Hesitation and Leak Detection Pump

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OrlandoGT, Jun 11, 2021 at 3:25 PM.

Car Parts
  1. OrlandoGT

OrlandoGT New Member

Good Afternoon, I bought my 2006 RC in December 2018 from Andy (VPR PWRD), and it has been my daily driver, except for when it was at Powerhouse for a built engine, and other mods.

Two weeks ago it started hesitating every time I start it up, and then it ran fine after a few minutes...even if I shut down and started back up right away. The hesitation was dangerous and was worse when I filled up until the few minutes passed.

I replaced the Leak Detection Pump with an Autozone pump last weekend and it immediately fixed the problem. Now, a week later, it is starting back up again.

My truck is NA with JMB cam and heads. I am concerned about the issue returning so quickly, but I suspect that replacing the LDP with a Mopar OEM unit may resolve this.

I am reaching out to you all to take in your knowledge and see if there is something that I may be missing.

Thank you in advance!

2. rottenronnie

rottenronnie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Try this to reset the ECU:

Remove both battery cables from the battery then touch the cables together for a couple of seconds.
    Reconnect the cables and start it up.

3. OrlandoGT

OrlandoGT New Member

Ronnie, thank you for the tip sir. I will give that a try and post back with the results.

4. rottenronnie

rottenronnie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You be welcome.

It is worth a try.

Changing a faulty component does not (often) nor immediately put the ECU back on track and it can take SEVERAL start/stop cycles to restore it's thought processes.

It doesn't always take a faulty component to confuse the ECU.
    It IS a computer after all, and sometimes a reboot can work wonders.
    Disconnecting the battery cables is NOT a reboot; touching the cables together is, and will clear the RAM.

I had a faulty TPS unit a number of years ago that was only reading 70% duty-cycle. Although I installed a new one, the ECU wasn't aware of it and the power levels remained dismal (70%).

When I did the cable trick, it IMMEDIATELY returned to it's happy self.

AMS3 likes this.