Help..! Backup Camera Project:

Looks good, Tim!

A couple of questions:
1. Does the monitor only come on when you shift into Reverse? Can you manually turn it on/off?

2. Does the monitor ever come close to the shift lever? Approx. how much distance is there between shift lever and monitor edge?

3. Are there version with higher quality cameras? Are you able to swap out the cheap one for a better camera?

4. Can you do a side shot of the monitor deployed? I'm also curious to see it stashed. I'm also interested in the bracket 'travel' and how it was attached to your "Ejection Port" (that's what I call that little cubby hole).

There are TONS of kids in this neighborhood and with the trees lining our driveway, it makes for some anxious moments every time I back out. For under $200, this might be an option.

Plus, I need something to frame my license plate. LOL

Kevan said:
Looks good, Tim!

A couple of questions:
1. Does the monitor only come on when you shift into Reverse? Can you manually turn it on/off?

2. Does the monitor ever come close to the shift lever? Approx. how much distance is there between shift lever and monitor edge?

3. Are there version with higher quality cameras? Are you able to swap out the cheap one for a better camera?

4. Can you do a side shot of the monitor deployed? I'm also curious to see it stashed. I'm also interested in the bracket 'travel' and how it was attached to your "Ejection Port" (that's what I call that little cubby hole).

There are TONS of kids in this neighborhood and with the trees lining our driveway, it makes for some anxious moments every time I back out. For under $200, this might be an option.

Plus, I need something to frame my license plate. LOL

Hey Kev,

The monitor wires up to the reverse lamps.... Only comes on when in R.... Then goes off... Can also be turned off and on manually.

Pleanty of room to shift without even touching the screen.... I have good sized hands for a guy my size.... I never even come close to it... at least 6 inches away. But I'm getting my GenX shifter installed Saturday... The shifter knob will be (even) a bit lower.

Yes, I could get a better camera, but I couldn't find one that doesn't neccesitate cutting a hole in my bumper.... The camera actually looks fine in person. It has color, contrast and brightness adjustments.. The screen resolution just didn't photograph well.

The monitor is bracket is a fixed one...... It stays where it is..... Fixed (mounted) to the roof of the "ejection port" as you say... There's a fiberglass sheet that's screwed to the roof of the cubby hole and it's bent into an angle to optimize the driver's view and aesthetic sense...

The camera bracket needed to be modified a bit to provide access for my registration stickers.... See pic...

There is another one of these on Ebay...... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Back...018QQitemZ280146008589QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

If you're unsuccessful with this particular auction, contact the seller. I'm sure he has more for a "buy it now" of about $155.

D

Last edited:
Django said:
I did look at the visor cameras too. Most of them want you to replace your existing visor with some cheapass plastic POS. Couldn't do it....

I also shyed away from the clip over yer mirror variety.... Dunno why... Was probably hinky about the big bloody mirror for the Geritol set....

The install was very fkn clean..... The screen in particular.

I like this one just fine..... The color shifts a bit depending on the light conditions. Probably a function of glare and the lack of a high end camera. But it works great.....It has a nice, wide range of clear...Unless some little tyke is actually under the truck I can see them.

Piks as promised........ The screen looks like it's not centered.... Just the camera angle..... It's dead nuts....

BTW, there's at least 6 inches of clearance between the shifter knob and screen... Even in reverse gear...

D

Is you tag outdated???? :dontknow:

Looks nice, glad you like it :rock:

Thanks for the info, Tim.

I'd be pretty slick if the monitor was on a sliding bracket (like a kitchen drawer), so it could stash up into the 'cubby hole'. It'd keep thieves wondering. :)
It'd be even slicker if it was motorized...and automatically dropped down when you went into Reverse.....then went back into it's hiding hole when you came out of Reverse. :D

Give us a 30 day update. I may pick one up then.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back