HELP Truck won't start

WILDMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has been sitting about 2 weeks now. I got in and tried to start it but it won't hit at all. I tried my stock ECU with no change. Check engine light comes on when I turn the key on, but when I hit the start button and let off it goes out. Anyone have any clue what might be wrong.

Wade

Wade, give me the code that is causing your CEL...

Turn the ignition key on and off three times. On the third turn leave the key in the on position...a code will show where your odometer usually shows...if there is more than one code be prepared to write them down, but it is usually only one.

Roy

PS

Sending cell phone by pm...

Disconnect the negative cable to the battery...leave it disconnected for about 20 minutes. Reconnect it...the pcm will have rebooted...and reverted to default settings. See if that helps...

It is fire or fuel...one or the other is not present.

Standing by...you have my cell phone via pm.

Wildman

Well I left the battery cable off for 30 min. Hooked it back up and it still just cranks over and over. Checked all the fuses and pulled out the relays and pushed them back in. Still won't start.........

Wade

That's what I was thinking. Have someone turn the key on while you listen to the tank and see if the pump comes on.

CHECK ALL ENGINE GROUNDS!!!

Including the one from the fusebox to the t-stat housing, and the one behind the battery tray.

Ask ANYONE who was at the SE GTG how long we chased a loose ground. :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Wildman

I have swapped ECU's, relays, fuses, checked all grounds that I could find, unhooked battery cable for 30 minutes, held throttle to floor while cranking, checked every connection I can get to, and still won't start. It has 3/4 tank of gas, It shows no code, and only has 8645 miles. I guess I will have to have a roll back take it to the dealer tomorrow. Out of warranty of course.

If anyone can think of anything else please let me know.

Wade

Its usually a simple step (fuese, loose connector, etc... BUT)

Crank Sensor - Usually throws a code though.

If not, either fuel or ignition. Go to your fuel rail (if you don't have a fuel pressure gauge), press the schrader valve nipple down with a small towel over it, while someone crank's it over for a few seconds. It should soak the towel pretty well. If not, fuel issue. (check fuel pump fuse, then fuel pump wiring harness for proper ground and power)

Next, check for spark..this one a kinda tricky without proper test equipment unless your ready for a shock lol. You can use the screwdriver method, or get a spark tester from Sears or Harbor Junk.

-Red

WILDMAN

I took the cap off the fuel rail and had a friend crank the engine. I didn't get any fuel at all out other than a couple of drops when I first pushed in the core. I crawled under the truck and listened to the fuel pump and it would make a slight thump sound one time as the key was turned on, but no normal clicking like most fuel pumps do. I am assuming that it is the fuel pump.

Wade

WILDMAN said:
I took the cap off the fuel rail and had a friend crank the engine. I didn't get any fuel at all out other than a couple of drops when I first pushed in the core. I crawled under the truck and listened to the fuel pump and it would make a slight thump sound one time as the key was turned on, but no normal clicking like most fuel pumps do. I am assuming that it is the fuel pump.

Wade

Sounds like it....

Go to the fuel pump, you will see a wiring harness....get a test light and check for voltage, if you have no voltage, check wiring / harness, and fuses.

Check the wiring harness. A rodent my have caused some damage while your truck sat for two weeks. Just a guess.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back