HeLP PleaSE!!

chrisguidry04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having an issue with my truck and im not too sure what the problem is.
From the top...yesterday i was taking my truck to town and when i hit a long stretch of road...i decided to put it to the floor...right before my truck was about to shift around 120, it made a loud bogging sound. I slowed down to normal driving speeds and eventually when i had to stop for a red light, i could barely take off. My truck is running very rich and i could barely give it any gas...the highest i could get was about 30mph on a 7 mile trip and burned about a 1/8th of a tank. was thinking maybe bad gas because my fill up earlier that day set off my bank2 sensor1 o2 sensor. I was almost empty when this happened so i this morning i went to town and got some fresh gas to pour in the truck, It ran better but still cant open it up and running rich. I went to the local parts house and got a bosh o2 sensor to replace it...while popping the hood I noticed a faint smoke steadily coming through my intake like a pcv valve stuck open...thought this was kind of weird so i found it was coming from that pcv valve looking thing on the passenger side valve cover. I plan on putting the o2 sensor on 1st thing in the morning...but I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem similar to this. Any help is appreciated.

Haven't had this with my SRT but many moons ago I did a top end run in my 71 Roadrunner and it did something really similar. the bad news was it developed a head gasket leak. Hope that's not the case with your truck...I'm sure some of the motorheads can point you in the right direction. Best wishes, sorry about your problem.

2nd thought.....how close to empty was your tank when you did the run? Was there a possibility of sucking up garbage and plugging your fuel filter?

it dont sound good bud, I would have a leak down test done asap, there is too many variables there to make a good diagnosis:eek:

It was about 1/4, if i cant get it fixed by monday im bringing it to the dealer for a diagnosis...if its too bad...its prob going straight to a performance shop.

I called the dealership this morning and told him my prob...the service advisor seems to think the o2 sensor should hopefully fix the problem. He told me to go ahead and change it and give him a call on the update.

What jackass engineer put the plugin for bank2 sensor1 on top of the damn transmission...what an idiot

We'll be sure to let us know here! Make sure you're paying attention to everything your truck is doing. Anything that feels or sound funny, and if you notice something remember what you were doing(for ex. accel, decel, idle, wot only, etc.....

Well I brought the truck to the dealer because I couldn't reach the plug-in for the o2 sensor so they are going to change it then put it on the computer and see what they can find.

Did it pop any codes?

Reset the computer?

Sounds like a sensor is confused - MAP maybe (as stated above)?

How does it idle? Know anyone with an infrared gun that can tag all cylinders on the headers to see if there's a drastic difference?

We needz mo'info! Would really be a bummer if it's something "simple" that they charge ya mega $$ to plug something back up. :confused:

I cant see a o2 making a pop and than what worries me is the smoke out of the breather... like alot of blow by. If something happened on bank 2 side ( driver i think) it could be dumping fuel in to the exhaust .

hcetzneb said:
I cant see a o2 making a pop and than what worries me is the smoke out of the breather... like alot of blow by. If something happened on bank 2 side ( driver i think) it could be dumping fuel in to the exhaust .
yup:)

I've had light light light smoke coming through my passenger side valve breather But nothing that worried me or affected the truck. I was told there is no fuel filters on our trucks, so u coulda sucked some nasty crap into ur engine.

kickinassrt-10 said:
I've had light light light smoke coming through my passenger side valve breather But nothing that worried me or affected the truck. I was told there is no fuel filters on our trucks, so u coulda sucked some nasty crap into ur engine.

Yes we do, straight from the service manual

FUEL FILTER/PRESSURE REGULATOR
DESCRIPTION
A combination fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator (3)
is used on all engines. It is located on the top of the
fuel pump module. A separate frame mounted fuel filter
is not used with any engine.
Both fuel filters (at bottom of fuel pump module and
within fuel pressure regulator)
are designed for
extended service. They do not require normal scheduled
maintenance. Filters should only be replaced if a
diagnostic procedure indicates to do so.

OPERATION
Fuel Pressure Regulator Operation: The pressure regulator is a mechanical device that is not controlled by
engine vacuum or the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
The regulator is calibrated to maintain fuel system operating pressure of approximately 58 ± 2 psi at the fuel injectors.
It contains a diaphragm, calibrated springs and a fuel return valve. The internal fuel filter is also part of the
assembly.
Fuel is supplied to the filter/regulator by the electric fuel pump through an opening tube at the bottom of filter/regulator.
The regulator acts as a check valve to maintain some fuel pressure when the engine is not operating. This will help
to start the engine. A second check valve is located at the outlet end of the electric fuel pump. Refer to Fuel Pump
- Description and Operation for more information.
If fuel pressure at the pressure regulator exceeds approximately 60 psi, an internal diaphragm opens and excess
fuel pressure is routed back into the tank through the bottom of pressure regulator.
Both fuel filters (at bottom of fuel pump module and within fuel pressure regulator) are designed for extended service.
They do not require normal scheduled maintenance. Filters should only be replaced if a diagnostic procedure indicates to do so.

kickinassrt-10 said:

no tradisional filter i think its built into the pump just a wire screen if im thinking right

Well I talked to them today and they said that the smoke is most likely from blow by from the piston rings...but to know for sure they would have to take it apart....he recommended me bringing it to the local machine shop because they have done a viper motor before and he would need to check the specs so i can way my options.

if anyone is interested the price on a short block is 11k!!!

Bet you will find that the ring lands are gone on a piston or two.

Plan your rebuild...and enjoy the process, no use crying over spilled milk.

Lots of us have been down this road.

chrisguidry04 said:
Well I talked to them today and they said that the smoke is most likely from blow by from the piston rings...but to know for sure they would have to take it apart....he recommended me bringing it to the local machine shop because they have done a viper motor before and he would need to check the specs so i can way my options.

if anyone is interested the price on a short block is 11k!!!
Dude whoever tried to sell you a block for 11k go back and kick him in the dingleberries. :mad: :help: :reddy: This place is the shit:http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/viper.html under 6k

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back