How Many Pulls?

RAM82A1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to put the beast on a dyno tomorrow. I'll post the results. I'll be dynoing with the mods listed. I also have Boomer's Stage II flash and 170 degree thermostat, but have not installed either yet. My thought is to do three pulls on the dyno, change out the PCM and do three more pulls. Do you guys think I risk any damage if I do those last three pulls with the Stage II but with the stock thermostat, or would I be better off going home, changing the PCM and thermostat, then go back for three more pulls? Thanks.

No you will be fine with the stock T-stat for the pulls. With the lower temp stat(170vs stock182) all that might happen is you would make 1.97532956221hp less. Have fun!!

The only thing with swapping the PCMs and immediately doing pulls, is that the PCM has not learned the truck yet, but you should be fine with the pulls (and T-stat).

If you get any pinging with the stage 2 PCM stop the pull.

You should let the truck cool down after 3 runs. Also Bone is correct. It takes a little for the PCM to relearn your truck to get the most out of it.

Bone said:
The only thing with swapping the PCMs and immediately doing pulls, is that the PCM has not learned the truck yet, but you should be fine with the pulls (and T-stat).

If you get any pinging with the stage 2 PCM stop the pull.

I was thinking the same thing right after I posted. Might better to drive the vehicle a while after the PCM and stat are installed, then do the pulls. There's no break in price for 6 pulls versus 3 (it's $53 for 3 pulls). Maybe I'll wait.

RAM82A1 said:
I was thinking the same thing right after I posted. Might better to drive the vehicle a while after the PCM and stat are installed, then do the pulls. There's no break in price for 6 pulls versus 3 (it's $53 for 3 pulls). Maybe I'll wait.
If you would have given me some notice, I would have taken off from work and met you there. I need to dyno mine anyhow and update it. Spend the extra 10 bucks and do it with their O2 sensor. You can see if you are running lean or rich.

It's a good price for pulls. Just remember, if you are driving the pulls, DON'T hit the brake after the pull.

Like they said, have them put a fan to your raditator between pulls and during pulls. They should have one.

That's an idea, have a dyno day/GTG for the GA group?! See if we can get a discount if we load up their shop?!

I would just do the pulls & swap the computers out....

You will be in open loop anyways, and it will be reading fixed parameters on the fuel tables and timing, and the non-fixed parameters don't need to 'learn' (iat, coolant temp, etc..)

You would get a more accurate reading that way also, since you will be somewhat consistant with the humidity, temp, etc...

-Red

....after the swapout O.L. or if the engine is cold.

SWIFT said:
Damn, I pay 95$ for 3-4 pulls with a/f:(

THAT S**** SWIFT.... I PAY 50 FOR 3 PULLS BUT WE END UP DOING 6 PULLS...
3 PULLS 15 MIN. BREAK AND THEN THE OHER 3 PULLS.

Well, the results are in and they're not very good. 412 RWHP and 438 RWTQ (SAE). The pulls were done in 4th gear and I only did 3 pulls. I will change the PCM and thermostat and give it another go in a week or so. Any ideas on why so low:dontknow:

Also, they would not connect to a spark plug lead to monitor rpm, but found a coil wire under the intake. They used it instead. How did they monitor rpm for some of you guys?

Bone - they do group discounts of 10 or more. The pulls have to be set up on the weekend. For 10 or more people, it's $35 for 3 pulls.

Dont get discouraged. Every dyno reads alittle differently, your torque numbers dont look too bad. They are identical to mine. Was it a Mustang dyno? Did you give a good cool down betwwen runs. The first is always the lowest and the 2nd is normally the highest. They didnt check a/f? If it wasnt strapped down good it could have spun a hair. My truck only made 470rwhp on the 125 shot until he tightened down the straps because of wheel spin. Check your plugs and fill up with some good gas and try again. You look to be down maybe 25 on the hp side, based on the magnaflows and k&N

Dont get discouraged man...there are SOOOO many factors that can go into why yours is slightly lower. What was the temp / humid/etc?

Air/Fuel?

Did you do the pull cold or hot?

I don't know who the manufacturer of the dyno is. The first pull was he best and there was no cool down between runs. The A/F was not measured. As far as the test conditions go - Temp 60 degrees, humidity 20%, barometric pressure 29.56. But all that really shouldn't matter since the numbers were corrected to SAE, right?

Correct, sorry I did not see the SAE....

hmmm.....not really sure what else besides the low numbers/dyno itself, or the truck is making that amount of power :dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back