How do I get rid of mice?

yellowfever#154

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a new house, just moved in last October and I have a problem with mice. My deck is about 3' off the ground and the perimeter of it is nicely finished all the way to the ground with no access to get underneath. I have lots of mice living under the deck. They are digging tunnels through the grass to get underneath. What can I use to spray underneath without dismantling the deck to get rid of them? I am afraid that when winter comes they are going to try to get into the house. I have two little kids, they are one and three with another one coming in Sept. Whatever I use cannot be harmful or accessable to them.

Throw some rat bait down under there..should be able to get it from any home improvement store. Thats the easiest way.

Peanut butter on some mouse traps, placed away from your deck. That way you don't end up with dead mice stinking in a spot you can't get to. We have a ranch behind us. We got a cat last year. She has been killing everything that moves so far this year.

Peanut butter works good, I havent set any traps due to the kids but I guess I could in the evenings and move them in the mornings.

Be very careful with poison. We had rats in Vietnam in our bunkers...got some poison, and they died in the dens they made in the walls...had to tear all the sandbags out to get the rotting rats out, smelled terrible.

These days you can get a poison that is much slower to act, and is infused with salt...which makes the mice seek water away from their nests...then they die somewhere other than under your deck...

Had a mouse set up housekeeping behind my hood sound barrier two winters ago...he/she and all the off spring...got the shop vac treatment!

Interesting side note: My wife's Prius gets a nest on top of the air conditioning filter each winter. Looked for solutions on the Prius chat forum...seems that Prius owners have this problem frequently...someone suggested that since mice like this specific spot so much that a good use of a Prius would be "a better mouse trap"!!!!

http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=8039

That solves it. Buy a bunch of Priuses, apply some salt unfused peanutbutter poison in the a/c filters and set them up around your yard.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back