Horrible clatter !!!!

I'll holler at you tomorrow , maybe I can cut out early from work. I've already taken care of the crank bolt and I checked it again just recently when I installed under drive pulley.

That's surely valve spring or lifter. The spring may look fine and in tact but your find a break.

Venomous how do I tell if one is broke, if it doesn't visibliy look broke ?

Venomous how do I tell if one is broke, if it doesn't visibliy look broke ?

That's it. I've seen many collapse/break and look in tact till you see where one coil collapsed into another. Put towels around head and start it and see if you can tell anything?

Looks like I might be facing a potential rebuild. Didnt find anything wrong under the valve covers, but cut the oil filter open and found shavings in filter.

Copper shavings ? Oil pressure ?

Video sounds more than a lifter or spring but with shavings everything is different !

I had a bad rod bearing but this had more of a screeching sound whereas the rest stayed normal (soundwise)

Arne

Did you pull the drain plug & check the magnet for debris? That's how I found a 1" piece of ring stuck to it.

There not copper shavings, the oil pressure is good. Nothing is abnormal with the truck running wise, no loss of power , no smoke. Just the tapping from video and shavings in oil filter.

Looks like it may be bearing material. Like from a rod or main. Try a compression & leak down test. That may show a what cylinder is giving you trouble. It's usually only one trouble maker. You can also try taking a look inside the combustion chamber with a bore scope.

Should I just replace the bearings if that's what it is or do complete rebuild ?

With the miles your truck has might as well bite the bullet and rebuild it.

I'll help you out when I can man. I know how it feels. At least your block don't have a hole threw it!

Should I just replace the bearings if that's what it is or do complete rebuild ?

Once the engine has any kind of metal not where it is suppose to be, it has to be open for inspection. You see what can be safely saved & replace the bad.

Finally got it tore down. Found my problem, #3 rod bearing! All in all, I would say not to bad, crank wasnt hurt bad. Got crank and rods at machine shop, do you guys know if ARP rod bolts were factory on these motors?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    922.6 KB · Views: 66

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back