High Mileage Observation...

Chuck B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having achieved the 100K mile club I've wondered what would be the first signs of mechanical high mileage wear. i.e. loose feeling steering, worn door hinges, Ujoints etc. One of the first signs of interior wear was a odd wear mark near the gas pedal. Its above the OEM floor matt but just left of the pedal. For the life of me I can't figure out what is causing the wear to the OEM carpet. neither the pedal or my foot rests there at anytime. Heck, I can't get anything to touch...odd. My steering wheel is finally starting to show signs of wear as well as the shift knob leather. I use Lexol leather cleaner and lotion religiously.

However, the reason I posted this is I've just observed my first mechanical wear. I know many have complained about manual transmission noise particularly with aftermarket shifters. I have a B&M and never found it to be any worse than OEM. About 4-5K miles ago I started to get noise, in particular, while in 6th gear. I can certainly tell why many of you complained as it certainly can be irritating. Holding my hand on the shifter helps.

Anyways, the other day I drove off like normal and what the heck?! The shifter is completely 'loose'. It shifts fine, holds the gears fine but once in gear it now easily slips out of the 'detent'. This allows the shift knob to move backnforth a good two inches. First and 6th still holds the shaft in place pretty good but 2nd, 3rd and 4th take almost no pressure to release the shifter. Again, its not coming out of gear just no longer able to hold the shifter into its furthermost position.

Anyone know if this 'detent' is from the shifter itself or inside the transmission. If I get some time I may install my OEM shifter and see if that fixes it.

Last edited:
I think congratulations are in order Chuck, And if that is all the wear you notice at 100,000 miles i would say well done. :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Last edited:
Good to hear truck is holding up.

I only have 15K and have rebuild the motor twice.

twice rebuilt

Bone said:

now that's something ...but i'll guess i'll talk to you about that in person!!

foxxx/pamm

scoobert said:
lack of power.
i took mine to the track the other day...before they close for the winter...

it ran almost the EXACT same as when it had 15k...she has 90k now...

nevertheless...

i still have the stock shifter...and have no issues;)

My shifter came loose. The plastic gasket melted and the bolts came loose. Remove your shifter boot and check your bolts. Congrates on 100k. I have 29k and have rebuilt the motor twice. It's up on blocks now. I hope to drive it before the end of the year.

foxxx said:
now that's something ...but i'll guess i'll talk to you about that in person!!

foxxx/pamm
Taliban Dan is the man! Plus all of the great local shops....one of the great things about being around so many good ole boy rednecks! ;'>

viperhauler said:
i took mine to the track the other day...before they close for the winter...

it ran almost the EXACT same as when it had 15k...she has 90k now...

nevertheless...

i still have the stock shifter...and have no issues;)
Not hard to reproduce a 9.50 in the 1/8th mile, even at 90K.:D :D

Bone said:

Nitrous on stock rods will do it every time:D wasn't it the 07 Nats you bent the rods?

Congrats on hitting 100k. That's good to hear!
----
Just turned 10k.
Will be putting a lot more miles on it now that it's my dd.

I never made it over 77k :(. Oh wells, my fresh rebuilt motor should last the life of the truck.

On the other hand my SRT-6 has a AMG motor, this thing will prolly last to 250k.

Bone hasn't been on here in....... Forever

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back