High idle

spdrcrj

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced high idle in cooler weather? It's only in the 40's - 50's here and I've been experiencing a high idle. The truck also bucks at low rpm's when it's cold (this goes away after it warms up). When I blip the throttle, the idle comes down to normal so Im not sure if it's a tuning thing or a throttle issue. I have the mods listed below so not sure if they have anything to do with it or not.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Jim

It could be a IAC issue (Idle Air Control)... What RPM does it idle at? :dontknow:

Mine was replaced a few months ago because it idled too low, and stalled out...

Black1 said:
It could be a IAC issue (Idle Air Control)... What RPM does it idle at? :dontknow:

Mine was replaced a few months ago because it idled too low, and stalled out...

It idles around 1400-1600. Again, it'll come down to normal (750rpms) when I blip the throttle. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

spdrcrj said:
It idles around 1400-1600. Again, it'll come down to normal (750rpms) when I blip the throttle. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

That is pretty HIGH! :eek: :dontknow: I would take it in and have them run a diagnostic, or two....

Any codes thrown?

check our throttle cable... you say if you tap your throttle it comes down? only in cold weather? almost sounds like your cable its sticking

Mine does the same thing here when its cold and I hate it! Again yes, all I do is blip the throttle and it returns back... but its really pissing me off when I go to shift an what not and the rpms stay up...

Thought this was normal :dontknow:

Think I've had a few vehicles that idled just a bit quicker when it was cold, but could have sworn I had been told it was programmed that way....you could just hit the gas and it would reset, but they did that to help it get to operating temp.....

Or maybe I just dunno what I'm talking about :dontknow:

Big Perm said:
Thought this was normal :dontknow:

Think I've had a few vehicles that idled just a bit quicker when it was cold, but could have sworn I had been told it was programmed that way....you could just hit the gas and it would reset, but they did that to help it get to operating temp.....

Or maybe I just dunno what I'm talking about :dontknow:

Yeah, high idle is a normal function when its cold (below 38degs mostly).... But when it's 55 degrees outside? :dontknow: And 1600 RPM??? :dontknow: Sounds fishy to me. :dontknow:

Ok...installed my catless mids and paid close attention to the rpm's. The truck is sticking at 1000-1300 rpms. Sounds like it may be normal. I just figured that once the truck warmed up, it would go away. I thought about the throttle cable too but any movement at all in the accelerator pedal moves the cable and throttlebody valve.

There has been several posts about RPM's taking time to drop to normal. I know if I let off the gas with the clutch in I takes a while for the rpms to get down to norm!!:dontknow:

But then again I usually let off the gas with it in gear so I get that wonderful popping noise!!:rock: :D

John Stuttle said:
I had this problem once and it ended up being a bad TPS - john

Trucks not thowing any codes, would a bad TPS show up when I look for codes?

spdrcrj said:
Trucks not thowing any codes, would a bad TPS show up when I look for codes?

Mine kept doing this with no codes. Finally threw a TPS code. I swapped for a new TPS and it has solved the problem. A TPS is less than $30 so it may be worth a try, but don't blame me...............(lol) -john

LOL....I appreciate your help John. I'll keep tabs on my codes and see what happens.

I have a similar issue with high idle but it happens in all weather after driving her hard for a few seconds (or minutes) the truck idles just under 1k for about 5 - 10 seconds before returning to normal (about 700) all by itself without any throttle input. I've been meaning to post a question about it. For mods my truck has only a Magnaflow Catback and a K & N intake. I was curious if the truck maybe had an aftermarket tune in the PCM that is causing this. I purchased the truck used with 14K miles on it. Any ideas??

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back