the thousands of dollars i have spent on motor i start cutting cost when it comes to safety. :dontknow:

Well the helmet just arrived fits nice and tight. Also gives the impression the truck is really fast when its sitting on the hood. Now i just have to put the Hemi badges on it.:D

go to racewaypark.com I race there and the helmits are decent priced.
go to the online store

OSO said:
Well the helmet just arrived fits nice and tight. Also gives the impression the truck is really fast when its sitting on the hood. Now i just have to put the Hemi badges on it.:D

Please:D :D :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back